Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Today I will be mostly listening to ....

Comments

• Options

Badger said:

I Have Alcatrazz - Live Sentence & Alcatrazz - Alcatrazz Both Good albums imo. Favourite Man LP Is Back to the Future. Favourite welsh Band Budgie.

Ah, but the double 'z' identifies the American band. The Welsh Alkatraz produced one album on United Artists, 1978 - I've got it on vinyl - available rather expensively as a CD on import I think.

Thought you might contribute to this, Badger. Ah yes, Budgie at the Croydon Greyhound on a Sunday night in the 70s. I like Burke Shelley, the founder, bass-player and vocalist; apparently he's not in the best of health, though they toured eastern Europe, where they have a huge following, not so long ago.

The Neutrons borrowed various former- and future-members of Man; the Welsh scene was all very incestuous. They produced two albums: Black Hole Star, and Tales from the Blue Cocoons. Both good: pleasantly trippy, folky, "I'm going to India" stuff, slightly reminiscent of Traffic. Saw them at the London School of Economics in 1977.

One Welsh band I never did see was Help Yourself. They played pub gigs quite regularly in London, I believe; did you ever cop them, Badger? They morphed into The Tyla Gang, fronted by Sean Tyla, who famously whispered in the ear of his guitarist, mid-song at Dingwall's: "I think I'm having a nervous breakdown." He left the stage and has never performed since!

What's the first proper band you ever saw? I've often thought that would be a good thread on this site. We had a band play at the end of summer-term ball at my school, St Dunstan's College, in Catford; it was here that I saw Atomic Rooster (with Vincent Crane on Hammond organ) in about 1970. The following summer was the Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, with the very good Willie Wilson on drums.

seriously/sincerely "viewfinder", after reading your engaging snippets here on late 60's/early-mid 70's welsh rock scene, you must send something in to allan jones at uncut, or phil alexander at mojo. i would say you had a shot at publication...but maybe you already write for one of the music mags?
    Thanks for your encouragement, SH2T; Allan Jones at Uncut did recently publish my piece about seeing Ginger Baker play at a small pub in the East End in the 1970s.

Deke Leonard, guitarist with Man, has written three volumes of memoirs - anyone on here read them, and are they good?

• Options

Badger said:

I Have Alcatrazz - Live Sentence & Alcatrazz - Alcatrazz Both Good albums imo. Favourite Man LP Is Back to the Future. Favourite welsh Band Budgie.

Ah, but the double 'z' identifies the American band. The Welsh Alkatraz produced one album on United Artists, 1978 - I've got it on vinyl - available rather expensively as a CD on import I think.

Thought you might contribute to this, Badger. Ah yes, Budgie at the Croydon Greyhound on a Sunday night in the 70s. I like Burke Shelley, the founder, bass-player and vocalist; apparently he's not in the best of health, though they toured eastern Europe, where they have a huge following, not so long ago.

The Neutrons borrowed various former- and future-members of Man; the Welsh scene was all very incestuous. They produced two albums: Black Hole Star, and Tales from the Blue Cocoons. Both good: pleasantly trippy, folky, "I'm going to India" stuff, slightly reminiscent of Traffic. Saw them at the London School of Economics in 1977.

One Welsh band I never did see was Help Yourself. They played pub gigs quite regularly in London, I believe; did you ever cop them, Badger? They morphed into The Tyla Gang, fronted by Sean Tyla, who famously whispered in the ear of his guitarist, mid-song at Dingwall's: "I think I'm having a nervous breakdown." He left the stage and has never performed since!

What's the first proper band you ever saw? I've often thought that would be a good thread on this site. We had a band play at the end of summer-term ball at my school, St Dunstan's College, in Catford; it was here that I saw Atomic Rooster (with Vincent Crane on Hammond organ) in about 1970. The following summer was the Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, with the very good Willie Wilson on drums.

seriously/sincerely "viewfinder", after reading your engaging snippets here on late 60's/early-mid 70's welsh rock scene, you must send something in to allan jones at uncut, or phil alexander at mojo. i would say you had a shot at publication...but maybe you already write for one of the music mags?
    Thanks for your encouragement, SH2T; Allan Jones at Uncut did recently publish my piece about seeing Ginger Baker play at a small pub in the East End in the 1970s.

Deke Leonard, guitarist with Man, has written three volumes of memoirs - anyone on here read them, and are they good?

