Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London in the heat.. Rantings of a sweaty commuter.

would all the train drivers on all trains this week be so kind as to flick the little switch down on the right that allows us cattle to get some kind of air passed thru the train!! the train to work this morning was in one word.. gross. felt like a world war 2 japanese sweat box. How can it be in the year 2008 that we are still not hooked up for warm days!! read last week that they hope to have air conditioning in the underground by 2010 or somthing!! the train i get home in the evening is one of the new style trains (less seats more standing space) for some reason when they were spending all the moneny on the nice woman anoucing what the next station is they could have thought.. um air conditioning or bigger window but they thought F that lets have doors that close automaticaly after 10 seconds to trap the heat in when stuck in charring cross for 15 mins waiting for it to leave with temps above 30 on board. on friday i chose to get the get the thames clipper from emabankment to wollowich then the bus the rest of the way, for £2.80 single to woolwich u cant knock it. also it runs till 2am on the weekends so forget the n89 or n53 take the river. all serious tho is it to much to ask for air condition on trains and tubes?? anyone got any ideas on how to stay cool for whats left of summer?

Comments

• Don't think there is a switch for drivers to flick, it's computer operated.

As for Air con on the Underground, they can only really put it in on a few lines, and can't install it on the deep lines as there is no where to put the hot air when it comes out of the trains.

Overground, I dunno blame the operators
  • I understand they are to utilise the cold water from underground rivers, long long term project tho
  • 178 to Kidbrooke this morning the guy had theheaters on !
  • just having lived in OZ for a couple of years you see how easy it can be done, if global warming is true and on its way were gona have to get our fingers out or were gona be suffering big time, i know the british spirit is oh well, chins up on we go but bloody hell people were nearly passing out last week on the train it was scary.
  • Nothing too constructive to say here other than to say that it is another reason why I abandoned all public transport for getting around London about ten years ago and bought myself a Vespa...yes I get wet occassionally and you have to be on your guard for dodgy drivers but otherwise I would thoroughly recommend it to all.. A new Vespa is around £2.5k and will last for years...how much do you spend on public transport per year....? Of course, when ankle isn't knackered (still) I try and cycle too...but then that's because I am approaching 40, am getting fat(ter) and Mrs CC is not too impressed with my physique....
  • mate dont forget the scale of the problem. The number of comutors in London is like half the population of Aus on the move.
  • would love a moped just with the baby on the way dont think my missus would be to keen on my driving into down, your right tho CC, my season ticket for work costs around £1,500 so 2k for a skooter makes sense.
  • A pair of flips flops always helps
  • GH, sydney circular quay at rush hour is a site to behold like, charring cross / cannon street just everyone uses boats to get home, plus all the business men wear suits but with trousser shorts and white socks pulled up to there kness, my company wont allow us to wear shorts but the women can wear micro mini skirts and short shorts, umm cant belive i just moaned about that :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]A pair of flips flops always helps

LOL Rick, you obiously sent this before you finished the sentence with the words "... you look like a right charlie".
  • Sponsored links:

• I have not been on one bus this summer where the heating has been turned off. I read somewhere that they don't have a button to turn it off. Whose clever idea was that? I'm actually going to have to do what I did last summer, take shorts and t-shirt to work and gett changed before I leave.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]GH, sydney circular quay at rush hour is a site to behold like, charring cross / cannon street just everyone uses boats to get home, plus all the business men wear suits but with trousser shorts and white socks pulled up to there kness, my company wont allow us to wear shorts but the women can wear micro mini skirts and short shorts, umm cant belive i just moaned about that :-)

just as well - you'd look a right dick in trouser shorts and white socks - are you being serious. i used to get the manly ferry home from work and i never saw a man in white socks and trouser shorts.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]GH, sydney circular quay at rush hour is a site to behold like, charring cross / cannon street just everyone uses boats to get home, plus all the business men wear suits but with trousser shorts and white socks pulled up to there kness, my company wont allow us to wear shorts but the women can wear micro mini skirts and short shorts, umm cant belive i just moaned about that :-)

just as well - you'd look a right dick in trouser shorts and white socks - are you being serious. i used to get the manly ferry home from work and i never saw a man in white socks and trouser shorts.

Thats 'cos you got the MANly ferry Curb_it, Adam obviously got the Girly one...

I'll get me coat.
  • More likely if ur talking about Sidney the guys would be in the micro skirts.
  • Lived in a Sydney for a bit , commuted via the Manly Ferry.Top route.

Bus drivers used to wear knee-high white socks and shorts.

Good look.
  • so do the posties and the old bill, hard to keep a straight face when ure been bollocked by an old bill in shorts and socks whilst carrying side arms!!!
  • Up to a few years ago when the old slam door stock was running, the heater was connected to the lights, so if the lights were on, the heater would be on too.
    We used to get lots of complaints about it (when I worked on the railway) but uness people wanted to sit in the dark, it was a case of tough!
  • Sweaty commute .....?

Down here in Cornwall me luvverrrrrrs, for the first time in 2 weeks, the sunshine has suddenly switched off, and it's raining.
    And much cooler.

With a southwesterly wind driving it, you lot should get a drenching in the morning. ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]GH, sydney circular quay at rush hour is a site to behold like, charring cross / cannon street just everyone uses boats to get home, plus all the business men wear suits but with trousser shorts and white socks pulled up to there kness, my company wont allow us to wear shorts but the women can wear micro mini skirts and short shorts, umm cant belive i just moaned about that :-)

It's a well justified moan. If the women are allowed to wear shorts then so can you. I had this issue with a company I once worked with in Bromley and discovered that once you start to use words like 'sexual discrimination' then they get wary. In the end they agreed to let me wear smart tailored shorts. A few other guys then followed my lead and it wasn't an issue after that. It may have been different if we had contact with the public though, I don't know.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I have not been on one bus this summer where the heating has been turned off. I read somewhere that they don't have a button to turn it off. Whose clever idea was that? I'm actually going to have to do what I did last summer, take shorts and t-shirt to work and gett changed before I leave.

I did this in Lyon. we were in an air-conditioned office which was great but sometimes it was over 35 degrees outside. So I decided to always leave my trousers, shoes, shirt and tie at work, and go to and from the office in sandals, shorts and T-shirt.

The thing with the heat is that you just have to find ways around it. Another idea is to have a bottle of water - not to drink - but to pour over your head. In Australia I used to just wear a wet T-shirt - that works best.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]

just as well - you'd look a right dick in trouser shorts and white socks - are you being serious..

This is too often the problem - worrying what you look like. What difference does it make? Stay cool literally and laugh at those who try to look cool and get too hot.
  • No dramas in the climate controlled car this morning