Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Red Arrows get Olympics ban!

The Red Arrows display team have been dropped from The London Olympics opening ceremony plans in 2012 because it's felt they may "offend" some countries regarding their military connections.They've proudly performed over 4000 displays worldwide over the years impecably representing Great Britain and this was to be one of their crowning moments, the squadron are evidently gutted, bewildered and saddened by this unexpected turn of events.Yeah I bet they are!
There is one of those official Government petetions you can sign in protest at this decision.
I'm proud to say I've just signed it....what the fook is this country coming to.

Comments

• Options
    Yet we'll happily brown nose China!

The sooner these left wing tree-huggers f**k off the better
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Yet we'll happily brown nose China!

The sooner these left wing tree-huggers f**k off the better

Totally agree with you.....don't get me started on the way the Ghurkas arte being treated...
  • Options
    For f**k sake, this is a well Publicised hoax, the sun made it up, the petition on the government website confirms its fake.

This is now something like the 12th time I've been told of this ban and told to go and sign the petition and obviously not one of the people who have told me this have bothered to do even the most basic fact checking or even read the petition they are encouraging me to sign!

Just to clear things up, here's the actual text, right at the top of the petition:

"This allegation is not true. The Government has not banned the Red Arrows from the London 2012 Olympic Games. The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the Opening Ceremony and other celebrations - but with almost five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what these will look like.

And of course the Red Arrows played a memorable role in the celebrations for 2012, when they flew over Trafalgar Square to mark London winning the Games."

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/
  • Options
    Just did a search about it and didn't find much apart from this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/epetition_broadband/

"The most popular petition right now is "Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" which has been signed by a staggering 441,383 people - this despite the government making clear that it has not "banned" them and it is a decision that the organising committee will make nearer the time."
  • Options
    so its not a fake and they might get banned and the Government will wait till it goes quiet and then do the dirty.

sign on and on and on and on.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Erm randy sorry about this...I had understood this to be genuine but you are obviously much better clued up than I am...I'm getting on a bit you see and am easily fooled rather like the almost half a million other people that have signed it.I don't know, I'll be letting conmen through my front door next to read my meters!
    There does seem to be 'something' in it though, as a decision has 'yet to be made'....so it may well help to sway the organisation commities decision if there were indeed some intial dissenters.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics hasn't even happened! and there still sorting out the handover ceremony in Beijing. This hoax is stupid

and for background, the Red Arrows where used at the 2004 Torch Relay, were used in 2005 when London won the bid, and will probably appear in 2012.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So we should be saying they MAY be dropped from the ceremony rather than they HAVE!
    OK then, in that case I'm still proud to say I have signed it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics hasn't even fucking happened! and there still sorting out the handover ceremony in Beijing. This hoax is stupid

and for background, the Red Arrows where used at the 2004 Torch Relay, were used in 2005 when London won the bid, and will probably appear in 2012.

Language Timothy!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    How can you say they 'May' be dropped? It's a load of old bollocks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    OK, if you're going to be that picky Rothko "they may not get chosen" then!!
    Christ almighty, you have to get things so god damn spot on for some folk,though I'm sure you got the gist of what I meant mate!
    And may I ask just how it was that you and one or two others first heard of this petition and how you subsequently learn't that it's 'supposedly' a not genuine subject matter, you have an advantage over me in that you got the info from somewhere, I unfortunately didn't, so there's no need to diss me and half a million others 'less fortunate' than yourself is there; I only heard about it today as a matter of fact.
    Anyway, as I said, if there are some who do want to drop them from any 'proposed future plans' (careful how you phrase it SoundAs) and have expressed those misgivings,then this petition may just make them think twice...so not neccessarily a wasted exercise is it?
    PS..I'm definately NOT a Sun reader!
  • Options
    can't remember the red arrows ever going in to battle so sounds like tosh.
  • Options
    "loads of bollox" must be true then 100% bang on.
  • Options
    Instead of a fly past, the Red Arrows should do a cycle past....think of the carbon foot-print.......;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

And may I ask just how it was that you and one or two others first heard of this petition and how you subsequently learn't that it's 'supposedly' a not genuine subject matter, you have an advantage over me in that you got the info from somewhere, I unfortunately didn't, so there's no need to diss me and half a million others 'less fortunate' than yourself is there; I only heard about it today as a matter of fact.
    Anyway, as I said, if there are some who do want to drop them from any 'proposed future plans' (careful how you phrase it SoundAs) and have expressed those misgivings,then this petition may just make them think twice...so not neccessarily a wasted exercise is it?

