Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3 games in, what have you learnt.........

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
have a think about this one and give it a bit of consideration. Try and keep this as peoples thoughts rather than disagreeing on points etc.

Three games in, what have you learnt compared to your feelings in pre-season on:

a) the strength and depth of the squad

b) your views on the manager

c) the apparent cost-cutting exercise the club have been through

d) the rest of the division, who the main contenders will be etc

e) where we will finish

we can review again at the quarter point, halfway point etc.

Comments

• Options
    It's a funny old game
  • Options
    A) Possibly a weaker squad but the togetherness is apparent and we are playing better football with 'lesser' players.

B) Dont think there is anybody better out there who WOULD come to us in uor predicament

C) Three years to late IMO

D) Cant see beyond Birmingham and Wolves, Forest as outsiders

E) 3rd
  • Options
    a) Slimmer squad has meant a stronger team.

b) So far, so good.

c) Had to happen to secure the future.

d) Brum and then its all open.

e) 2nd (but maybe top)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    a) Looks good. Still need to sort out central defence cover. But if gray and varney do what we thought they'd do last season, i've no problem with the strikers, considering what we have as back up. Not many other champ clubs have a strike force as strong as ours. Midfields looking good, it actually looks like we will be able to rest holland (unlike last season) every now and then.

b) He's the man for the job.

c) We've sold players that were high on wage bill (m.bent, thomas etc) which can only be good. It's obviously been done for the good of the club, and to make sure we have a future. Considering every season there is now at least 4 clubs in major financial trouble, I would rather have a couple of seasons of keeping it tight with the money, rather than having no club at all.

d) Still feel birmingham will go straight up, especially with phillips doing what phillips does. Wolves, Sheffield united.

e) Top 6, at this moment no idea where in the 6 though.
  • Options
    This is after the Reading game - I'm sure reactions would have been different before!

Obviously we realise we are short of numbers at the back. If we get Primus/another centre back, we are fairly well covered in most areas. There should be goals in the squad based on Saturday's performance, and hopefully the defence can stay strong.

If we get a couple of injuries in defence or in wide areas we could be struggling for quality.

Jury is still out after a year and a half. One week gets us playing well, the next we look awful. Sometimes comes out with strange comments, other times comes out with things you nod your head and agree with. He may have finally got a couple of signings truly "right" with Bailey, Bouazza, and his management of Varney seems to be working well.

I firmly believe that it will make us stronger on and off the pitch. A closer, tighter squad with less flexibility means Pardew can't chop and change at the slightest thing. Hopefully this will mean we can gel quicker. On saturday, the celebrations of the goals looked like a proper team. Off the pitch, the cost cutting means we survve, so have no problems with that.

I think automatic will be Birmingham and one other. Reading didn't look particularly strong or together on saturday and reminded me of us last year. Wolves look strong so far, and I imagine come the end of the season, the likes of Ipswich, Sheff Utd, Q.P.R, Derby, Reading etc will be up there.

Surprise packages - Swansea, Cardiff, Nottm Forest, perhaps Coventry.

Relegation - Blackpool, Doncaster, Plymouth, Sheff Wed, Southampton

e) where we will finish

I think we''ll make a push for the playoffs. We look more of a team than last year, and have a bit more leadership with Hudson. As long as we don't get too many injuries in key areas, we could achieve playoffs.
  • Options
    a) the strength and depth of the squad: threadbare I like the first 14 or so but is that enough in this league - I doubt it?

b) your views on the manager: no change still doesn't seem to have much of a clue about his players ability to perform, or much tactical nous, and letting big Chris go was a big mistake, can only conclude he's been very lucky in past successes

c) the apparent cost-cutting exercise the club have been through:

time will tell its too early to say, but some underperforming overpaid persons have gone so perhaps that will help. On the flip side we are seriously short of cover in most areas, but in particular at experienced centre half.

d) the rest of the division, who the main contenders will be etc:

Birmingham seem to have bought well so should be up there challenging with Wolves perhaps and QPR on paper at least.
    Newly promoted Forest and Swansea look good but I think the latter will tail off, Derby and Reading may be around the playoffs but I can't see them running away with anything. Palace and Barnsley and Doncaster in the basement.

e) where we will finish:

too early to say, are we still responding to attacks with counter attacks and preferring the open game as we did last year and struggling to open up those who defend in depth perhaps? Unless this is 'solved' we will be mid table or worse.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    a) One or two more defensive additions needed. Midfield and attack covered by promising young players (Shelvey, Dickson etc) rather than greedy Premiership has beens. Feels like an altogether more Charlton team.

