Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Using 'Foreign' Labour'. . . .

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]I really don't know were all this "all English workers are lazy lets get foreigners in" Bullshit comes from!

I don't think there's any great differences overall in the workforces of different countries. I think that people always try to put far more emphasis on differing national characteristics than there really are. Lets face it, we are all motivated to some extent by very similar things (understanding the importance of our work, doing work we enjoy and being appreciated for doing it...) and demotivated by similar things (doing pointless/menial tasks, not being appreciated...). Some will be more conscientious and/or better motivated than others, but I'm really not convinced that there are any national traits that make a person born in one place any better or worse than someone born somewhere else.

The only thing I can think of that might make foreign workers here better than English ones is that the ones that take such a big step as to go abroad to get a job, are likely to be amongst the higher motivated (or perhaps more desparate) workers from their own countries. I'm sure that there are just as many lazy Poles as there are lazy English, but they are unlikely to be here are they; you are far more likely to find the lazy ones hanging around Gdańsk or Kraków.
  • Options
    Good shout DK.
  • Options
    Not wishing to get overly pc about this, but I have two observations.

Firstly, surely the definition of racism is the ideology and practice of prejudice, discrimination, violence, etc, by one human group on another. So can you be racist against your own kind???

Secondly, it's very easy to say because of your own personal experiences that any one section of our society, Polish, Irish or English work harder than any other section.

I for example had two guys plaster my walls last year who were recommended by a friend. They were top notch did a great job and at a very cheap price and yes they were English, (Hamsters as it turned out). Conversley I had a guy who repaired my chimney who did a poor job, was a rip of merchant because it was an insurance job and left his bloody trowels in my gutter, also English.

We have an engineer at work who is Albanian and is probably the best worker we've had in the last five years, since our English engineer retired. Two successive English guys we had as replacements were a complete waste of space.

Guys I had all this, your parents are over here taking my parents jobs and being called scum as a result, when my Irish Mum and Dad came over and took on work that some of the local English wouldn't touch with a barge pole. (Graveyard shift bus conductor and shit house cleaner at the local loony bin).

Usually the ones saying it were those whose parents were at home milking the dole for all it's worth. My parents worked shoulder to shoulder with English, West Indian and Asian colleagues, some worked harder than others, but it was not exclusive to one group.

Being ignorant, lazy, greedy, incoherent cretins is not the exclusivity of one race, they exist in all.