Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

GolfAddick talks sense - at last !!!

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
plagerised from NetAddicks :

I know I'm going over old ground, but i wasn't around yesterday to add to the posts, so.......here's my take on both the Man Ure game, but more importantly, Bolton.

Wed night should have showed Dowie what the meaning of the word "wide man" is by comparing 2 players. Firstly Hughes: enough has been said about him by others - but if Dowie can't see by now that he is at best a Championship player then heaven help us for the rest of the season. Hughes has played 180 mins of football and i don't think he has touched the ball more than a dozen times. 2nd half against W Ham he was awful had never touched the ball once - wed night just as bad. If he plays tomorrow I feel like running onto the pitch and showing him what a tackle is myself.

The other player - rommedahl. Came on for 10 mins and put in more crosses than any else has over the last 2 games. The first was a peach - low and hard about 8-10 yards from the goal - a strikers delight. I imagine Lineker,Owen,Shearer etc drooling over that service. Unfortunately by then Darren Bent had run his socks off and Marcus Bent hadn't even put his on. I've read reports (rumours) that Rommedahl could be off by next Thursday. If he does then my ST is going back.

Tomorrow.....Bolton. Our bogey team at home - 6 Premiership games - 1 point.....and now they have Anelka. Put your house, car and family on him scoring for them in a 2-1 win. Its a cert.

As for the future. After the International Break we have Chelski away(another 0 points) and then Pompey and Villa - must get at least 4 points from those as we then face Arsenal (another 0 points)and come the end of september we could have less than 6 points and be rock bottom. Now i'm not a one to panic - after 6 games last season we had 15 points and were sitting 2nd with only 1 defeat - and look where we finished. Perhaps this season it will be the reverse........who knows?

One thing we all know is that we can't go into September with the midfield the way it is. At least one more decent player has to come in (Malbranque/Sidwell/Gravesen/Davies/Murphy) and Hughes and to a leser extent Holland have to go. Faye looks ok but is going to suffer if he has those 2 along side him all season. I'm sure Dowie and Murray know this, but are they going to act in time ?
Also another striker instead of M Bent and a defender with the leadership qualiites of a Webster or a Shirtliff.

Finally - for all you stato's out there. We have only scored 2 goals from our last 6 premiership games(albeit 2 v Man U)and they have been penalties - none from open play. Now who thinks we don't have a problem in the middle of the park ?

Comments

• He must be loving being bottom of the league, and he's one of the reasons I can't be arsed with NA anymore.

The bloke loves misery.
  • Totally agree

Hes like some sort of "Bad News Vampire"!! Never ever posts after a win or a match where we've played well.....

Never met someone so fucking negative in my whole life!
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]plagerised from NetAddicks :
    Now i'm not a one to panic

LOL, oh the irony !
  • I agree with some of his points, but the bit about Rommedahl ?

So someone who has consistently failed to deliver over the past two years, has a good ten minutes at the end of a game that was effectively over, and as a result of that, if he is sold he will return his season ticket ??
  • yeah, that bit is a tad stupid, but in general I agree with him and believe me, sitting next to him every game, that doesn't happen very often. In fact he and my parents have already seen off my wife.
  • If it means goodbye Golfie then I'm willing to sacrifce Romm ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I agree with some of his points, but the bit about Rommedahl ?

So someone who has consistently failed to deliver over the past two years, has a good ten minutes at the end of a game that was effectively over, and as a result of that, if he is sold he will return his season ticket ??

Unfortunately Bart this is a typical sweeping generalisation from someone who has proven over time that he has no idea about the finer details that affect football other than the basic "score more goals" tactic...........
  • [cite]Posted By: randy_andy[/cite]If it means goodbye Golfie then I'm willing to sacrifce Romm ;o)

LMFAO!
  • so we're agreed the Romm bit is a tad stupid,
    the Anelka bit is a tad stupid as he's not in their squad,
    the malbranque / gravesen bit is stupid as we could not afford their wages and they would not sign for us,
    the sidwell bit is stupid as reading have categorically stated they will not sell now, and besides there were at least 4 other clubs interested in him,
    the blaming of the centre mids for the lack of goals is stupid, if anything it should be the strikers or the wide midfielders that should get the flack.
    So basically, he's excellent post consists of Bryan Hughes is cr&p.

Of which i whole-heartedly agree !!! :-)
  • Can I post that on your behalf on NA? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• yeah, other than the points you raise there AFKA, he's spot on.
  • LOL. Think you are all a bit unfair on him though. I disagree with most things he says about anything but at the end of the day he's entitled to his opinion and as Golfie posts go this one is quite sensible and valid. We could disect and pick holes in evey post from anyone but sometimes you cannot post exactly what you want or expand a point excatly as you'd wish and sometimes in loses something in translation. We can't all write as eloquently as Frankie Valley or An Addick For Life.
  • don't worry large, me and my brother normally argue and have exact opposite views on everything Charlton. For a while at first i thought he was Golfie !!
  • i agree with the central midfeilder point. last season we started positively but teams sussed us out and exploited our defensive frailties, to balance the situation curbs dropped murphy and played a defensive partnership of kish holland/hughes and smertin. This subcequently made our team very defensive and unentertaining, and results failed to pick up. If we had a player like murphy, who was excellent at assists, and a player like faye, who has already proven himself to like a tackle i beleive we would have the basis for a good balanced midfeild. Hughes wont let you dont in matches, however he does tend to dissappear and he will never make the sort of impact rommadahl or thomas can make. A in form rommadahl is lethal and he should be given a chance under the new regime. I also agree that a new stiker shuld be brought in as M Bent has proven a massive failure. The signing of murphy/alternative creative midfeilder and a decent striker would enable us to challenge for a top 8 spot. Unless we do this we will always have an unbalanced midfeild and a lack of attacking options when jfh gets tired.

If anyone feels they can possibly argue with this post then bring it on! i am right!
  • I really want to knock your confidence in your last line.

But i can't. It was all sense.

The only but i have is that Murphy burnt too many bridges, not just with the fans but with players and officials at the club. He won't be back. End of.

Which is a shame in one sense because he is exactly what we need right now....
  • yes i agree, murphy would find it very hard to come back, as would parker/defoe/konch, funny that looking at those four players, if we had them then all our problems would be solved, to a certain extent, i meen we still would have the ugliest manager in the premiership and a chubby winger who thinks hes Ronaldinho ( JT)!!
  • I still think the other three would be accepted back a lot quicker the Murphy would.