Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Prem League - 7 Subs. A hidden agenda?

I was giving thought to this new ruling of 7 substitutes in the PL and wondering if they're just doing it to plicate the large numbers of bench-warmers that most of the PL seem to have these days and or to tempt more "up-and-coming" players away from the FL to PL sides?

I'm sure they will dress it up as trying to give more youth an opportunity to be involved in the 1st team, however it could well be detrimental to the development of them.

If a player isn't regularly involved in the match day squad he would be far more likely to look elsewhere for 1st team opportunities, be that on loan or a perm move. There is however a carrot being dangled here, to the likes of Bostock for instance, to focus on the fact that he could get opportunities to be involved and therefore make a move away from a CCC club more attractive.

Am I reading too much into this or is it yet another example of PL greed, which could and probably will, be highly damaging the players progression and to football in general?

The PL may look at FL clubs as nurseries where they can cherry pick the best players from for little of the outlay that running and investing in their own academies cost. To some extent they are right as without their transfer fees dripping down through the leagues many clubs will go bust. However because of this "multiplier effect" we need the PL sides to be a little more strategic and look at the long-term impact that they're having on the game in this country, because ultimately if the FL goes bust, then so do they.

Its like an eco-system. Lose the bottom of the food chain and the top of the food chain die off.

Comments

• I think you're right to be suspicious, it's a move which benefits the big clubs with bigger squads. We were able to field seven subs in the League Cup - Yeovil couldn't.

Of course, a couple of Premier League managers would rather the Football League be filled with their own reserve sides.
  • I've been saying this for a while, I think its made to suit the bigger teams with bigger squads.
  • In the recent round of league cups games the seven subs thing was used for the first time with the resukt that many teams didn't have eleven starters and seven subs - Yeovil only had five subs for example. Of course it benefits the bigger teams/squads.
  • agree with Red , obviously its for the PL teams with larger squads so as to placate some of their players who normally would be sitting in the stands - ala Parker at Chelski.