Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Reid

notice he was captain for Sunderland last week, however he didn't feature for Ireland this week, the manager basically said he won't play Reid in a 4 man midfield.

Comments

• cosmic
  • Class goal tonight from the Slimline looking reidy.
  • 2 for him already
  • Absolutely love Andy Reid. Just a naturally gifted footballer. His vision and range of passing whilst at the valley was a pleasure to watch. People thought his weight was a problem but if you have harworking midfielders around him he is a luxury. One of my favourite ever Charlton Players and a joke that we ever let him leave IMHO.
  • I got Andy Reid's autograph at the West Brom FA cup game (was it last season or the one before, went to a replay & we went out on pens) but I acted liked a 7 year old, Maria was ashamed of me LOL!

Would love to see him back one day, maybe he can be the Paolo Di Canio signing in a few seasons!
  • [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]Absolutely love Andy Reid. Just a naturally gifted footballer. His vision and range of passing whilst at the valley was a pleasure to watch. People thought his weight was a problem but if you have harworking midfielders around him he is a luxury. One of my favourite ever Charlton Players and a joke that we ever let him leave IMHO.

Reidy actually worked very hard, which I think is what made him so endearing. He had a lot of talent but he wasn't scared to track back and make the odd tackle and as soon as he made a pass he was moving, trying to get into space and make himself available for the pass. The only reason his weight was problem is because it probably contributed to his patchy injury record. As far as getting through 90 minutes and working hard was concerned, he was more than fit enough (when not injured!). Apart from Benty, he's proably the only player of the last 4 years who's was a consistent pleasure to watch play.
  • I agree with that. What i suppose i was trying to say is that people immediately saw the size of the man and assumed that he was unfit. If he was slimmer in his time at Charlton, would it have made him a better player do you think? For me, i think he was so good with the ball it didnt matter what he did without it.
  • Reidy and Benty together again. Lucky Mackems.
  • [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]I agree with that. What i suppose i was trying to say is that people immediately saw the size of the man and assumed that he was unfit. If he was slimmer in his time at Charlton, would it have made him a better player do you think? For me, i think he was so good with the ball it didnt matter what he did without it.

I do think fans of other clubs assume he's talented but overweight, lazy and wasting his career, when like Exiled said he actually worked hard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to the Narwich v Mackems match tonight with Maglor. Thought Reidy was a class act and took his goals well especially the delightful chip for the first.

Game was enjoyable though, five goals, one on OG, some thunderous shots, a sending off and a the Narwich keeper taken off for a facial injury after all the subs had been used which mean't a rookie in Goal for the last ten minutes. Plenty for the neutral.
  • I remember the spurs boss at the time reidy was there, saying all their tests showed he actually had the 2nd lowest body fat ratio in the squad. And that his build makes him look fat.
  • Yea he scored last night against Norwich good chip too.
  • A few Narwich fans behind us were chanting "who ate all the pies". Frankly he looked pretty trim to me.
  • what a massive blunder we made selling him
  • his first was sublime and his second was not far behind it, real class, he could have had a first half treble if a through ball had reached him
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]what a massive blunder we made selling him

Aint that the truth!
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Reidy and Benty together again. Lucky Mackems.
    Spot on Weegie. Great to see Benty enjoying himself again, seems the same applies to Reidy. Two of my favourite CAFC players of recent times and kind of ironic that they are at Sunderland, a club who, since that magic day 9 years ago, we've had many things in common.

Love to draw them in the FAC 3rd round if we get that far
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Reidy and Benty together again. Lucky Mackems.
    Spot on Weegie. Great to see Benty enjoying himself again, seems the same applies to Reidy. Two of my favourite CAFC players of recent times and kind of ironic that they are at Sunderland, a club who, since that magic day 9 years ago, we've had many things in common.

Love to draw them in the FAC 3rd round if we get that far

Which we wont of course.............having been knocked out earlier at home to Torquay!
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]what a massive blunder we made selling him

Aint that the truth!

The thing is could we have stopped him going, given that the Mackems had offered to double his salary, and Pardew needed some funds to strengthen the team elsewhere on a copper bottomed 20 goal a season striker like........errr....Andy Gray!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] Two of my favourite CAFC players of recent times and
    kind of ironic that they are at Sunderland, a club who, since that magic day 9 years ago, we've had many things in common.

I think you'll find the magic day was 11 years ago .... time goes by so quickly. Now that is scary.

;o)
  • What always gets me is how did he know they were going to pay him double his salary?

Surely if an offer comes through for a player at the club it doesn't say how much they're going to pay him? The only way he would have known how much they were going to pay would be if they tapped him up?
  • Apparently is out for 3 weeks "with a Grade 2 Thigh Problem" ?!
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]What always gets me is how did he know they were going to pay him double his salary?

Surely if an offer comes through for a player at the club it doesn't say how much they're going to pay him? The only way he would have known how much they were going to pay would be if they tapped him up?

Agent, of course.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Apparently is out for 3 weeks "with a Grade 2 Thigh Problem" ?![/quote]

which means he has a greggs grade 2 pie problem and is hoping to shift it in the new year
  • Thank you.
    Wondered about that "Grade 2" bit.
  • Just joined Sheffield on loan
  • Sheffield....?
  • United. ;-)
  • Good luck to him, hope he stays fit and does a good job there.