Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watchnig Golf...

The better half and I are going to Sunningdale in a couple of weeks for the Women's British Open. never been to a live golf event before, any tips?....

Comments

• Find a different hobby?!
  • take a rucksack for the beer
  • A lot will depend on the weather mate.

If it's nice, then a gentle meander through the course watching the early players on the course is always nice. As you get a bit leg weary and the lure of alcohol hits, then find nice spot by the 18th green and park your bum in the grandstnd while watching them finish up.

The tented village they put up at these events are usually around the club house so nice and near to the 18th as well.

And if it's p*****ng down, the aforementioned tented village is the place to be to have a beer and watch it on the TV.

Either way, have fun.
  • As others have said its a gentle day out, rather like a day at the cricket.

Take a back pack with some refreshments in it and a jacket as no matter what the weather is like, sitting around on the grass for long periods can get damp and chilly.

Oh and no singing
  • edited July 2008
    Mate you wont get in Stone Island is band.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Mate you wont get in Stone Island is band.

Surely Pringle and Lyle & Scott would be acceptable?..
  • Laura Davies....would you?:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Laura Davies....would you?:-)

No. She looks like McMoist in drag
  • We usually sit on the 1st green watch them all come in...Wait til the last have past, have a general walk around then park up somewhere on the 18th. Not too knackering that way.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Laura Davies....would you?:-)

No. She looks like McMoist in drag

I would like to point out that this does not mean I have previously seen Valley McMoist in drag, nor in any way am I implying that he does, or has at some point dressed up in ladies golf clothes and a blonde wig.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why on earth would anyone go to watch golf?
  • I'm with you Offy.

I just don't get it. Many times I have said Golfers as sportsmen probably have no equal when it comes to skill factor but to stand there and watch them it just doesn't make sense to me
  • Its all horses for courses.

I played at a pretty high level when I was a younger but only really watch The Open, Masters and Ryder Cup on TV. Yet I know people who will watch every minute of a Pro-Am tournament in Peru if it was on
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I'm with you Offy.

I just don't get it. Many times I have said Golfers as sportsmen probably have no equal when it comes to skill factor but to stand there and watch them it just doesn't make sense to me

As someone with vast experience of golf (two 9 hole rounds in my entire life...), I would say part of it is to watch how the pros do it, close up. Even I have noted a couple of things to try next time I play from watching a fair bit of the open this weekend.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I'm with you Offy.

As someone with vast experience of golf (two 9 hole rounds in my entire life...), I would say part of it is to watch how the pros do it, close up. Even I have noted a couple of things to try next time I play from watching a fair bit of the open this weekend.

You and me both Algarve, I play as often as she indoors will allow and watch mainly to learn and try to put it into practice (and that is easier said than done) I`m playing this afternoon and the first thing I`m going to try is hitting the poxy thing STRAIGHT ;-)
  • You and me both Algarve, I play as often as she indoors will allow and watch mainly to learn and try to put it into practice (and that is easier said than done) I`m playing this afternoon and the first thing I`m going to try is hitting the poxy thing STRAIGHT ;-)[/quote]

Just aim for the gap between the windmill blades and every shot will be straight.