Jones'y has just left Uncut. see:http://www.uncut.co.uk/magazine/august-2014 I never met him having been there when Chris Charlesworth as the news editor, and Chris Welsh were the team along with Roy H and Max Jones.
    I say being 'there', in that I had several news stories published, mainly on the bootleg, counter culture scene. I used to work around the corner as a very junior hack. before art college. Never got on with Ray Coleman the editor, as Jones states in his article they wanted to make MM
    a younger read, and yet I was probably the youngest 'contributor' as Coleman knew. The offices of MM were next door to Coutts bank, in Fleet street. 74-77 was a strange time in the music business with punk about to explode, and MM was an established title, I worked for Sounds for a short while, but lost interest in the established music scene around that time, I think it had lost interest in me as well.......
  • Options
    wow, i knew it vf, that style of keen observation meeting music passion doesn't go unnoticed - very cool. sfunny vf, we were around the record business at the same time. i was at various import record companies 72-75, when virgin spotted my "product knowledge" & installed me as "chief buyer" - pub rock ran it's course/was overrun, & "punk exploded"!!!! yessssss!!!!! ...and i was stage centre as for a heady 18 month period virtually every little punk band from all over trooped into my office with their debut diy pic sleeve 7"'ers crammed into all manner of transport - heady times:>) god save the queen on virgin went to #1 too, top memories...until i was suspended a coupla years later, ahhhh the irresistible lure of the naughty "uncle charlie snow";>)
  • Options

Badger said:

Jones'y has just left Uncut. see:http://www.uncut.co.uk/magazine/august-2014 I never met him having been there when Chris Charlesworth as the news editor, and Chris Welsh were the team along with Roy H and Max Jones.
    I say being 'there', in that I had several news stories published, mainly on the bootleg, counter culture scene. I used to work around the corner as a very junior hack. before art college. Never got on with Ray Coleman the editor, as Jones states in his article they wanted to make MM
    a younger read, and yet I was probably the youngest 'contributor' as Coleman knew. The offices of MM were next door to Coutts bank, in Fleet street. 74-77 was a strange time in the music business with punk about to explode, and MM was an established title, I worked for Sounds for a short while, but lost interest in the established music scene around that time, I think it had lost interest in me as well.......

wow, i knew it vf, that style of keen observation meeting music passion doesn't go unnoticed - very cool. sfunny vf, we were around the record business at the same time. i was at various import record companies 72-75, when virgin spotted my "product knowledge" & installed me as "chief buyer" - pub rock ran it's course/was overrun, & "punk exploded"!!!! yessssss!!!!! ...and i was stage centre as for a heady 18 month period virtually every little punk band from all over trooped into my office with their debut diy pic sleeve 7"'ers crammed into all manner of transport - heady times:>) god save the queen on virgin went to #1 too, top memories...until i was suspended a coupla years later, ahhhh the irresistible lure of the naughty "uncle charlie snow";>)

All that sounds good. About 20 years ago I spent a week in the Melody Maker offices going through their archive of back issues, researching a book that I still haven't written. I was used to the normal protocol of office life - and was impressed by the informality with which the MM staff went about their work. At 1 o'clock every day they would all down tools and crowd into a small room to watch the repeat of 'Neighbours'.

• Options
    Trap Them-Blissfucker
    The Vintage Caravan-Voyage
  • Options
    the sensual world - kate bush - brilliant album.
  • Options
    yesterday night i was mostly listening to/watching, "the mayor of sunset strip", the tale of legendary kroq dj rodney bingenheimer, the "zelig" of the hollywood scene from the monkees to date. been meaning to see it for ages, and now youtube has the whole film, the opportunity arrived - rodney on the roq, what a character!!! spotted him at sooo many local shows. the film is packed with left-field rock glitterati through the decades...nancy sinatra, kim fowley, gto's, phil spector et al...check out british rocker, michael des barres (silverhead anyone?) - bit cocky, but has anyone worn their years better? plus plenty from his (the original groupie) wife. some great bowie, liam g, johnnie marr footage, and sooo much more off-kilter lost angles moments...
  • Options

yesterday night i was mostly listening to/watching, "the mayor of sunset strip", the tale of legendary kroq dj rodney bingenheimer, the "zelig" of the hollywood scene from the monkees to date. been meaning to see it for ages, and now youtube has the whole film, the opportunity arrived - rodney on the roq, what a character!!! spotted him at sooo many local shows. the film is packed with left-field rock glitterati through the decades...nancy sinatra, kim fowley, gto's, phil spector et al...check out british rocker, michael des barres (silverhead anyone?) - bit cocky, but has anyone worn their years better? plus plenty from his (the original groupie) wife. some great bowie, liam g, johnnie marr footage, and sooo much more off-kilter lost angles moments...

I need to catch up with that s2t.
    As for Miss Pamela - hubba hubba back in the day - I don't care who's been there.

