Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Music

CHGCHG
edited June 2008 in Not Sports Related
Just need some of your knowledge. I watched "This Is England" the other day and really enjoyed the music. What music did the 60's and 80's skinheads listen to mainly, I need names of artists, I have heard that Prince Buster (60's) is a bit special. Any recommendations would be gladly received. What is the difference between the music that soul boys listened to compared to the orignal skinheads?

Comments

• Not a bad film but why would a girl of about 18 get off with a a boy of 12?...
  • DA9DA9
    edited June 2008
    The original skinheads (which included blacks) listened to Jamaican ska, Prince Buster being one of the first.

http://traditionalskinheads.org/

http://www.skinheadboots.co.uk/

It changed in the late 70's early 80's to be a more right wing thing, although there are a lot of anti racist groups of skins.

Not sure about one of the photos in gallery 3 in the 2nd link
  • If they are still about there was a series of albums called "Tighten up" must have been at least 10/12 they would show what the early skins were listening to. If you know the song Liquidator played before Chelsea come onto pitch (and a few other teams) that was the type of music.

Gary Bushall wrote a good article about "Oi for England" which was about the music of the 1980 skins. Thats still on line somewhere.
  • I was a 2nd generation skinhead, about 1980, fred perry t-shirts, ben sherman shirts, bleach dyed jeans, red braces, ox blood boots, crombie coats, flight jackets or crisp bags as we called them.
  • edited June 2008
    Skinheads in the 60's I never really saw any, the very few that were fleetingly around in the very late 60's (late 69 if anything), wern't exactly skinheads as such, skinheads really became iconic in the 80's, in the late 60's they were more the last knockings of the mod movement than anything else and most seasoned mods rather scorned them?
    By the way, mods were listening to Blue Beat and Ska, Prince Buster etc long before skinheads were even thought of.
  • SoundAs the biggest "gang" of Skins in the 60s were The Woolwich Chaps ,there was thousands and thousands of youths who were skins in the 60z.

It was tradditional that they brought their shoes (Brouges and Gibbsons) from Brick Lane.

In the 80z the was a shop up town called the Last Resort which seemed to be the mecca for the "new skins"
  • I remember goin to see angelic upstarts an anti fascist band skinhead band. well remember is a bit of an exageration, vague recollection would be more accurate
  • What was a Rudeboy?..
  • edited June 2008
    Never a skin but had a Crombie (loved that coat) + Harrington jacket. Noticed Suggs had a Harrington jacket on the other night on some TV channel. Had a Prince of Wales check whistle made in Thailand last year its the dogs ! Loved the brouge shoes as well , shinned mine with a passion. Think we who followed the original Skins were called Boot Boys ? never understood why though.

Would have preferred to have been a mod .Now their gear was the bol*o*. Move over Sting you were never The Face.
  • on the subject of 'This is England' a band called clayhill play on the soundtrack, great band worth listening to, formed from Sunhouse who produced one of the most underated albums ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for all of the comments, I will get down a few record shops in a bit, mad for it.
  • DA9, thanks for the links........
  • Us mods 'never' took the skins that seriously but just saw them simply as mods with their brains kicked out! LOL!
  • So, the mods listened to the soul music we are talking about first?
  • That's right CHG, way before, 62 through to 66.
  • Sorry CHG I don't know how to do links but try this.

www.ibcstudio.co.uk/MODS/modmusic.html
  • Try "the way we wore" by Robert Elms for a working class boys take on fashion in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

As for 60's skins music try "The Harder they Come" film and soundtrack on Island. Both are fantastic. You can get both discs in one package in places like HMV.

There are a million trojan compilations but one called Young Gifted and Black has most of the hits.

As the the 80s Skins there were some pretty bad post punk bands like the Angelic upstarts and the Red Skins and some nasty racist crap from the like of Screwdriver. Worth avoiding IMHO.

The stuff worth getting hold of , again IMHO, is the first two Specials albums THe Specials and More Specials, A good compliation by the Beat called BPM Beats per Minute, some early Madness stuff before they went too pop and any Two Tone compilation.
  • CHGCHG
    edited June 2008
    cheers soundasa£ and Henry
  • I always liked Selector in the early 80's, great band.

Your right about Madness Henry, they embraced the skinhead culture early on then went mainstream, never really got into the skrewdriver or 4skins stuff, too heavy a sound for me, preferred the soully music.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I always liked Selector in the early 80's, great band.

