Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gardening update

Comments

• More apples than Magners brewery
    The reseeded lawn grass is growing--pleased with that.
    Strawberrys have finished.
    Courgettes ?? loads of flowers (which u can eat) but no actual courgettes ?
    Cabbages doing well
    Onions doing well
    Spring onions -- nothing
    Raddishes doing well
    beatroots nothing
    Grape vine trying to take over Kidbrooke.
    Sun flowers are 6 foot and flowering (with little sun ?)
    Toms loads and loads
    Pak Choi first time ever only 3 came through.
    Corriander went to seed straight away
    mint masses of it.
  • courgettes - had like 6 to date doing well...not sure may try eating flowers say Jamie do it last year
    Beetroot- going well
    Spring onions...shallots...red onions all out and eating...french onion soup in the freezer
    Cabbages''waste of space...all went a bit off...maybe picked tro late
    Toms last year excellant this year poor...all down to missing vital sowing weeks as in hospital
    New adveture..Mangetoutes.....really good nice crop
    Sweetcorn...good growth but think be waste of space.....3rd year of veg patch so trying whats best for soil....
    Herbs all gone to flower..
    still on allotment waiting list for datford been 9 minths now !!
  • edited July 2008
    Courgettes i have 3 woppers atleast 7 inches long and 3 or 4 inches round i also have 4 smaller ones very tasty looking i will find out saturday on me barbie

Lettuces have been the nutts loads of em

strawberries too many to eat between me and the wife

peas are flowering

sweetcorn getting huge no sign of cobs yet

tomms all flowers no tom

carrots getting there pulled one this morning very thin but bright orange (how do you know when they are ready without pulling them)

garden looking good and smelling great in the evening
  • seems Ok my lot

Radish doing well

Spring Onion not looking so great we will see

GOt pepers and Chillis in there now
  • 4got the peppers and chillis

i got 1 chilli there now and in excess of 20 flowers over the 3 plants so i am hoping for a good crop
  • edited July 2008
    Rasil the answer is both in part.
  • cool
  • so can you grow grapes in this climate outdoors? What about olive or orange lemon trees?
  • My grape vine is in green house now out the top of the green house and heading towards Broad Walk.

Vines do grow well but may not fruit. Mine does. Also had a huge passion flower down one wall. The fruit doesnt get on them time late late summer and dosnt ripen. Great flowers .

You can buy dwarf (are we still allowed to say dwarf?) orange and lemon trees/shrubs which could be put in a green house. You need a very long mainly hot summer to get the fruit in an edible state.
  • OK won't have greenhouse facility for a while yet, any recommendation for outdoor? have 90ft south facing garden which is nice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pigs mate pigs. If you cant sell em as pork take photos of em sell em to Fishnets.

Depends on what you want tho. Trees ? dont grow that fast unless u buy those conifers which take over the world.
    A pond is good.
    Get bird food hangers they are intresting.
    Sun flowers fron seed. They grow fast and are inpressive.
    Do you want a veg garden?
    Courgettes grow fast (usually)
    radishes easy
    carrots easy
    Toms very easy

nuke slugs and snails the traps dont work.
  • I live at an altitude higher than the peak of Ben Nevis, and from November to April there is more than a foot of snow covering my back garden. Summer here is really only June - August, but yesterday the temperature reached 90 & at this altitude that feels scorching so my gardening attempts are contrived to suit the climate.

In addition we are banned by law from planting any tree fruits or berries that will attract bears.

I have concentrated mainly on herbs & have had fantastic basil, oregano, thyme, dill, fennel, mint, chives and parsley - bundles of these. My tomatoes died but i think that was due to a cold snap in June. The most pleasing thing has been hot chilli peppers which have flourished in a polytunnel i built.

I also dug a garden patch but i think i need to really enrich the soil this autumn before it freezes as the arugula, spinach & lettuce were only so-so. However my rhubarb has gone crazy & next year we will have a bumper crop.