Did you bother to google it to see whether it's true or false - which is how I found out? If you had done you'd have discovered pretty quickly that the story has zero merit, plus it has been on here at least once before.

On that don't get defensive because you are too lazy to do a bit of independent research - something I'd have expected from someone who claims not to be a Sun reader...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

Did you bother to google it to see whether it's true or false - which is how I found out? If you had done you'd have discovered pretty quickly that the story has zero merit, plus it has been on here at least once before.

On that don't get defensive because you are too lazy to do a bit of independent research - something I'd have expected from someone who claims not to be a Sun reader...

For the record I didnt know it wasnt a hoax. Looks like myself, 500k people + a fair few on here arent the clever clogs that you are. Give yourself a badge
  • Options
    It's a sorry indictment of the unpatriotic nature of this Government that half a million people believe it capable of such an insult to a great British institution like the Red Arrows.
  • Options
    No Len your wrong u must be they are all thick twats BFR has told em thay are.
  • Options
    For the record I didnt know it wasnt a hoax. Looks like myself, 500k people + a fair few on here arent the clever clogs that you are. Give yourself a badge

Nope I didn't either but I googled the story - which only took a few moments as it seemed a bit ridiculous and found tons of leads that debunked the story. Surely you know better than to believe something without evidence?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It's a sorry indictment of the unpatriotic nature of this Government that half a million people believe it capable of such an insult to a great British institution like the Red Arrows.

I think it says more about the ability of newpapers not to check their sources properly before publishing. But what do you make of the 59.5 million people (or so) who didn't fall for it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BTW Dan you don't believe all those Nigerian and phishing scam e-mails do you?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It's a sorry indictment of the unpatriotic nature of this Government that half a million people believe it capable of such an insult to a great British institution like the Red Arrows.

I think it says more about the ability of newpapers not to check their sources properly before publishing. But what do you make of the 59.5 million people (or so) who didn't fall for it?

I suspect they haven't signed the petition through 1) lack of internet access, 2) ignorance of it's existence (possibly because of 1) ) 3) inertia or 4) they hate Great Britain as much as the Government appears to.
  • Options
    This made me laugh.

Imagine the UK government worrying about upsetting all those foreign regimes that they sell arms to with an RAF display team. Shocking. :)

They're much more likely to have used the event as 'Red Square Parade' type of trade exhibition for UK military exports! :)
  • Options
    I believe that there is a petition being set up against the decision that the Government may make to not send a team to the 2012 Olympics.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]For the record I didnt know it wasnt a hoax. Looks like myself, 500k people + a fair few on here arent the clever clogs that you are. Give yourself a badge

Nope I didn't either but I googled the story - which only took a few moments as it seemed a bit ridiculous and found tons of leads that debunked the story. Surely you know better than to believe something without evidence?

Indeed. Youre quite right and why I said you were such a clever clogs
  • Options
    I suspect they haven't signed the petition through 1) lack of internet access, 2) ignorance of it's existence (possibly because of 1) ) 3) inertia or 4) they hate Great Britain as much as the Government appears to.

Hmmm, so someone who hasn't signed a petition for an obviously made-up story has done so because they hate Great Britain and/or don't have internet access, but not because they might have realised how moronic the story was in the first place, or because they might have done a couple of seconds of research to suss it out first...
  • Options
    Indeed. Youre quite right and why I said you were such a clever clogs

Thank you...I haven't lost faith in your mental acumen either...
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    jesus *&^%$£^&*%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]For the record I didnt know it wasnt a hoax. Looks like myself, 500k people + a fair few on here arent the clever clogs that you are. Give yourself a badge

BTW Dan you don't believe all those Nigerian and phishing scam e-mails do you?

Its alright BFR. You've made your point that youre more of a clever clogs than I am. Just leave it at that. Theres no need to drive the point home for a 2nd time with me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Indeed. Youre quite right and why I said you were such a clever clogs

Thank you...I haven't lost faith in your mental acumen either...

LOL! Oh dear......
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!