Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Akinde

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Anyone know anything about him?

A football transfer is to be decided by an internet vote of thousands of supporters for the very first time.

Members of myfootballclub.co.uk (MFC), who own Ebbsfleet United, will decide if they should accept a £140,000 offer from an unnamed club for John Akinde.

"It's quite historic," MFC founder Will Brooks told BBC Sport.

"The summer has been full of talk about Gareth Barry and Cristiano Ronaldo, but this transfer allows fans to have a say in whether it is right for the club."

The 30,000 plus members have 48 hours to decide whether they should sell the highly rated 19-year-old striker, who has played less than 20 games for Ebbsfleet

He has already been watched by Chelsea scouts and the club have turned down an offer for Akinde from League One side Peterborough.

606: DEBATE
Your thoughts on Akinde's transfer
The non-league side's manager Liam Daish and board has recommended the striker should be sold to allow him to play at a higher level.

Players who have recently turned professional like Akinde are unlikely to be earning more than £200 a week.

"The fans are legal owners of the club," added Brooks. "Whereas transfers at other clubs are decided by a few board members this decision will be taken by 30,000 board members."

Earlier this year over 20,000 MyFootballClub members, who had each paid £35 to provide a £700,000 takeover pot, took control of Ebbsfleet, to give each fan an equal share in the club.

Since then members have voted on a number of major decisions affecting the club, including the price of season-tickets to watch Ebbsfleet, but this is the first time a transfer will be decided by the team's fans.

MFC's membership now stands at over 30,000 people, with members living in 122 countries.

"It has become very apparent that members are taking the responsibility of ownership very seriously and considering decisions made so far."

In July MFC members helped raised £20,000 to enable Daish to buy striker Michael Gash from Cambridge.

Comments

• one to keep an eye on i believe, very young very strong very raw,pards kind of player me thinks.
  • One of our youth?
  • michael gash , he he
  • Definitely sounds like a Pards target.

Striker who scores goals? Tick the box.
    Non-league player? Nailed on. FACT!

Pards next signing. You heard it here first, lol

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]michael gash , he he

mike gash!??! quality!
  • Bit of a twat apparently .....(groan)

Sorry! ;o)
  • lol, oggy!!!!
  • I've cast my vote in favor of the sale, which seems a remarkable bit of business for Liam and Ebbsfleet United.

Ebbsfleet does feature a former Charlton academy player -- who perhaps some here recall -- 23-year old right winger (and Trinidad & Tobago international) Ricky Shakes.
  • Think its Millwall that are after him. It was in the SLP couple of weeks ago they were looking at him. May change some peoples vots
  • Mike Gash sounds more like one of Dowie's transfers ..........
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]Think its Millwall that are after him.

It's not Millwall.
  • Come on AFKA.....is it us?

He ticks all the Pardew signing boxes.....
  • I got the voting thing through last night from Ebbsfleet. I really like what those guys have done and I'm pleased to support them (financially - I've got other stuff to do on Saturdays). He's one of Ebbs' youth products and has done well. They also have not only Shakes but also Ricketts and Long, who's easily their best player IMO.

The vast majority of Fleet fans are saying take the money as Gash and Moore can do a decent job up front anyway so not sure that he's anything like Championship level.
  • Palace are desperate for a striker?
  • M- Cheers. I did not realize that there were that many players with Charlton connections on Ebbsfleet (particularly embarrassed about not realizing that Long was a Charlton academy product).
  • Stacy Long was a contemopary of Osei Sankofa ....... they played for England Schoolboys together all the way through to Charlton reserves - then long went to Luton or Notts County or somewhere
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Palace are desperate for a striker?

Alan Lee from Ipswich Im hearing
  • Chris from Sidcup I'm hearing
  • Bristol City to sign him tomo
  • I would have thought at 140 grand he would have been worth a punt. Several clubs were interested, so must have something. With our connections with Ebbsfleet, I 'd expect us to have been in pole position. If he wasn't successful, we would surely get our money back and a bit more. I ll be well annoyed, if he turns out to be a decent player. (and anyway,how did Bristol City know about him)
  • Sponsored links:

• Couldn't see him getting his chance with all our strikers. Given our very limited funds I can't see that we could have taken a punt.
  • [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]I would have thought at 140 grand he would have been worth a punt. Several clubs were interested, so must have something. With our connections with Ebbsfleet, I 'd expect us to have been in pole position. If he wasn't successful, we would surely get our money back and a bit more. I ll be well annoyed, if he turns out to be a decent player. (and anyway,how did Bristol City know about him)

fair points but everytime we are linked with a non-league player there are just as many people moaning about "why are we only after unproven players, waste of money, buy someone with experience, does Pardew watch them on Youtube, blah, blah, blah".

Personally I think we have Dickson and Fleetwood who both need to prove themselves at this level already.
  • My uncle is a member of myfootballclub and he told me that John akinde wants to move to Bristol City in a 140,000 move
  • [cite]Posted By: STUBERNAITOR[/cite]My uncle is a member of myfootballclub and he told me that John akinde wants to move to Bristol City in a 140,000 move

Everyone has known that for the last few days.
  • edited September 2008
    Speaking to a guy I work with (Ebbsfleet Club Mascot) he said that they accepted offers from Palace, Peterboro and Brizzle. He turned down Palace because when he spoke to Colin he was told he's be playing reserves and youth games only.

Colin - You need some lessons in closing mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Speaking to a guy I work with (Ebbsfleet Club Mascot) he said that they accepted offers from Palace, Peterboro and Brizzle. He turned down Palace because when he spoke to Colin he was told he's be playing reserves and youth games only.

Colin - You need some lessons in closing mate.

LOL, Dan ..... ;o)

Let's face it, he's hardly likely to make his debut for Brizzle City on Saturday, is he?
  • edited September 2008
    In my opinion i reckon this kid could be some player in a couple of years if he progesses well with Bristol. Though he's raw at the moment, there is a lot of promise there. Good eye for goal, and very pacy.

Good deal for ebbsfleet. 150k plus another 25k after ten games and a 20% sell on clause.
  • That's what we think about Chris Dickson.
  • True Oggy, but untill he gets more than 15 minutes to prove himself, we'll never know.
  • True Bexley, when's Dicko going to get a decent run of games?

I'd love to see him playing off Gray's shoulder ..... with Varney with all his energetic running, wide or in a free role.