Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plumber urgently required

edited June 2008 in Not Sports Related
Hi,
The overflow pipe from our cold water tank is leaking and water coming into the conservatory. May be a bigger job that just replacing the ball valve but we have phoned 3 plumbers and no one has got back to us. Can you recommend anyone reliable? We like in Westcombe Park Blackheath
Thanks

Comments

• Try the Drain Doctor. They're not cheap but they will come out quite quickly.

Drain Doctor
  • If its still running can you turn the incoming water suply off ? if you cant ,can you get to water tank and tie ball valve up so it stops watering geting to tank ? If you tie ball valve up and water still comes in then the valave is nackered and even if the plummer gets there he will need the mains water turned off.

All the plummers in Thompson and yellow pages are linked by some ring round thingy , sometimes your lucky and they will be there quick and are good other times its hours before they get there.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Try the Drain Doctor. They're not cheap but they will come out quite quickly.

[url=[url]http://www.draindoctor.co.uk/[/url]]Drain Doctor[/url][/quote]

Drain Doctor phoned back which is a good start, Many thanks
  • Call Simon at RG Austin on 020 88587359 - they're good and local and reliable - but not very cheap.
  • had this myself, valve on the ball-cock thingy, get down to bnq and do it yourself?
  • P.S. you might want to look at altering your overflow so it doesn't flood your conservatory too?
  • [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Try the Drain Doctor. They're not cheap but they will come out quite quickly.

[url=[url][/url]http://www.draindoctor.co.uk/]Drain Doctor[/url]

Drain Doctor phoned back which is a good start, Many thanks

Did you get sorted...I know a good plumber who can attend quickly
  • My boy`s a plumber if ones still needed?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]had this myself, valve on the ball-cock thingy, get down to bnq and do it yourself?[/quote]

We would do but we have a spaghetti of old pipes in the loft, some partially corroded and we are a little worried tht if we touch it it will all fall down!!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]My boy`s a plumber if ones still needed?[/quote]
    Thanks, we have contacted Drain Doctor, but for future would be grateful if you could pass on his contact details
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Call Simon at RG Austin on 020 88587359 - they're good and local and reliable - but not very cheap.[/quote]

They were one of the ones we called but they have not got back to us
    Kim
  • would be interested to know how much drain doctor charge you
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]would be interested to know how much drain doctor charge you[/quote]

will let you know on friday - been quoted £68 for first hour,
  • that is exactly what RG Austin charged me the other day - plus VAT = about £80 - he was only there 15-20mins.
  • Yoohoo, it was RG Austin that came to us not Drain Doctor ( miscommunication betweem me and hubby!)they were at house 45 mins so suspect will charge for an hour but at least they came when they said they would.
    Kim
  • our washing machine is fooked. it won't drain the water, and hasn't been spinning recently. we think its a blockage, but no idea how to find out without getting a plumber out. It currently has about 2 inch deep water sitting in it.

any recommendations and idea of cost? how long do plumbers normally take to come out? ie, could i get one to come at 8am tomorrow morning?
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]our washing machine is fooked. it won't drain the water, and hasn't been spinning recently. we think its a blockage, but no idea how to find out without getting a plumber out. It currently has about 2 inch deep water sitting in it.

any recommendations and idea of cost? how long do plumbers normally take to come out? ie, could i get one to come at 8am tomorrow morning?
    Weird - mine is doing exactly the same thing as well since friday.

I'm contemplating pulling it out but pretty sure i'll cause a flood of some kind.
  • if you look at the bottom of your washing machine -on most anyway - there should be a little door open that and you should find a circular door with a screw - take the srcrew out and remove the door - behind that you'll probably find it blocked with crap so clear that out firstly.

after that pull it out theere will be a plastic pipe running frm the washing machine, usually grey, into a white waste pipe. Pull the grey one out and check their is now blockage in that because that is where the water will go to so if it is building up in the machine you'll probably find that grey pipe could be blocked or the white waster one.

It's inevitable you'll spill water so have a bucket /towels ready
  • how far can you pull them out ? our kitchen isn't massive. not sure if we should give this a go tonight, and wait on calling the plumber.....
  • Sponsored links:

• you probably don't need a pluber - do what Ledge says.
    And have some bowls and towels at the ready!
  • thanks ledge and wss

les is going to have a busy night tonight! :-)
  • edited July 2008
    It could be a blockage or maybe pump not working or jammed.

In order to get the water out before you do anything else - locate the corrugated grey hose that Ledge refers to and remove it from the sink waste fitting and then lay it down into a bucket or whatever to allow the water in the machine to gravity drain out. If the bucket fills up lift the end of the hose above the height of the m/c and then lower it again when the bucket has been emptied - and continue until all water has come out.

Once you have drained the machine it will be easier to check on things without worrying about the water in the machine emptying out all over the place.
  • we can open the front of the machine. we've scooped a lot of the water out the front way. when i say we, i meant Dec did. :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]we can open the front of the machine. we've scooped a lot of the water out the front way. when i say we, i meant Dec did. :-)

There will still be water in there that you can't see below the inner drum - inside the outer drum the hoses and pump - quite enough to make a mess!
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

Wahey , go on Les !
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

Wahey , go on Les !

I won't even be in myself!!
  • edited July 2008
    Suzzziii dont call the plummer mate . If the thing has stopped spinning it has to be the washing machine. If u call a plummer he will charge u and u wont be any further forward. In Thompsons or yellow pages there are loads of peeps who will come out to look at ur washing machine. It might only be a belt gone on a drive. Do what Ledge says first. If it aint spining no more my bet is it needs a new belt.
  • Suzi, I know a good and reliable washing machine repairman who is fairly local (Bexleyheath). His number is on a sticker on the front of my machine! I'll let you know once I get home and have a look.
  • we're in Lee, so if he has a friend that way it could be cheaper! Thanks!