Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reality T.V

Unlike some other discussion/ forums available (no names, no pack drill) there seem to be a number of reasonably intelligent well read and articulate posters on here.

So my question is, where do we stand on reality T.V?

Last night for my sins I actually watched (for the first and last time) "I'm a has been get me some publicity", what a pile of shoite masquerading as adult T.V.

Chris Tarrant and Co were doing a very much better show 20 odd years ago on Saturday morning Kid's TV with the added bonus of not having those two irritating midget Geordie W**kers involved.

You may have gathered I'm not a fan but I'm interested in others point of view.

What do you think?

Comments

• I found it amusing enough. Reality TV works as long as those involved or producing it realise they are taking the piss out of the participants.
  • Despite myself, I find Ant and Dec very amusing. You can tell that they are two mates who genuinely find these things amusing.
  • As one of the non intellectuals on here ,can I still have my say?

Reality TV is a pile of shite. It is not reality TV because they know the cameras are there and are therefore acting.

What I want is for them to put hidden cameras in someones house (picked purely at random) and we all sit back and watch - lots of cameras in the bedroom and shower please. There TV wont be able to pick this up of course and will be linked to a nice film or something else instead. A bit like that film with that bloke who once played somesort of animal detective - my brain is now functioning at less than the normally 5%.........................
  • a lot of stuff that gets lazily tagged "reality TV" has been around for donkey's years - X-Factor's no more than a 21st Century Opportunity Knocks, for example.

Can't stand "celebrity" reality TV, but the original series of Big Brother was compelling stuff, and there's still plenty of life in that series and that whole "surveillance" stuff - unfortunately it all gets flogged to death, and is now seen as a quick route to fame.

Funnily enough, Myleene Klass was in one of the earliest reality TV shows, The Doll's House, on Bravo, way before Hear'Say.
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]I found it amusing enough. Reality TV works as long as those involved or producing it realise they are taking the piss out of the participants.

I see what you're saying but I can't help thinking it's more about overpaid undereducated T.V executives taking the piss out of the viewing public. No wonder 98% of undergraduates these days are doing media studies. It must take all of three days to achieve.
  • but what did you tyhink of the programme on after im a celeb. i really wanted to watch that!
  • [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]I found it amusing enough. Reality TV works as long as those involved or producing it realise they are taking the piss out of the participants.

I see what you're saying but I can't help thinking it's more about overpaid undereducated T.V executives taking the piss out of the viewing public. No wonder 98% of undergraduates these days are doing media studies. It must take all of three days to achieve.

that may be the case but the only reason there is so much of it on the box is because people watch it.
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]As one of the non intellectuals on here ,can I still have my say?

I have always considered you to be one of the most intellectual around D.

Then again I always flatter anyone more than a foot taller than me :)
  • didn't know that about mylene class.

as the most intelligent poster on here, i enjoy some reality shows such as the apprentice, and anything that is trying to improve something, failing business, restaurant etc.

what i can't stand are the ones that in an hours programme will only show about 7 minutes of relevent clips, the rest being muppets chatting in the studio, adverts and numbers for you to text.

does my nut in.
  • "Then again I always flatter anyone more than a foot taller than me :)"

As they say JW..... "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Actually who does say this .............. the local gypsies I suppose?
  • Sponsored links:

• that may be the case but the only reason there is so much of it on the box is because people watch it.

Or is it that people watch it because it's the only thing on the box these days?
  • Actually who does say this .............. the local gypsies I suppose?

LOL presumably after watching "I'm a has been..." on the sattelite T.V they've managed to install in the Caravan.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]didn't know that about mylene class.

as the most intelligent poster on here..

Absolutely AFKA, (abases himself in a Wayne's World kind of way moaning "I'm not worthy" ;)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]didn't know that about mylene class.

as the most intelligent poster on here, i enjoy some reality shows such as the apprentice, and anything that is trying to improve something, failing business, restaurant etc.

I have to agree with half of that post by AFKA.

In my mind, there is a world of difference between the shows that actually have a purpose such as Kitchen Nightmares and Strictly Come Dancing (the two shows which I must confess to watching) and the inane drivel that is pumped out as I'm a Celebrity or Big Brother etc. Surely life offers more opportunity than staying in each night to watch cockroaches being dropped on fading soaps stars.

Mr Bartram's other point was clearly delusional.
  • edited November 2006
    "Funnily enough, Myleene Klass was in one of the earliest reality TV shows, The Doll's House, on Bravo, way before Hear'Say"

Good heavens! She has based an entire career on appearing in reality TV.

TV has become her reality!
  • It is the same old bollox year in year out, once you have seen, say, big bro 1 then there is no need to watch any others. Reality tv sucks worse than even normal tv, which sucks too!

I personally hate tv, i hate hospitol drama the most! WTF is that all about! WHo would want to watch tripe like that! Get a good book i say!
  • what book have you ever read??
  • loads man, tele is for under achievers!

Half way through mickey V's book about the ashes at the mo
  • lucky you said it was to do with cricket, as Disney sprung to my mind at first!!!
    Cheers for the ticket bruv.
    Peaky - how's it going?
  • MCSMCS
    edited November 2006
    thank ketters, you be with him with the north upper ultras
  • Sponsored links:

• "reality tv" is a shocking attempt to fill up the tv hours- Don't watch it- or soaps- or hospital drama's. Or anything that has to be hyped to get an audience

Love some comedy stuff- Peter Kay and stuff, Animal planet (as eulogised about in another thread) Top Gear ( not that Ollie!) and Sky Sports News/ Sky News)

far better things to do!