Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

sack the board?

not my opinion, but football is about different opinions.

how long will it take before fans start to questioning the board?
i for one recognise the good relationship between the board and curbs, and perhaps the board should have realised that tweeking, and not drastic change is what brought us forward, ie appointing curbs/gritt, then curbs when it wasn’t going to plan.
with the appointment (and sacking) of dowie, what will they (and us) think if after 24 games, we only have 16 points? will reed be on his way?
personally, (and with the benefit of hindsight) i think we should have let curbs have a say on his succesor, and seeing as he still had a year left, kept him involved as an advisor/director of football.
no matter what people thought of the football the last 2 years, surely they can’t now doubt curbs’ ability both tactically and getting players from lower league that are ‘charlton type’ players.
a lot of ifs, buts, maybes and questions.

Comments

• Options
    Anyone that thinks that needs shooting.

Our board is one of the best. Yeah they've made a mistake, as some think me included, but for anyone to come out with that crap is just nonsense.
  • Options
    not my opinion arf. i hope that wasn't the impression you got.
    just making the point that there will be some fans (like the dowie out brigade at chesterfield) that might take that view.
  • Options
    people are already thinking it, which is ludicrous when we don't even know all the wranglings behind dowie's departure, especially when all the noises from those itk are pointing to the bulk of the blame on dowie and his strange ways
  • Options
    No no no Sarnie I read your post mate - u said not your opinion.
  • Options
    nothing wrong with our board as far as i know. they have spent bigger than ever before, so how can anyone blame them. dowie 'was' considered the best available of manager's that had already managed in the premiership. we aren't a big club and can't attract big names unless they are uover the hill or mercenaries. so lets thanks the board for what has been not a good period, but a period beyond our wildest dreams. i along with most kids grew up with charlton in the lower leagues and loved supporting them then as i do now. yes i want to see them stay in the premiership, but that's not what following charlton is all about. it's about a lifelong love affair with 'our' club. come what may. so as a barmy chef once said "LET'S BE AVIN YOOOO"!
  • Options
    its a good point well raised.

the trouble is, our percentage of committed fans (and where i say committed, i mean people like me and you, where supporting Charlton isn't just something you do every other week, it plays a part in every day of your life) is a lot smaller than other clubs. Now we discuss the club every day, we know most of the ins and outs, and can form a balanced opinion of the rights and wrongs of the club.

Others don't though. Those that don't know Charlton as well as me and you WILL be questioning the board to the highest degree. We have a support that like other clubs, always has to have a scapegoat, and for the last ten years its always been someone on the pitch. But it will turn eventually.

Without knowing the full facts, i'm trying not to be too judgement on the power of the club (ie. Murray and Varney). But somewhere along the line, whether it was in May or last week, they have got something badly wrong. Only time will tell if they recover the situation, and i hope they get given the opportunity to do so. But they will i'm sure not be put up on such a pedastal for a while.
  • Options
    The board is beyond reproach - though they have made some mistakes, which business doesn't- they have acted and hopefully we move on...
  • Options
    When you say Board who do you mean? because i dont believe the board were consulted? I would say this was solely Varney and Murray's decision and the board just got told what was going on. I think from what someone said before, we have too many directors to involve them all in certain types of decision making.

so i think the "board" comments should be amended to read "Varney and Murray"
  • Options
    its a good point actually. And i always think there is unclear confusion between the board of the company and the board of the football club.

The real power of the club however lies completely in the hands of them two.
  • Options
    I think you're overplaying Reg's role, particularly as he is NOT a major shareholder in the Club; merely an operational Chief Executive.

Although Richard Murray does hold the majority of the executive power at the Club, I'm sure he would not make any major decisions without consulting the other large shareholders, i.e. Bob Whitehand, Martin Simons, David Sumners, Gideon Franklin and Michael Stevens; unless they'd given Murray their proxy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I make you right Addickted
  • Options
    I'm sure that some of the other directors mentioned, some of whom have large sums invested in the Club, would be livid if such important decisions were made without their consent yet alone their knowledge. Plus I'm sure Murray doesn't have the actual power to make such decisions without approval from the majority of the Board.
  • Options
    Well he didn't contact me and I have a similar shareholding to Michael Grade.
  • Options
    Don't forget RM's kids are on the board too and will most likely do what they're told. (or am I confusing the FC and the PLC again?)
  • Options
    True - but their shareholding is in the thousands, not millions like the above.

