Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gardening update

Comments

• @Fanny Fanackapan

I came over early today and went into Sparrows Lane to watch the U18s before going to the Valley. I made a point of looking at the Pierre Bolangi memorial garden - just to say that I think you have done a great job with that. Clearly more growing to be done by some of the less mature plants but it's looking very nice, and a lovely tribute to young Pierre. I got talking to a couple of guys from Sheffield (one of whom was their driver) and told them the story. They were very touched, and impressed. Well done Fanny.
  • Aw, thanks, Davo !

Really pleased to hear you took a close look at how it's coming on.

I presume the less mature plants you refer to are the Red Robin Photinias which will gradually grow into a thicker hedge. We couldn't afford to buy the larger plants on offer as the outlay on this part of the garden was by far the most expensive.

A couple of weeks ago, I'd say the garden was at its best but the flowering plants are starting, gradually to fade.

It would be great if more Lifers could come along on our free Saturday in 2 weeks' time to watch the Upbeats train alongside T.C.E & his "boys". Before too long, there will be just the evergreen shrubs to see although we plan to plant a load of cheap daffodil bulbs at that point so there's something to look forward to in the Spring.

Anyway, thanks so much for your kind words.
  • Plots available on the allotment that i am a member of in Bromley, anyone interested in a plot PM me and i will send you contact details.
  • Lunch in the garden, another warm day of blue skies and sunshine in Cornwall's forgotten corner.

Cleared out the shed, cleaned up part of the veg plot and cut the grass.
    Feels good.

And December starts tomorrow.

• Anyone installed AstroTurf instead of tradition lawn and able to provide some feedback?

Sick of lawn I spend ages trying to maintain but inevitably still looks terrible.
  • My garden this morning.
  • Sorry to resurrect an old thread but can anyone recommend a decent gardener in South East London?

Thanks.
  • BDL said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but can anyone recommend a decent gardener in South East London?

Thanks.

My mum uses one who's pretty good. I'll speak to her and get his details.
  • @DaveMehmet Any luck?
  • BDL said:

@DaveMehmet Any luck?

Sorry mate forgot, will PM you the details now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Same question from me but for Medway area. I cannot keep on top of the weeds and grass.
  • BDL said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but can anyone recommend a decent gardener in South East London?

Thanks.

My missus is pretty good Dave, but I really need her on the allotment :-)
  • Same question from me but for Medway area. I cannot keep on top of the weeds and grass.

My answer to weeds pave the lot
  • Having received four banana plants/trees on fathers day, a couple of wags warned my good self about the risk of monkey infestation in the garden, I'm happy to report the only pink arsed baboon spotted is me, no signs of fruit yet though.
  • I see Bexley are raising allotment rents by 50%!!!! (a story I recently fed to the Bexley Times)

:)

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/news/allotment-prices-in-bexley-to-rise-to-nearly-100-by-2019-find-out-more-here-1-5280750

scandalous profiteering (big waiting lists allegedly) on the vulnerable in a time of Austerity
  • razil said:

I see Bexley are raising allotment rents by 50%!!!! (a story I recently fed to the Bexley Times)

:)

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/news/allotment-prices-in-bexley-to-rise-to-nearly-100-by-2019-find-out-more-here-1-5280750

scandalous profiteering (big waiting lists allegedly) on the vulnerable in a time of Austerity

That seems steep. I had one, up until last year, at Sutton-at-Hone for £20 a year.
  • I am looking to plant some fruit trees.
    An idea of where to purchase from and when to plant would be appreciated.
    Looking for something that will develop fruit before I die.
    Cheers
    Cheers

How long have you got?
  • and got some nice runners and tomatoes
  • Sponsored links:

Cheers

Cromer Nursery is worth a try. I bought some apple trees there, fruit the next year.

Right behind the North Pole pub which does good beer and food. Dog friendly and nice beer garden.
  • I manage two allotment sites. On one site (with very small plots) we (The Town Council) charge £10 a plot and operate at a financial loss. The second site we charge fees based on the size of the plot. Rent can be between £20 and £50 pounds. All income is reinvested back into the site with a volunteer based allotment committee deciding on how to spend the money. Both sites provide a real community benefit.
  • shine166 said:
    New beast of a flower on this cactus, anyone else collect them ? 
    Fantastic flower on that one. Cacti flowers can be spectacular and often a little surprising. 
    We have collected a few but one was left in my house by the previous owner, or to more correct his children after he died. We repotted it and for the last few years we had some fantastic flowers on it, although they are very short lived.
  • shine166 said:
    New beast of a flower on this cactus, anyone else collect them ? 
    Fantastic flower on that one. Cacti flowers can be spectacular and often a little surprising. 
    We have collected a few but one was left in my house by the previous owner, or to more correct his children after he died. We repotted it and for the last few years we had some fantastic flowers on it, although they are very short lived.
    Nice ! Yeah most of the flowers only last a couple days 
  • happyvalley has cut his grass
  • This week's project is making a three bay compost system out of used pallets. 
  • Borrowed the next door neighbours telescopic hedge trimmer yesterday and gave the monster of a hedge out the front a good going over. When I say hedge it’s mainly holly, brambles etc. Was so impressed with the hedge trimmer have bought one. Filled the brown garden waste wheelie bin and a grab bag that I had a tonne of logs delivered in. Took three hours including clearing up etc but looks much better. Want to replace said hedge with a fence but currently meeting opposition. Will win them round in the end though.
  • Nice bit of cactus action got a fair few myself, however since going to Ibiza this summer, I'm having a go trying to get some cannabis seeds going that some how turned up in my case.