Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

wedding venue

i know this is probably better asking other people(ie a forum of majority female persuasion), but, I'll try anyway.

have any of you ever been to a wedding reception in the south east london/ central london/ kent/ bexleyheath ish areas in a pub?

what i really mean is, a possible exclusive hire of a pub perhaps? bit of a private evening possibly quirky reception, with maybe outside seating, as opposed to a sit down formal meal? maybe even a bbq?

any ideas/suggestions

thanks!

Comments

• Red Barn

And congratulations.
  • No, But been to receptions at Charlton Hse (OK) and the Horniman Musuem (very nice) recently. Would have thought a hotel/conference centre would be better as they are more geared up to do the catering etc.

And I guess I'm obliged to mention that place in Floyd Rd ;-)

Anyway congrats and when's the happy day?
  • what about hiring a marquee?
  • Hall Place?

Get your own caterers though!
  • Not quite a wedding reception, but I went to a film "premiere" of a mate's zero budget movie in the upstairs of the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich. Very nice on a late summer's evening.

My brother's band have played a few wedding receptions in there too.
  • my regular pub suuz has them there, either in the hall, or by putting a screen in the bar if your numbers for more than the hall. you then get the right side of the pub, the hall and the large garden, with terrace and seats / benches.

been to a few weddings there.
  • you've also got the Danson Boathouse, the Tudor barn place in eltham.
  • The Dome

The O2
  • Greenwich Yacht Club
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i know this is probably better asking other people(ie a forum of majority female persuasion), but, I'll try anyway.

have any of you ever been to a wedding reception in the south east london/ central london/ kent/ bexleyheath ish areas in a pub?

what i really mean is, a possible exclusive hire of a pub perhaps? bit of a private evening possibly quirky reception, with maybe outside seating, as opposed to a sit down formal meal? maybe even a bbq?

any ideas/suggestions

thanks!

Not pubs but been to The Black Prince for a couple and there's always Rowhill Grange.

Bit pricey (esp Rowhill) but worth the dosh. Alternatively, Birchwood Golf Club if it's a Summer Do then I imagine that they can sort a BBQ on the terrace. I'm no foodie (Burger King and Maccy D's more my style than the Ivy) but I've never had a bad meal there All I would say is book early to avoid disappointment.

Oh and Congrats, assume it's for you!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Red Barn

And congratulations.[/quote]

I don't think the barn will displace the regulars though or do you mean the seating downstairs, do you drink down the barn 1905
  • It was meant tongue in cheek. Although a friend recently had a reception downstairs in the cellar bar and it worked very well.

I am a Red Barnion. I used to be part of the fixtures and fittings, but now my visits are less regular. If you use the red barn, you would know me.
  • oh its not for me!!! but thanks for suggestions. (apart from 1905)

i have visions of les_says having a heart attack!!
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]what about hiring a marquee?

nice idea, but she lives in a flat, so not sure where we could put it :-)
  • i just choked on a bbq hula hoop!
  • I have been having a chuckle, cos I suspected that it wasn't for you - not that you and Les_say wouldn't make the perfect marital couple.
  • Try Swanley Banqueting. They have three venues for hire. The Alexandra Suite, The Woodlands and The Olympic. The Olympic is more like a pub and during the summer you can either watch the bowls or hack a few golf balls on the Golf Driving Range
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i know this is probably better asking other people(ie a forum of majority female persuasion), but, I'll try anyway.

any ideas/suggestions

thanks!

Thanks Sooze, but we've already got a venue. Your role is strictly stationery......

;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]Try Swanley Banqueting. They have three venues for hire. The Alexandra Suite, The Woodlands and The Olympic. The Olympic is more like a pub and during the summer you can either watch the bowls or hack a few golf balls on the Golf Driving Range

I had my reception at the Alexandra Suite, and very nice it was too !
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]It was meant tongue in cheek. Although a friend recently had a reception downstairs in the cellar bar and it worked very well.

I am a Red Barnion. I used to be part of the fixtures and fittings, but now my visits are less regular. If you use the red barn, you would know me.

I did indeed use the red barn up until about a year ago, then i moved in with my gf and she lives in west london so i find it hard to get down there now although my friend and his family are always down there, you may know them, two brothers neil and craig carter
  • Sponsored links:

• I went to Alicante with Craig and Neil - and Millwall Tony. They are two top fellas. So is their step Dad "Big Hands" John.
  • My girlfriends brother got married at charlton house a few years back, then down to the green man pub in welling.

Has a huge garden with a marque and outside bar plus a big BBQ. Thought it sounded a bit rubbish, but a good time was had by all, probably as it was a lovely day. If it was wet/miserable I would have thought it would have been a nightmare as the garden would have been out of bounds.
  • Cool, i went to school with Neil and we were inseperable until a few years ago because i got married etc, going through a divorce now I'm Mark Carey, neil and craig will know me as soon as you mention my name, your right they are big, people used to always laugh about me and neil cause i'm only 5'6', the trouble me and neil used to get into, if he ever tells a story then you know ill be in it somewhere
  • would recommend Danson Boathouse,had my reception there in August. Great food buffet or sit down.even better bar service where you can pre-order specific drink requests.Think the details are on bexley councils web site.
  • Went to an 18th Birthday party a while back at the place in Swanley. The Alexandra Suite was a superb venue. Was nicely laid out, seats and a bar area, then next door was a huge dance floor with a stage and more seats. Very nice and modern
  • The Alma have a room for hire......mainly for gays in leather...;-)

D and I had our Reception at Sophies in Sidcup...very nice.
  • I got married in Hall Place but then had the reception at Sidcup Rugby Club (in Sydney Road if I remember)

Cracking venue for a reception, big hall with a private bar and patio area off to the side with picnic benches outside if the weather is good enough - very reasonably priced to hire from basically midday until midnight (as in less than £350!), they have an in-house caterer who you have to use if you are having food, however he came in far cheaper than I was expecting and we had a massive hot 'sit down' buffet late afternoon/early evening and then another one later on in the evening, he will basically do whatever you want and tailor it to any budget you have.....in the summer they may even consider a bbq if you asked them.

Would highly recommend the place to anyone, I can let you have contact names/numbers if interested.
  • i used to play tennis for cresent @ Sidcup rugby club..
    they sold off some of the land & had a lottery grant to expand there clubhouse, so can vouch for eltham addick.. its looking good thesedays
  • I went to a reception at the Tudor Barn in Eltham a few years back.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/11/11723/Tudor_Barn/Eltham

Failing that there's always the Millennium Dome...
  • I got married in fancy dress (all had to be in 1920's gear, so stripey blazers and boaters were the theme of the day for the boys flapper dresses for the girls) at Woolwich registery office, which after all is a fantastic building and the wedding photo's have the lovely Queen Victoria in the background.

Receptions, Charlton House is not bad depends what you do, been to one with Irish Country Dancing, which seemed popular and another with a Jazz band which was a good laugh.

What is needed is a fair/nice venue and the absolute essential of live music in my opinion.