b) Love him. Even last season. Think his positive attitude is great. Sometimes gets it wrong, and can look silly, but he's got the right intentions and I believe he wants the best for CAFC. The players love his man-management skills (the Varney goal celebration). If we can keep the sort of spirit that was on show against Reading, Pards and the team will do well.

c) Had to happen. I think the club looks and feels like a leaner, meaner beast now. Rather than the podgy, lumbering, baggage-carrying Premiership outfit we were last season.

d) Wolves, Birmingham, Derby, Palace, Sheff U.

e) I'll go for 5th. And I'd be happy with that.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think we had one of the toughest starts to the campaign.

Swansea at home same as scunny last season we had nothing to gain everything to loose so a win was vital.

away to Watford they will be there or there abouts at the end of season a one nil loss with 10 men not to bad imo

home to Reading one of the favorites to win the league

6 points, 6 goals for 3 conceded in those fixtures i would have ripped your arm off for

good performance at home to the jacks not too impresive but good enough

Reading excellent footie great team win looked capable of scoring lots of goals

The team are stronger more together, yoof is looking quailty.

Bailey star signing, shelvey can be used nore spairngly (however i would love to see shelvey and bailey together) i think holland is the nutts and deserves the chance to play how he needs to at his age and not covering for the whole midfield.

Gray is under the radar at the moment 4 in 4 at home shouldnt be ignored if he can keep that home form up we will win this league as i can see us being difficult tpo play against if we maintain the squad.

Bouazza will be the surprise package for us this season.

i hope that Varney gets confident enough to be a striker as that is my only concern

i reckon we can win this league by staying out side the favorites a lot of people tipping us for a worse season than last year but i dont see that at all i reckon his 2 yr plan may come good
  • Options
    I've learnt I ain't missing it one little BIT.

But my two pennys worth

a) the strength and depth of the squad - might be a little weaker but thwe players we do have have the hunger and will to play for Charlton that much is evident so far.

b) your views on the manager - not been brilliant but under the circumstances who would do better- could be worse could have that littl fat scouser at Derby

c) the apparent cost-cutting exercise the club have been through - think that was inevitable and we'll come out stronger the other end.

d) the rest of the division, who the main contenders will be etc - Birmingham will win it comfortably IMO - wolves will be up there with them and inevitably QPR but we;ll be there or there abouts.

e) where we will finish - 4th
  • Options
    a. Not quite sure why yet, but Elliot gives me more confidence as back-up than Randolph (whom the Irish rate v highly). Further experience (Primus?) at the back never goes amiss, but Fortune's showing what he's capable of alongside the excellent Hudson we expected. Midfield now looks so much stronger with Bailey hopefully becoming the fulcrum. If ZZ goes we at least have Ambrose & Shelvey to come in, and Racon made a very promising start. We might even have a winger now who crosses and shoots accurately. I was worried about goals up front, but they've both started v well which, if it continus, also eases the pressure on the squad forwards when they step in. Still reckon we have decent back-up there.

b. He's clearly made mistakes, but I was happy to keep him, and perhaps now we can see what he really brings; teams that play with confidence and flair to go with his very public self-confidence. He's a very different character to Curbs who kept his cards very close to his chest; cutting through some of the spin I quite like his forthright appraisals, and positive approach.

c. Watching your leading players leave is never easy, but if the new faces at board level are as careful with the club as their immediate predecessors (with RM still there), we're in good hands, and it was clearly seen as something that had to be done. After the exile years we know more than most about the traumas bad financial management can bring. Bizarrely, just as I was preparing myself for the classic "transition" period, a new bond already appears to be forging in the leaner, meaner squad where very promising youth players have a genuine chance if they're god enough. Can we really already see the benefits of offloading the mercenaries?

d. Brum have certainly fulfilled early expectations. Reading who I also fancied looked more like us last season. Wolves appear to have spent well and will be hard to beat. Sheff Utd. wil surely be better without Robson in charge, and QPR have all the dosh (still, they also have Dowie!). Thought Ipswich would start better after their scary home form last season.

e. I had us down for 10th, but if we can recapture the belief on & off the pitch from the Reading game perhaps we can at least flirt with the p/o's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At our strongest we can beat anybody in the division just as we could and did last season. It is too early to say whether or not we will suffer from the inconsistency which blighted us last season. There are certain positions where we lack depth in my opinion particularly midfield and centre back.

