Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Irelands vote

Just a thought if Ireland vote against the EU treaty will they be abused will the comment of "Little Englanders" ?

Comments

• Options
    i thought this was going to about the eurovision where they gave us more than half our total..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Just a thought if Ireland vote against the EU treaty will they be abused will the comment of "Little Englanders" ?

Or Daily Mail readers
  • Options
    erm perhaps little Irelanders? or were you being clever e.g. international football reference?
  • Options
    It's very serious. If any EU country does not ratify the Lisbon agreement then it's all off.
    Ireland are the only country that has had a vote on the "Treaty". The good old Paddys could save us all.
  • Options
    all because of the Turkey at eurovision
  • Options
    They are net gainers from the EU, but its still a close call if they will say yes or no.

The point is the same people who think its Ok to call people "little Englanders" as an insult and defind as inward looking "islanders" where as they are progresive outward looking "Europeans" wouldnt dream of throwing the same insult at the Irish.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]all because of the Turkey at eurovision

That's cracked me up!
  • Options
    Shouldn't we be asking the Irish that? Surely there are conservative/inward looking elements in all countries?
  • Options
    Did they let the Turkey sing a song ? never saw any pics. Only where they voted for it as their entry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Happy days it could be folks latest rumours from Ireland is that it is a No vote

comment from a senior minister "the People have spoken"

saved by the Irish cheers Grandad get well soon bud
  • Options
    How Dustin didn't win, i'll never know!
  • Options
    We should get 20 footie types next year and for 6 mins they just chant
    "you`ll never con us again, you`ll never con us again"

I did here the main money for that event comes from the BBC, so may we take our cash back and they can do it in a shed in Belarus or wherever.
  • Options
    its got so bad that the 'big 5' have to be seeded otherwise we wouldn't even reach the finals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]They are net gainers from the EU, but its still a close call if they will say yes or no.

The point is the same people who think its Ok to call people "little Englanders" as an insult and defind as inward looking "islanders" where as they are progresive outward looking "Europeans" wouldnt dream of throwing the same insult at the Irish.

They are one of the main benificaries of the EU treaty, just heard on the radio that it looks like a massive NO, good for them.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They the governments of the EU will still go ahead with it against the peoples wishes.
  • Options
    Just saw on a message board re the Irish vote, someone who voted no defending the vote " we voted and if its no you should accept it, millions died so people could vote" Jesus how ironic is it that Ireland who was a neutral country in the war against facism gets the vote yet the UK who stood alone in the World struggle for a time aint given that right !
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    my gran's 2 brothers joined the british army from ireland,to fight for freedom and both lost their lives doing it.
  • Options
    Yes mate 1,000s of Irish men did. One even won a VC although he couldnt live in the REI ever again when the war finished.
    The Government of REI was neautral. So the point is still valied our country stood alone in the fight but we cant vote on our future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Just saw on a message board re the Irish vote, someone who voted no defending the vote " we voted and if its no you should accept it, millions died so people could vote" Jesus how ironic is it that Ireland who was a neutral country in the war against facism gets the vote yet the UK who stood alone in the World struggle for a time aint given that right !

Neutral , not in certain parts they weren't fella, harbours & temporary runways spring to mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2008
    wasn't it called something different until 1945? Irish Free state or something, still had queen as head os state or summink?

correction: Apparently it left the UK in 1937
  • Options
    Yer just looked at that real blitz wasnt it. Bit like LOndon , Coventry , Liverpool, ect ect.

Thousands and thousands lost there lives in the navies of the UK and US (Irish people amongst em )because ports in REI were barred and the UBoats shelted off the Irish coast. I was being polite saying neutral many dont believe the government of ROI was really nueatral at all.
  • Options
    if you had bothered to scroll down,the point made was -

"Irish neutrality in the Second World War was stretched. In April 1941, Germany had launched the Belfast blitz. Belfast, in Northern Ireland and therefore part of the United Kingdom was bombed severely during April. In response, Ireland had sent rescue, fire, and emergency personnel to Belfast to assist the city, and De Valera formally protested the bombing to the German government and made his famous "they are our people" speech. Ireland's response must have seemed unexpected from a neutral state, and some have contended that the raid served as a warning to Ireland to keep out of the war. This contention was expanded upon by Colonel Edward Flynn, second cousin of Ireland's Minister for Coordination of Defensive Measures, who recalled to the press that Lord Haw Haw warned Ireland that Dublin's Amiens Street Railway Station, where a stream of refugees from Belfast was arriving, would be bombed. The station, now called Connolly Station, stands a few hundred meters from North Strand Road, where the bombing damage was heaviest. [5] He similarly contended that the German bombing of Dundalk on July 4 was pre-warned by Lord Haw Haw as a punishment for Dundalk being the point of shipment of Irish cattle sold to the United Kingdom."
  • Options
    Hardly a suprise though after all the bitterness of separation which has continued in parts into the 21st century

The reason I am in favour of Europe in principal is that it looks forward and trys to build on those things we have in common to unite us, and is not backward looking concentrating on what historically divides us.
  • Options
    So Ireland was neutral then. While your relatives went and fought and died and many other Irish men fought and died the Government of REI was neutral. Is that not true.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    razil plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz one big happy fluffy family of pan Europeans !! its all about the money and the power. They always wanted our money and our economy and never wanted "us".

If the Irish vote no and they have benifited greatly from the EU, i will have a beer to toast em for it. It sickens me greatly we have not been given a chance to say yes or no.
  • Options
    Better than continual wars before the European experiment began surely? I don't pretend its perfect though.
  • Options
    But you cant deny the fact that certain groups and communities in Eire aided the German war effort against the UK, Uboats given shelter & moorings, lights lit to direct German bombers towards Belfast, sad but true, the government may have officially been neutral, but plenty of the population were not.
  • Options
    Does it really matter what happened 60-70 years ago ???

Different governments, different people, different rights, different values, different way of lives.