I love gardening but here it is definitely a challenge.
  • whats an ARUGLA ? looks like something im trying to spell.
  • Rocket...
  • oops yes Rocket - these yankeeisms get to you in the end
  • Any of you green-fingered people know of any good devices to stop all your neighbours cats crapping in your garden.

Tried all the usuals.....spray, pepper, cat-repellent plants, some machine that bleeps, all with no success.

Their very regular and a healthy diet I'll give them that.
  • a dog
  • Orange and lemon trees really need to be kept in a conservatory. We don't have a conservatory so for two years we brought the two orange & one lemon tree into the house for the winter months. Droppings from the trees spoilt the carpet a bit, so the missus said no way would she have the trees in the house for this past winter. So I dug them into the garden and...they survived our fairly mild winter. They are not exactly flourishing and I don't have any fruit buds on them yet.
  • GH I could do with you out here mate - I've got half an acre (smallish garden by French standards) of weeds, brambles, nettles and a bit of grass that is not much more than a mole sanctury. God I hate those little furry ferkers. Just spent the last 6 months trying to get on top of it but...10 days back in the UK recently and it looks like we've just moved in again.

Seemed like a good idea at the time having lived in flats mostly but...
  • I have got me tomms atlast half a dozen of the little green blighters and now my sweetcorn is coming through

pucker day for doing feck all but lounging around in the garden

well thats what i am saying to convince my self brightons gonna be shite
  • Sponsored links:

• GH ...... if your spring onions haven't shown yet, you'd probably do best to start again.

As the season is now advanced, why not sow them in a big flower pot somewhere sunny for a quick start - and once they're showing, just thin them out as needed. The thinnings can go into the salad bowl.

Okay, watering your pots can be a pain if you're going away - so just half bury the pot in a shadier spot, drench it, and forget about it until you come back.

If you can't be bothered with that - go buy a clump of chives from Supermarket/Garden Centre/Anywhere, stick'em in a pot, feed'em - and cut with scissors when you want.

If you keep them fed & watered, they'll come again.

Amazing what you can grow in pots & tubs - stuff grows really quick, but you do need to feed them and make sure they don't dry out.

More tips from Percy Throwup next week - including growing loads of spuds vertically. ;o)
  • edited April 2009
    On a lighter note

Who's got what growing and what are your big projects this summer

mine going for Cucumbers,Spring Onions, big Toms not the little feckas from last year, Cabbage, Radishes

any tips on how to keep an inquistive young pup out of me flower beds

spent the last 2 sundays planting and weeding changed the whole look of the front garden, cant wait for the sunshine
  • nth london

give up mate im having a loosing battle with our pub have soent a small fortune on defences
    trellis wire she bits through the lot to get to the soil so she can poo in it.....best bet give her a small area to play in and fence the route to it that way they feel they have won and you can get on with growing

on a growing note all doing well except beetroot failed twice !!!

first year of trying to grow horseradish only thing is don not have a clue what it should look like or how big it gets.....any grren fingers know ?
  • apples-- but they do their thing
    corriander
    Pak choi
    mint
    spring onions
    courgettes
    grapes
    toms
    strawberries

as for the pup shoot it and put on the compost heap.
  • carrots
    pots
    spring onions
    garlic
    onions
    pots

its funny each year we put shed load in but never think of doing fruit i guess its because you have to wait a few seasons saying that rhubarb coming on.....and good to get soem rain last week as buts dry as a bone

latest on allotment news still waiting to move up list.....!!
  • strawberries will give u fruit this year.
  • Is it too late to get the Horse raddish in or can i try to get it in this year
  • Sorry.....
    DartfordGent, "Having trouble with our "pub"" ?
  • I'm hoping for a couple of months garden leave this summer and my brand new house currently has a load of mud for a back garden......

I'm looking forward to actually doing some gardening and might even plant a few little things..just for shits and giggles
  • Me Cucumber plabt has lost all its leaves and my stem is all that is left :-( any ideas folk as to what could have gone wrong