Unchanged. He was always going to be fired up for Reading as it was one of his former clubs.

As said above I think our strongest team has the potential to do well in this division so in that sense it may not have affected us too badly.

I can't see too far beyond Birmingham, Wolves and Reading if they can hold onto their star players until the window shuts. Cardiff could be a surprise package and I wouldn't underestimate Coventy and Bristol City.

e) where we will finish

Until we display some consistency I'll stick with what I said before on the prediction thread. 13th or 14th I don't remember which.
  • Options
    Happier with the strength of the first choice team after seeing what they can do on Sat, but still feel we are very vulnerable to injuries/ suspensions to key performers. We must have learnt last year that this division is very demanding, esp once the midweek games start to come thick and fast.

Still has a lot to prove to me - consistency being one of the first. Ask me again after we've won three in a row!

Didn't see it coming to the extent it did, but accept that it has been a wise thing to do, and may have ultimately created more of a spirit of togetherness.

I think Ipswich will be right up there, and Brum. Bristol City could remain contenders. Many others in the mix too.

e) where we will finish
    With a LOT of luck, built from early momentum and avoiding injuries, we could make the play offs, which I wouldn't have said three weeks ago.
  • Options

I believe defensively we are a little on the weak side, even with our strongest line up. But then, I see that Pards will counter that with a 'best means of defence is attack' policy. Expect plenty of goals at both ends, and hopefully we'll outscore opponents often enough to build up a decent tally of points. But don't be too disappointed if we end up losing at Blackpool 5-3 again or beating Birmingham 3-2 after being a goal down.

I too like Pards positivity, what's the point of being morose and downbeat when a result goes against you?
    His job is to lift the players and make sure they are up for the next match - it's a results business. It's evident also that the players think much more of him than many posters on here.
    Strangely, Pards' 2nd full season is shaping up similar to the promotion seasons he had with Reading and West Ham.
    Now that is spooky ......so perhaps we just have to trust in Pards.

The sales have produced the inwards funds needed and released big contracts to create a much more positive cashflow.
    That's the Board just doing their job, I suppose. But there's a good vibe goinng through the club at the moment and a squad of generally much younger and eager players keen to be successful

At this stage, I don't think we need worry about where others will finish the season. After 10 games, the table starts to take shape - but it'll be after Xmas before it really begins to matter. Who cares who the other contenders are, I'm a Charlton supporter and I only care where Charlton finish.........

e) where we will finish

We've made a promising start, not perfect ....... but we've given 3 highly rated sides each a tough game.
    At times on Saturday we tore a very handy Reading side to shreds, and they are one of the favourites for promotion.
    If we can do that often enough, we should be well on course for at least a play off place.
    From a fans point of view, I think we'll have a satisfying season, whatever our final placing.
  • Options
    a) the strength and depth of the squad - This is a concern, our first 11 look good enough but with only 20 senior players, two loanees and 10 youngsters we clearly lack depth in experience. Hopefully the youngsters will come good (as has Basey) when they get their chance which I think will be sooner rather than later

b) your views on the manager - I was starting to have doubts before Saturday as to how good tactically Pardew is. Was looking like our players were doing better once they left the Valley and that our only response to poor performance was to change the team and/or bring in new players. The lack of choice this year will be the measure of Pards. With a fixed squad it will be down to tactics and motivation.

c) the apparent cost-cutting exercise the club have been through. I think/fear this is just the beginning we have spent more than we have and to live on our post parachute income (I read somewhere this is £7M from tickets, shop etc) we will see further cuts. Pard's salary was £750K? A good championship player is on £500K per year we cannot afford many of these.

d) the rest of the division, who the main contenders will be etc. Birmingham and Reading definately, Wolves probably. Hate to say it but QPR probably. For relegation - Norwich, Southampton, Doncaster, Blackpool, Plymouth

e) where we will finish. I think without injuries to key players we can contend for the playoffs and could be 5th or 6th. I think this is unlikely in this league and the most likely outcome is mid table.
  • Options
    Champions Champions champions
  • Options
    My views as we stand today:

Decent quality if our best 11 all play at the top of their game. But injuries and exhaustion, and the long winter grind, poor weather and so on, suggests to me that we need to have adequate cover. At the moment we are short in central defence, and could also do with an attacking midfielder if ZZ is to depart.

