Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gardening update

Comments

• rabbits mate, or rats, or people off the number 145 bus.
  • Just mowed stripes into my lawn - they are inch fucking perfect. Starting to become dangerously obsessed with it - always happens this time of year then come June or July I get bored, let it all grow too long then spend the autumn raking thatch out of the fecker.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Me Cucumber plabt has lost all its leaves and my stem is all that is left :-( any ideas folk as to what could have gone wrong

I dont know to much about gardening, but it sounds like you've gone and killed it ;)
  • there was me relying on the good folk of here to gis a clue

alrite then shall i get a new Cu plant or shall i try something else?
  • Generally with cucumbers, courgettes, toms, passion fruit, etc. You don't want high humidity in the harvest season. It will lead to mould. Maximise air circulation in confined spaces. Spraying the leaves with dilute baking powder makes for difficult pH for moulds to grow?
  • Also, cucumbers hate being uprooted & moved in their early stages. Plant them were you're going to grow them.
  • Darren

Thankyou i had just moved the plant from the pot it had been in into a bigger one so that might have caused it
  • I'm limiting myself to tomatoes, courgettes and the usual smattering of herbs. Went to a friends last weekend and picked some of his wild garlic which was fantastic, defintely planting some for next season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]In addition we are banned by law from planting any tree fruits or berries that will attract bears.

we have that problem in North Heath !! Seriously, my problem is planting any plant too expensive that can be ruined by the fecking foxes. Growing toms, cucumbers, peppers and beetroot in the greenhouse this year. I ruined last years tomato crop by actually spraying the fruit and they all went mouldy, should water at the bottom only apparently.
  • Last year was poor so moved my little plot to teh other end of the garden in a hope of some success

This Mrs just emailed me she has got Broad beans

already have Radish , Spring Onion & Lettuce in

Oh yeah and Garlic
  • Sponsored links:

• I have been planting lots of flowers this last few weeks. Other than blue bells i cant spell what i have planted but some look good all ready -- rhodedenrums (sic)---delphiniums(sic), clemitis (im sure it aint an STD).

garlic grows wild in the garden, slim flower yellow
    chives grow wild as well.
  • My consultation ends tomorrow and I should find out soon if I am to be granted 3 months garden leave.

I have such high hopes for my garden.....

in truth I'll probably just become shit-hot at Call of Duty on PS3 again
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]In addition we are banned by law from planting any tree fruits or berries that will attract bears.

we have that problem in North Heath !! Seriously, my problem is planting any plant too expensive that can be ruined by the fecking foxes. Growing toms, cucumbers, peppers and beetroot in the greenhouse this year. I ruined last years tomato crop by actually spraying the fruit and they all went mouldy, should water at the bottom only apparently.

Get a Jack Russell = no more foxes
  • Planted potatoes, salad ones and Maris pipers, had enough last year to last all winter, only got about a foot and a half of soil then shingle which must be good for them. Last year also tried cabbage cauliflower onion and squash, but all we ended up with was a fine crop of cabbage white butterflies. This year I am doing the spuds, swede, parsnip, leek and beetroot, sticking with underground stuff to spite the bastards. Plus have 7 apple trees so I really ought to force myself to like cider and start doing my own. Nice to get out in the garden, I am getting seriously old and sound more like my dad every day, will be getting chickens next, if I can convince the missus that they make great pets for the nipper.
  • Just bought a Victoria Plum tree going to put it in next weekend giving the soil a week to settle and a week for the Horse shit to take hold in the soil
  • Carrots,
    Radish x 2 types
    Lettuce x 2 types
    Potatoes x 2 types (first and second earlies)
    Tomatoes x 3 types
    Strawberries
    Peppers
  • Hark at you lot ...... all you old Covered End Boot Boys and North Stand Ultras - chatting away like grandads, giving tips about growing radishes, mould on cucumbers, getting excited about bluebells and daisies.

Hung up the Doc Martens, have we .... ?

;o)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Plus have 7 apple trees[/quote]

If you've got more than 5 trees that qualifies as an orchard. You might get an EU grant or something :-)
  • Een tuff nutts have a soft side oggy

Like dressing up as a Jelly Fish LOL

i aint forgotten i can feel a bump coming on
  • made a hanging basket for out the front looks bloody good to must admit, put trelis up out there too and planted two thunbergias to climb it over the front door, one red and orange one orange beauty,

Put some potatoes in this week end and they seem to really be doing well also planted a Kiwi fruit bush and a raspberry bush (just to see what happens)

now have both Front and back Garden looking the bollox and i love spending every moment in them
  • Sponsored links:

• put two pumpkins in the green hse this week to see what happens, never grown them before.
  • alas second lot of beetroot died..rhubarb died everything else on track..........started melon in the greenhouse well was in bq about 3 inches tall but dont thing it can fruit in england ?

potatoes doing well never grown them ? how do you know when they ready as buggers all undergound ?
  • Challenging out here as it was snowing up until Wednesday, but supposed to warm up now & I have planted a few things out that will tolerate a bit of frost - lettuce, chard, onions

Over the weekend the herbs will go in and a few other veggies - have to be careful not to attract the bears.
  • This year I will mostly be growing Weeds.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]This year I will mostly be growing Weeds.

Shhhh, Growing that stuff aint legal.
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]This year I will mostly be growing Weeds.

Shhhh, Growing that stuff aint legal.

Perhaps he made a Hash of it....... ?
  • Nice one, the gritty sons of the soil re-unite! First year I grew spring onions they were perfect. Next two years they were more like chives; tall but with no body. Am I over/under watering/feeding?
  • [cite]Posted By: Darren[/cite]Nice one, the gritty sons of the soil re-unite! First year I grew spring onions they were perfect. Next two years they were more like chives; tall but with no body. Am I over/under watering/feeding?

Sounds like they were too crowded.

Spring onions need thinning gradually in their row, to give space and light for the remaining ones to thrive.
    Keep gradually thinning every so often, and when the remaining ones mature they should be fine.

You can eat the thinnings - treat like chives, just chop them and chuck them in a salad or whatever.

That's all from Percy Throwup this week.

;o)
  • Cheers Og. Planted new seeds today. In a washing-up bowl. I've only got a Coronation St type back yard so I'm growing completely in pots. When it works it's dead satisfying
  • good day in the garden today. Cut the grass back and front. Planted out the growbags. Watched Millwall lose. Cut back some trees. Helped the misses plant out some pots with geraniums, pansies etc. Watched Newcastle get relegated. Finished tidying up, hosed down the decking. Had a nice salad. Read Charlton Life. Good day all round.