Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Secret Millionaire..??

Now i know its sad to say but my eyes do feel up at the programme..and me and good lady feel compeled to get of our arses and volunteer for something..i know its proberly not as it is on tv and some of it may be acted out to a certain extent....but it still makes me feel good and sad at same time....but what gets my back up is that most of the people and groups only need a few thousands to make a differance......and it disgusting how much Ken and his like have spu*ked away over the years to vearious iffy organisations......rant over but like the guy running the farm last night what was it 12k and it was like he had won the pools ( oops showing age...lottery ).....

Comments

• Great show, watched every episode this series and it makes you think there are decent people in the world.

And its not the amount of money they give or anything like that, its the fact that these guys take time out to go and see what hard work goes on in difficult communities and actually appreciate what they have got. Its a show about self-realisation as much as helping out those in need.

The guy last week was brilliant as well - when he gave the blind guy a Rangers season ticket and a new guide dog. Really did make me well up - never thought that had nosed Jock could be bought!
  • That blind guy last week...when the millionaire told him of his wealth, I thought he was going to get up and start attacking him whilst spluttering out words about how he'd been abused and lied to since he became blind and now the millionaire was doing the same and that he could shove his money where the sun don't shine...

but it was the money for the guide dogs that won him over I think!

In last nights show it made me realise how in some parts of the country, there really is nothing for young people to do. I think sometimes that is used as an excuse for young people to go around terrorizing people, but in that street last night you could see it. Thats why it was so important for those social clubs and farms etc to continue because you could SEE what difference they were making to the whole community.
  • See it for the first time last night great show
  • What was significant to me was that the locals had identified the problem, effectively self policed the trouble makers and tried to do something to help. Couldn't/wouldn't get that in many parts of London especially if some of those troublemakers (drug dealers who are making a living out of doing it for example) simply aren't interested in help.
  • Can't say I enjoyed last nights as much as the previous episodes. I do cry at it every week though. The millionaire last night was devoid of any personality, and I don't think he'll change much for walking round the streets a couple of times. The people there did deserve the help, and it was great that farm, and the youth club, and its so touching when they receive money they never even dreamed of.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    And its not the amount of money they give or anything like that, its the fact that these guys take time out to go and see what hard work goes on in difficult communities and actually appreciate what they have got.

Sorry, i turn into a cynical wotsit when there is a tv crew in tow. I'm sure some of them do get a sense of self-discovery when doing it, but for others its merely a case of raising their profile and showing the world they do 'a lot of work for charidee'
  • i'm kinda with you there for some of them AFKA. did anyone else last night think "is that all?" when he gave away a grand total of about 25k? last week the bloke gave people over 100k to individual societies including 10k a year for sustainability! I know that seems really nasty, as he didn't have to give anything away (although what would be the point of the programme otherwise!) but surely he could have done more?
  • The guy the previous week was worth over £20m - I think he was an exception in terms of the amount he gave.

Yeah, there is a certain cynical part to it but i'll take it for face value thank you very much! There was a guy a couple of weeks ago who was in a youth community who said that if the kids got 5 GCSE's then he would give them a months paid work experience and the guy last week, his donations were lump sums with additional amounts over the next 5 years etc.

I like to think they look at it more long-term then just when the cameras are there.
  • suzi - I think it's all relative to the definition of being a "millionaire". Some of the people on the prog are clearly almost billionaires and consequently 100K is still a relatively small amount. I didn't get the impression that last night's guy was particularly "well off" and it might, therefore, have been a significant amount to him.
  • just because you are a millionaire it doesn't mean you have that in liquid assets. He could have a house worth 900k with no mortgage, a couple of classic cars to boot but only £100 in the Bank. Plus he doesn't have to give any of his money away. Can't see a PL footballer doing it either, can you ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Last week the millionaire gave a total of 225k to one place, 100k up front then 25k over the next 5 years!

I agree with you suzi, and it does sound bad, but for all the pubicity they receive, perhaps giving slightly over what is needed would make you feel slightly less underwhelmed.

Obviously that they give anything is fantastic.
  • ScoSco
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Sorry, i turn into a cynical wotsit when there is a tv crew in tow. I'm sure some of them do get a sense of self-discovery when doing it, but for others its merely a case of raising their profile and showing the world they do 'a lot of work for charidee'

It is very easy to be a cynic about these things, but the flip side of the coin is that these people also go into the deal risking being exposed as an out of touch miserly self important bad guy/girl. The TV set-up may well allow them to enter a place in relative safety that would otherwise have held fear for them and get exposed to people who really do struggle in life. It may well make them feel a bit better about themselves, but so do I when I make a donation to charity or help out to raise money. They may also go on - and inspire others - to continue trying to make a difference. I guess I prefer to see the plus points though even if it may be naive.
  • One of the good points is to see how generous local folk are with the limit funds they have and thier time.....i guess they remmebr how the area use to be and can be and strive to make the area better.....interesting to see the locals generally talking and being socialble even if they have little......thought the garden blike last night was great blike with great idea to get local youth involved with gardening at young age......do children today have less things to do im not sure as i guess they are still youth clubs scouts etc is it because they wouls rather be on playstations etc and parents feel that they are safer at home with more drugs and viplence thatn before