People like David White and David Hughes also have shareholdings in the millions.
  • Options
    Obviously you don't have to answer addickted but whats your shareholding like? No need for monetary figures of course, just an idea thats all.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]Obviously you don't have to answer addickted but whats your shareholding like? No need for monetary figures of course, just an idea thats all.

My missus reads this board WSS.

I have 25. ;)
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2006
    Fair enough! lol

It's like those late-night quiz games:

"25"

How many is the number above?

Whatever you answer it is wrong...
  • Options
    thought i'd bump this up as questions are being asked more frequently about the appointment of les reed.
    i think he is getting a hell of a lot of stick from all angles. anyone given the opportunity to manage in the prem when previously hadn't would be mad to pass the chance. if this was his only chance and he turned it down, he would always be asking himself 'i wonder what would have happened if......?'
    i think we can all see he is not a no.1, but personally i like to remember the days when he was a coach with curbs.
    here lies the questioning of the board. is (as stated by rm) les reeds appointment as 1st team manager been for the good of charlton athletic fc?
  • Options
    It's the first time the club's board have had to appoint a manager. And they screwed it right up. Most other boards at less-well-run clubs have plenty of experience in hiring and firing managers... sometimes stability has its downsides.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the board would be honest enough to admit that mistakes have been made but they do care as passionately as we do about our club.

Giving Reed a 3 year deal now was not a good move in my opinion.

Its almost impossible to do now but in an ideal world I would like to see Pardew appointed on a deal whereby he earns say £500k for keeping us up. Robbo and Kins as his assistants and Lesley given another role in the structure, director of football maybe??

It would be harsh on Lesley but its gotta be done.
  • Options
    Giving Reed a 3 year deal now was not a good move in my opinion.

Agreed, he should have been appointed until the end of the season, clearly he hasn't got it in terms of motivating players. By giving him a three year deal sacking him will cost us money we can't afford/would be better spent on new players or a new manager.

Bring in Pardew, give him a contract until July and then review the situation.
  • Options
    I don't blame Reed for taking the job, but would question the logic of him being offered it.

Did he want it in the summer after Curbs left?
    If he did, then he obviously wasn't thought suitable, and if he didn't then why was he suddenly considered the right man to do it just a few months down the line?

There's a time and a place to give someone their first taste of being head coach/manager, and it isn't 10 or so games into a Premiership relegation battle.
  • Options
    Let's cut to the chase here- the more i think about it, it's obvious.

The board- led by Richard Murray appointed Iain Dowie- it didn't work out so he was sacked- There was no-one better available so they "promoted" Reed. "Continuity" being the motivation.

What i hope is that they are actively ( but quietly) looking for a replacement with an agreement that Reed moves over when the new man is unveiled.

I hope this is the case because i genuinely believe we haven't got a chance of staying up with Reed in charge.
  • Options
    I think Les deserves credit for taking on a poisoned chalice.

It's far too early to be having a go at him. The damage was done by his predecessor.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dowie can't take all the blame Len - Curbishley is still responsible for some of it
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    F-Blocker - that's all very well but wîth (at least on paper) a weaker squad he always kept us up. It wasn't exciting and it never got you going like our pre-'03 Prem days but it did the job. I was pleased for 2 reasons when he went: 1) for him, he needed a change, a chance to prove to everyone how he would do away from the comfort of The Valley and 2) for us. It was obvious things were going stale, the football, his comments in the press etc. We needed a change as much as Curbs. I'm just not sure that we'll maintain our Prem status this time round although watching the last 2 games I'm not even sure I want us to maintain our Prem status with the useless twats we've onboard at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I think Les deserves credit for taking on a poisoned chalice.

It's far too early to be having a go at him. The damage was done by his predecessor.

That being the case why have the performances got worse since Dowie left?

Sorry but you are being naive in the extreme if you honestly think that Dowie is the cause of all our problems.
  • Options
    now?

they need to put their hands up and admit that they have all gone wibble!
  • Options
    bloody hell, i started this thread less than a month ago thinking it would be a handful of fans a la chesterfield.
    it has been a long 4 weeks, and my opinions of the board have changed since then.