Undecided, his decision making last season, and his negative vibes when we are forced to sell, make me wonder if he will be able to plan for, and tackle difficulties well; and if he will hide behind excuses about the squad when really he has made a poor judgement himself. If the lads play as a team, give 100%, but are beaten by better sides, or wonderful goals, whilst really trying....then I will accept Pards efforts.

Better this summer than next if we don't go up, when we would be prey to all kinds of vultures. Slash and burn, leaner fitter...I know we've lost Magic, probably ZZ...but also Bent Faye and Thomas....McCarthy/Hudson is a bit of a balance...and at least we still have potential choice, if not quality up front. Oh...and Nicky Bailey

Birmingham, Wolves, QPR, Bristol City I reckon will go well.
    Blackpool to struggle.
    Suprise package? Doncaster Rovers
    Dark Horses? Cardiff City

e) where we will finish
    IF our FIRST objective is to fight like mad to reach 53 points, and we hope to get there by the end of January (but we MUST get there), then I reckon that mindset might well be a platform for gathering more points than we think. Under Curbs we could end seasons poorly, but I think under Pards if we're in a position to challenge this season, by early Spring, then we will make the play offs....once there it's anybodys guess.

Seth
  • Options
    Ok

a: Not a deep squad to pick from, but seem to know eachother this year.

b: I like Pards he has always been described to me as a 2-3 season manager.

c: Good job cutting out the deadwood, and some good looking young hungry signings.

d: Promotion contendors Birmingham, Wolves, Watford. Relegation contendors Swansea, Coventry, Palace. ;o)

e: I truly believe automatic is possible so here's hoping, if playoffs we'll go all the way!

COME ON YOU REDS
  • Options

I think we're alright, definitely need a centre back or two. If we don't get one in before the end of the window i'll be concerened.

Difficult one this. Part of me still likes Pards but he can annoy the hell out of me with some of his actions. I also don't think getting rid of him would do us any favours what so ever. Especially after the cost cutting we've just been/going through.

I think its essential, sad as it is to see some players go I back the board fully in keeping the club afloat. My dad's told me stories of going through a season with Charlton firmly believing they wouldn't exisist the following one and trying to work out who to support next. In my eyes any player can leave to make sure I never feel like that. I'm going to see a lot of players come and go in my time as an Addick but the one thing I never want to see change is who they're coming to and going from.

Before the season started I really believed that Birmingham would come a cropper this season, however it certainly seems they're going to prove me wrong. They do look a class above so I can't see past them winning it thus far. Wolves will be there or there abouts I'd imagine. I think Palace will struggle (not just saying that I sincerely do) Blackpool also.

e) where we will finish

I think we have a better shot at the play offs than we did last season because the pressure is a lot lighter on the players shoulders and Pards' won't be able to chop and change as much as he did last season and I think stability is the key to success. Although the bright lights of The Premiership aren't as appealing as they once were to me.
  • Options
    Three games in, what have you learnt compared to your feelings in pre-season on:

Our main starting 11 this season is no weaker than last season imo at the back replacing bougy with Hudson probably more suited to this division although won’t argue bougy is the better footballer. Gray is better than big chris will hold it up more for others to join in. Losing Thomas is not irreplaceable as seen with bouazza performance sat hope he can keep it up. Reid is obviously a big miss but not sure he wasn’t kicked out of this league. The depth is a problem especially at CH

The right man for the job gets a lot of unfair criticism and can seem to do no right for some. Maybe a bit to open but I feel it generates more interest for us supporters even if it backfires at times.

The board are the only people that know our situation and I have enough trust in this board that if they say it needs to be done then so be it. We must not return to where we have been let’s remember.

Still wide open as last season good momentum a couple of 6 wins on the spin runs and its anybody’s. Birmingham I feel have the firepower but we will see

e) where we will finish
    The play offs maybe lacking that depth but a real togetherness and good run of luck should be enough.
  • Options
    Some girls are bigger than others
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Three games in and it looks more of a united squad than it did last year, having had a year to settle in players like semedo has helped and the those that have come in recently - Hudson and Bailey look like they have the right character to become leaders on the pitch, which is what we've missed. If a few more judicious signings could be made of players with the right character - eg Primus then we'll have the hard tough edge that we lacked too often last year. The football in the CCC seems to be less cultured than in the Premier League - that caught us out last year and seems to have hit Reading for example this year (based on the last match). In reserve we have a few good kids like Shelvey coming through, hopefully this will metamorphise into something good...