Your right about Madness Henry, they embraced the skinhead culture early on then went mainstream, never really got into the skrewdriver or 4skins stuff, too heavy a sound for me, preferred the soully music.

Selector were a good band. Mods and Skins would have been into stuff like Otis Reading, Solomon Burke, Tamla Motown and early Ska/bluebeat.

Also CHG worth checking out Northern Soul. Two good compilations Soul Survivors and Soul Survivors II full of up tempo soul dance music from the 60s and 70s. Inspector Sands is our resident Soul Boy.

I envy you CHG. All this great music to discover for the first time.

When you've got into Ska and reggae you can check out some the heavy Roots and Culture that came later. Dread Meets Punk Rockers Uptown is a good starting off point for the type of music that soundtracked the Notting Hill Riots and inspired the Clash etc etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2008
    What about Bad manners !!!! Buster Blood Vessal what a guy had a B+B in Margate last i herd. Saw em play at the Tunnel Club in about 89 i think.

There is a good double Cd of Ska "greatest hits" in the complelation section in HMV i did have it in car but got nicked when car did. Still gets the old feet moving when i hear it.

Wouldnt bother to much with the skin head bands of the 80s to much most just sounded like bad punk or thrash metal.

DA9 remember after the Brighton walk for England the Ex Skinhead bird in Tracks ? now that was reminising , would still be there now chin wagging (although she was totaly mad).
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]What about Bad manners !!!! Buster Blood Vessal what a guy had a B+B in Margate last i herd. Saw em play at the Tunnel Club in about 89 i think.

There is a good double Cd of Ska "greatest hits" in the complelation section in HMV i did have it in car but got nicked when car did. Still gets the old feet moving when i hear it.

Wouldnt bother to much with the skin head bands of the 80s to much most just sounded like bad punk or thrash metal.

DA9 remember after the Brighton walk for England the Ex Skinhead bird in Tracks ? now that was reminising , would still be there now chin wagging (although she was totaly mad).

LOL, now I do, kept asking me to remove the Elvis CD's, still, I got the pub singing The Wonder Of You.

Talking of Brighton, none of our lot staying over now, late train back etc.
  • I think we will be staying if your still up for that. The Hat wants to and a couple of others.
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]What about Bad manners !!!! Buster Blood Vessal what a guy had a B+B in Margate last i herd. Saw em play at the Tunnel Club in about 89 i think.
    One of my best memories of when I used to front a band back then was when we played the Tunnell Club, I asked if they had a straight mic stand only to be told the only one they had had been smashed to bits by Buster Bloodvessel the week before - may even be the same gig!!!

Agree with Henry on early 80s two-tone, absolute quality. I was only 12-13 at the time so I just liked the music for what it was, all the racial and political stuff went over my head. Later on though I did find it puzzling that the skins were associating themselves with music that seemed dominated by blacks. It just re-affirmed my believe that they were all total knobs.

The original Dance Craze album is one to get hold of - a live compilation of all who were good at the time. Don't get the new version, all the Madness stuff is missing as I found out to my cost. Get hold of a compilation of The Beat too - they were my personal favourites.
  • I envy you CHG. All this great music to discover for the first time.

Henry, I am looking forward to it, the record shop is going to get hammered this afternoon.
  • Going to start with the compilaitons that have been recommended on here by your good selves and then get some albums of the artists that I prefer on the comps.
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Gary Bushall wrote a good article about "Oi for England" which was about the music of the 1980 skins. Thats still on line somewhere.

http://www.garry-bushell.co.uk/oi/index.asp

Scroll down a couple of page and you will find the article. Couple of Charlton mentions.

Lot of good bands mentioned in there that I saw ... also some crap I must admit.
  • Thats the article i was talking about.
  • I used to work in a post room near Cannon street with a bloke who played trumpet in Bad Manners, his name was Paul Hyman, top bloke loads of great stories.. Had to give it up when they stoped making money when the ska scene started to die coz he had a family to support, would be amazing to think how many people out ther used to have the rock n roll lifestyle and now have mundane boring jobs like the rest of us.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]I used to work in a post room near Cannon street with a bloke who played trumpet in Bad Manners, his name was Paul Hyman, top bloke loads of great stories.. Had to give it up when they stoped making money when the ska scene started to die coz he had a family to support, would be amazing to think how many people out ther used to have the rock n roll lifestyle and now have mundane boring jobs like the rest of us.

My wife was in same class as Buster (Dougie Trendle) at school - Woodbury Down Comprehensive. Met him a couple of times - good laugh but he did like his beer!