Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flight Costs

The Mrs has been working long hours lately and thought she might naff off for a couple weeks to Banagkok to see her little niece. We paid £600 per for flights in March. This time she was quoted £1,100 !!!! i looked on net and could get it down to £870 if she books and pays now. Thing is there might be a few "budget" airlines out there but as she is going on own we wont do those. We have never paid more than £600 before.
If your thinking of a long haul flight somewhere nice get a package as it looks like the flight costs are flying !!

Comments

• Options
    I looked about going to Bangkok in February and the flights were £579 flying direct with Thai Air. Thought that wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    It's not only flights GH.
    Only last week my local butcher 'Julian' put his meat up a couple of coppers!
  • Options
    Blimey mate what did the coppers say ?

Red thats the normal cost that time ofy ear (£480-580). High season Uk cost is July but stunned its that amount.
  • Options
    Myself and a mate booked Flights to Los Angeles at the weekend for November. I had been monitoring the price for the last week. The price had been increasing on a daily basis allegedly due to the escalating Fuel costs, seeing as that is only gonna get worse I suggest to anyone thinking of booking a flight do it now, prices are gonna seriously increase as Fuel prices head skywards.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]It's not only flights GH.

Disgraceful, the hot & spicy sausages in Colney Road butchers in Dartford this weekend were 55 pence each, heads should roll.
  • Options
    cost of head has is going down.
  • Options
    well matey there cheaper in the coop and less sawdust
  • Options
    i see one airline has laid 3000 people off due to high costs and less people travelling and another cant think who have cut services by 11%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]It's not only flights GH.

they certainly are raising the steaks then...
  • Options
    One of the problems with the Bangkok route is the time of year that you fly. Travelling in the summer holiday months has always been expensive for Bangkok. You could look at flying into Hong Kong, which has too many flights at the moment, and flying on from there or, possibly, go to in Singapore and take an Air Asia flight from Singapore to Bangkok. Other than that, I suggest you travel in November, when fares drop significantly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2008
    TMA , said we was there in march at £600 Mrs wants to go now and she will be on own. Expected it to be higher but not as much as that.
    what i think we will do is she goes now at that cost and we put next years visit back till April for Songkran, been 16 years since i saw it for real.
  • Options
    Direct flights have really gone up in price, especially Thai Airways.

Look at the Middle East airlines, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar.

Of course, GH, you may have an aversion to flying with the first of these carriers!
  • Options
    What about Malaysia Airlines to Kuala Lumpur(a really very nice airline and far more direct than the middle eastern airlines already mentioned) and then an onward flight from there to Bangkok, either with them or any of the numerous airlines that operate that route out of KL.
  • Options
    What about a boat?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]well matey there cheaper in the coop and less sawdust

But there were nice in a sandwich while watching Doctor Who, and he does cheap BBQ packs as well
  • Options
    Bangkok fella Emertits airlines were the one asking for £1,100 as i said to em "f**k off dont want to buy the football ground !"

Eva was the one quoting £870.

If i was going with the Mrs i wouldnt mind going by the Middle east did it for years in the past and via KL as well, but as she is fying on her jack i dont fancy that idea much. One is security and the next is the shopping areas in the Middle East stop overs and my Mrs shouldnt be put together !!
  • Options
    I too did a bit of airline shopping last night. I paid £685 Return to Sydney with Qantas in April,returning end part of May, which is a bit cheaper than it has been for a while. I looked at travelling again in September after the shoulder when it gets cheaper and was stunned that it was rated at £1144. Did a search on Travelocity.co.uk and found prices as low as £850 Asiana/Malaysian/Ethiad but all were well over 30 hours travelling time. Eventually found Cathay via Hong Kong 22 hours (Still 2 hours longer than Qantas/BA) at £950. It pays to really shop around, but be wary of the actual travel times shown.
  • Options
    The good thing about using Kuala Lumpur as a hub is that it's on the way to ALL south east asian and Australian destinations (even China and Japan as a mattter of fact), so your not doing two sides of a triangle so to speak as you would going via middle eastern hubs.
  • Options
    Jet airways via Mumbai should be about £650.

Otherwise Gulfair, I think via Bahrain gets in about same price.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]... and we put next years visit back till April for Songkran, been 16 years since i saw it for real.

Flights ain't gonna be cheap at that time of the year - plus they can get very packed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sat 7 march - sat 21 march heathrow - bangkok

£562.45
    - Expedia Special Fare

21:30 Depart London (LHR)
    Arrive Bangkok (BKK) 15:35 +1 day Sat 7-Mar
    Duration: 11hr 5min EVA Airways 68
    Direct flight

13:20 Depart Bangkok (BKK)
    Arrive London (LHR) 19:10 Sat 21-Mar
    Duration: 12hr 50min EVA Airways 67
    Direct flight
  • Options
    yes so the above is the price for March which is when i said we paid £600. Cant see what that has to do with the cost going up to over £870 (Eva) in July ?
  • Options
    flight £651.90
    - Expedia Special Fare
    21:30 Depart London (LHR)
    Arrive Bangkok (BKK) 15:05 tip+1 day Sat 5-Jul
    Duration: 11hr 35min
    Thai Air International Thai Air International 917
    Direct flight

12:25 Depart Bangkok (BKK)
    Arrive London (LHR) 18:30 Sat 19-Jul
    Duration: 12hr 5min
    Thai Air International Thai Air International 916
    Direct flight
    Choose this flight
  • Options
    opodo is quite good as it says how many seats are left. the flight above only has 4 left.i think that one a certain amount of seats are filled,then the airlnes usually raise their prices as everything else is just profit.
  • Options
    It's the same for flights between London and Vancouver - Last year paid CAD600 - This year it's about a grand
  • Options
    Malaysian Airlines have really hiked up the fuel surcharge and they are nearly a grand to Bangkok via KL.

If you are flexible there are Emirates flights next month for GBP740ish.

Glad I booked early to come back in August, about GBP500 return with Emirates.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's only going to get worse.

Peak oil