As I said pre-season this is a big year for Pards - at Reading and WH his star was in the ascendancy, but two poor years have raised questions about whether his ambitions are running ahead of his actual abilities. A smaller squad will mean less tinkering.

That can go two ways - it can give the squad the impression that Charlton is unambitious or it can bring the players together in a "we are all in this together" type of attitude. The squad trimming though, Andy Reid apart, seems to have gotten rid of one or two players like Jerome Thomas who were underachievers and that might have a positive consequence on morale. Despatching Faye and Bent M (and JT) should though leave the balance sheet in a better situation to bring players in. Hopefully this is pruning back to allow the plant to grow.

Too early to say, I think we will be a force to be contended with, particularly if we can bulid a Fortress Valley reputation and develop a harder/meaner defence that doesn't let in stupid goals.

e) where we will finish

On a high...
  • Options
    when we went up in the play off's the valley was a fortress,it would be great to turn up for games expecting to win.
  • Options
    I always expect to win just end up dissapointed sometimes
  • Options

We seem to have a spine now in Weaver, Hudson, Bailey and Gray (who is finally showing what he was bought for)

Need more cover at the back, obviously, but other than Magic, Gibbs and ZZ (if he does leave) not too worried over the other exits.

Players like Semedo, Yassin and Racon should be better in their 2nd seasons. Varney's goals, or lack of, will be crucial.

My one concern is that too much burden will be placed on the youngsters if we have an injury/suspension crisis

Was never head over heels in love with him when he came (unlike some on here) and don't hate him now (unlike some on here). He came in when we were in a mess on the pitch and has had to deal with the difficult situation of being an ex-prem side trying to get back up. He's made mistakes (buying McCarthy and messing about with the side being but two)but seems to have got the right people in now in Bailey, Hudson and Bouazza.

Let's let him get on the the job.

Not sure where the word "apparent" came from. Not nice but planned, thought out and necessary. If your income drops then so should your expenditure.

Birmingham and Sheffield United

e) where we will finish

6th and go up via the play offs
  • Options
    SE7SE7
    edited August 2008

As 'Charltonparklane' has said this is not our strongest squad, but yes the togetherness is apparent, especially with Varney and Gray, and there is a reasonable amount of depth but we cannot afford to many injuries!

All Pards needs to do is not get desperate and keep changing the squad around like last season, all we need is another centre back to replace Fortune, Primus may be quite good, but he is only temporary.

I agree with it, we in recent years have spent far to much on players who don't deliver, cheap and cheerful is the way to go and IF we get promoted then we can start to experiment again.

Birmingham will win the league, I think Wolves will be big contenders this season and Bristol may be a threat, along with Sheffield Utd.

e) where we will finish

Too early to tell, I mean where were Hull after 3 games, I just want a reasonable start and make sure we have enough in the tank to try and have a good finish and solidify our place at least in the top 6, or maybe better, as an optimist I would say 4th, and hopeful in the playoffs.
  • Options
    a) Good in some areas - particularly the key one - central mid: obviously trreadbare in others, partcularly central defence.
    b) he was his own worst enemy last year. This year without the ability to chop and change in the face of every setback and without a target man he should allow a settled squad to play a bit more football. Signings all looking good to great, so far.
    c) a necessary evil Last season was a shocking balls up by the club. If you're going to gamble on going back up, don't flog your best player on deadline day. We kept a bunch of expensive premiership players but allowed the best one to leave half way through the season. The clear out should have either happened this time last year or we should have hung onto Reid and properly gone for it. One or the other. He was under contract and would have given his best for us. We had one of the poorest central midfield line-ups in the league, last year once he was gone.
    d) Reading despite Saturday and Birmingham, 1 and 2. I'll stick my neck out and say that Burnley will stick in a run and end up top half to play offs.
    e) 6th
  • Options
    good thread, interesting thoughts.

Though it just goes to show we're still in the Premiership short-term 'game by game' mentality as i'm sure these comments would of been very different had we not performed so well against Reading !
  • Options
    ha ha surely that is a the problem with asking the question after 3 games in the first place??

Also much of these thoughts must carry on from last season?
  • Options
    Suggestion, AFKA ....... why not ask the question after 10 games?

The table and results then will begin to shape up the season - and focus people's thoughts without too much of last year's influence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Suggestion, AFKA ....... why not ask the question after 10 games?

I said in the first post Oggy we'll ask again at varying stages of the season and compare how thoughts have changed.