Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
I see Powelly,s got himself fixed u at Leicester - 6 month contract:

Powell signing pleases Pearson

Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson says veteran defender Chris Powell will add valuable experience to the side.

The 38-year-old left-back has signed a six-month contract with the Foxes after impressing Pearson during a week training with the club.

"Chris is a very experienced head who will complement our young backline very well," Pearson told the club's website.

"He has been put through some rigorous testing this week and passed with flying colours."

The left-back began his career with Crystal Palace before spells with Aldershot, Southend and Derby.

His most memorable period however was at Charlton, where he was handed an England call-up in 2001 by Sven-Goran Eriksson.

He went on to play for West Ham and Watford before rejoining Charlton.

Powell could make his debut for Leicester in Wednesday's League Cup match against Fulham.

Comments

• Options
    Already looking forward to seeing him be part of our coaching team at some point in the future.
  • Options
    yep

locked on for next season
  • Options
    According to the LCFC website Powelly played last night in there 3-2 defeat to Fulham. Glad to see he has sorted himself out a club.
  • Options
    He's playing on for 2 reasons:

1) He loves playing - just for the sake of it. You're a long time finished, so play while you can (I know I do ..!...)

2) He's proud to be PFA Chairman and doesn't want to be forced to quit - only current players can be chairman.
  • Options
    a part of me wishes he had retired for 2 reason.

a) dont want him playing bad and getting slated by lCFC fans
    b) it dont feel right seeing him play for another team

but still wish him all the best. hope he brings a book out one day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]a part of me wishes he had retired for 2 reason.

You make Sir Chris sound as if he's your ex-missus

;o)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    lol -

;o)[/quote]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]a part of me wishes he had retired for 2 reason.

Don't worry they still have Kish, voted the worst player to ever have played in a Foxes shirt
  • Options
    "Don't worry they still have Kish, voted the worst player to ever have played in a Foxes shirt"

Sounds like Foxes fans have a lot more footballing sense then ours then! Remember all those Kish fans!!
  • Options
    Oi, leave our Len out of this .....!

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't comment on how Kish has done or not done for Leicester but all I know is that he played a major role in keeping us in the Premiership for 7 seasons and hardly played the year we got relegated.

If and when we pick our 10 legends for the 2000s he will be on my list along with Sir Christopher Powell.

Kish put so much into a game that I suspect his legs are not what they were hence the verdict of the Leicester fans. As others have said I hope Sir Chris doesn't get tarred with the same brush in his footballing dotage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I can't comment on how Kish has done or not done for Leicester but all I know is that he played a major role in keeping us in the Premiership for 7 seasons and hardly played the year we got relegated.

If and when we pick our 10 legends for the 2000s he will be on my list along with Sir Christopher Powell.

Kish put so much into a game that I suspect his legs are not what they were hence the verdict of the Leicester fans. As others have said I hope Sir Chris doesn't get tarred with the same brush in his footballing dotage.

Very well said Len. Kish was a hugely important player for us.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I can't comment on how Kish has done or not done for Leicester but all I know is that he played a major role in keeping us in the Premiership for 7 seasons and hardly played the year we got relegated.

Kish put so much into a game that I suspect his legs are not what they were hence the verdict of the Leicester fans. As others have said I hope Sir Chris doesn't get tarred with the same brush in his footballing dotage.[/quote]

It wasn't long ago that Leeds fans were giving him rave reviews, however when you are in a struggling team it's common to find fault with everything and everyone connected with that club.
  • Options
    You're telling me, BFR ...........!

Bang on!
  • Options
    Len I'm with you,I claim to be his number 1 fan but you shout louder than me so I will settle for No 2.Still can picture his face when he scored the fourth against West Ham what a sight of pure joy.
  • Options
    Humbug. The guy was a brilliant bloke and put his heart in it, but not a footballer.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think we'd seen his (kish's) best by the time our relegation year came along, agree in his prime he certainly made a contribution, but I think the majority of players in that era did. I wouldn't say he was head and shoulders above tho so not sure I would mark him out.
  • Options
    Kish came to us as a fullback, I think ..... always remember that match away to Derby where Kish got anihilated but somehow we scraped a 2-2 draw.

He was mainly played in right midfield after that, - but one match where we beat Pompey at home 2-1 (late goal by Jason Euell, was it - can't remember?) he was outstanding in centre mid.

In his early days he had some nice touches and took his time with his passing.

But as a regular holding midfielder, a lot of that went out of the window in a frenzy of non-stop graft and tracking back to cover others not doing their own job. In short, he worked too hard and tried to do too much.

But he was obviously a demon to play against, closing opponents down quickly and in their face - even if his distribution could be a bit hit or miss. He would still attempt a defence splitting pass which when it did come off, never seemed to be given the credit for in the same way as if Parker or Jensen had struck it. Obviously, Curbs valued him for the way he crashed around the park stopping opponents playing - and "p'raps..." guaranteed him a place if he kept up his tremendous work rate.

Love him or loathe him, Kish gave us 100% committed performances for 7 years - and was a player who would have laid down his life for Charlton.

For that alone, he should be recognised and appreciated, in this age of the mercenary.
  • Options
    Aye to that, Oggy.
  • Options
    No argument over Kish in my book. Not a gifted player technically, couldn't pass more than ten yards to a team-mate and couldn't trap a wet bag of cement if you dropped it on his foot. However, I would take one Kish in my squad over ten Diawaras, Fayes, Rommedahls, M Bents etc etc. Put more graft in than any player in a Charlton shirt over the last ten years and genuinely loved the club - legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aye but surely we could name more than 10 players of that ilk from the noughties? hmmm