Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Macedonians: UK - Australia Grudge Match

A social worker I work with is Macedonian and went back to his homeland as part of a yearly thing where Macedonians who live in other countries return for a football tournament, representing their countries.

The semi-final was MAC-England vs MAC-Australia. There's a population of around 500,000 Macedonians in Australia and their team held more than a few ex-pros so England were the underdogs. But the English Macs managed to score early and went on to win 3 - 0.

What I really liked about the game was that there was a lot of needle based on the fact that it was Australia vs England, despite all of them being Macedonian. Tackles were flying, mini-scuffles starting, proper grudge match. And to top it all off, as the MAC-England bus drove off after the match, the team were leaning out the windows singing to the Aussies: "Ingerland, Ingerland, Ingerland!"

Something about migrant-workers adopting our national grudges really lit something up in me. Good on em.

Comments