• Options
    Snowboy & the Latin Section - New Beginnings.
  • Options

I need to catch up with that s2t.
    As for Miss Pamela - hubba hubba back in the day - I don't care who's been there.

wowee, she is lush, and still a looker in the film. btw as to her mileage, cunts don't wear out as wonderfully designed by mother nature:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Death to the Pixies
    Sloan - Smeared
    The Flaming Sideburns - Hallelujah Rock n' Rolla
  • Options
    Earthless
  • Options
    far from rawk n roll, but me & the luv are enjoying a biteaccompanied by keith jarrett's sacred hymns of g.i.gurdjieff
  • Options
    some girls - rolling stones
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia - The Dandy Warhols

One of the great album opening songs here: -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fpNoeei_0M
  • Options

i'm sooo with you sixbag, gong to rawk my smoothie making with the dandy warhols this morning after your reminder, "13 tales..." was a turn of the centurey standout for me too, 6 of the 13 cuts made it into my tropical sojourn playlist - godless, mohammad, nietzche, sleep, bohemian like you, the gospel. did you hear the massive attack remix of godless too?
  • Options

i'm sooo with you sixbag, gong to rawk my smoothie making with the dandy warhols this morning after your reminder, "13 tales..." was a turn of the centurey standout for me too, 6 of the 13 cuts made it into my tropical sojourn playlist - godless, mohammad, nietzche, sleep, bohemian like you, the gospel. did you hear the massive attack remix of godless too?
    I'll be honest mate, I haven't heard any Massive Attack.
    As someone who counts "Wake up Little Susie" by the Everly Brothers and "Apace" by the Shadows amongst his earliest musical
    favourites, you'l gather I'm a bit long in the tooth!
    Almost all my favourite music comes from the 60's/70's/80's and I all but closed my ears to new music from about '95.
    It was probably the Vodafone add that introduced me to the Dandy's, although I do pick up on my kids music now and again.
  • Options
    long in the tooth, nothing after '85!!!!!, my word six bag??? look, if I can recall len glover and bought the shadows apache ep when it came out, what do you think my silly number might be? don't believe the 'kin numbers, live your moments!!! (yeah, yeah, yeah, i live in el-lay & do yoga & eat fruit & have a young luv), but we can ALL bounce around to a great tune & light up the day!!! ...and there aren't many more triff moments than jumping around the kitchen this morning to 'bohemian like you" from that dandy's record (or jet harris & tony meehan's corker "diamonds" - you must know that one) - thanks again for the dandy's reminder! ...back to dancing round the blender:>)
  • Options
    marquee moon - television

going to see them on the 27th at shep bush emp
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Turn this one upto 11

http://youtu.be/N6w8Fu56AKw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the head on the door - the cure
  • Options
    Magazine - Secondhand Daylight.
  • Options

shuffle, such an underrated band.

I know the guitarist and bassist. Good friends of mine.
  • Options
    A nice selection of old US hardcore - Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Judge, Up Front and Insted.
  • Options
    Enjoying Peter Brodericks album 'Home' on vinyl , brilliant mellow sunday eve music.
  • Options
    re-appreciating underplayed tunes from the collection, stereolab - jenny ondioline, squeeze - down in the valley, remy zero - twister, renegade soundwave - biting my nails, damien jurado - cloudy shoes, pete yorn - on your side, philip glass - metamorphosis 3, matthew sweet - winona, hello - star studded sham, peter broderick - colin, jack frost - thought that i was over you, holly miranda - sweet dreams, war - im the one who understands, sheila nicholls - how strong, lori carson - snow come down, palma violets - best of friends, king crimson - islands, gang of four - damaged goods, dawn penn - no no no........i know, not for the purists, but love the "random" button...now that all the records/cass/cds have been donated, gifted, sold etc. in prep for lighter travel...
  • Options
    today, began curiously reminding myself of lee michaels as he lived over the street from me in venice beach, then a MASSIVE electrelane morning - they are sooo special, now brian jonestown massacre and dandy warhols - cannot understand why mgmt attract so much attention and these two talents on the sidelines? well, kinda do, mgmt have that record company sheen factor going on...whereas anton and courtney, nope...on with the show....
  • Options
    ...and now, let's hear it for this gorgeous new nugget, alVVays - marry me, archie...just luvvly, though not a fan of band names that are confusingly misspelt old ones, nevertheless run to your chosen source and immerse in alVVays' indiepop confection...
  • Options
    Pilgrim-Void Worship
    Kadavar-Abra Kadavar
    Crowbar-symmetry In Black
  • Options

Pilgrim-Void Worship
    Kadavar-Abra Kadavar
    Crowbar-symmetry In Black

hmmmm 1965, foreboding re the new season?