Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dutch House

Comments

• Options
    Happy Clappy Church?
  • Options
    Carpet warehouse?
  • Options
    All you can eat Buffett?
  • Options

All you can eat Buffett?

...all made in authentic Dutch ovens.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Got a large catchment area if you consider nearest boozers are the Tavern up the Bypass, The Porcupine, The Crown on Burnt Ash Hill and The Tigers Head. Should do okay if it was run right znd the guvnor laid on some bar drugs and brasses
  • Options

Got a large catchment area if you consider nearest boozers are the Tavern up the Bypass, The Porcupine, The Crown on Burnt Ash Hill and The Tigers Head. Should do okay if it was run right znd the guvnor laid on some bar drugs and brasses

Porcupine has gone now I think
  • Options

Really? I know it was gonna be a Lidl, but I thought it was blocked by the local residents association
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Cause for celebration if true.........without doubt one of the most horrendous pubs I have ever had the misfortune to enter.......and as for the clientele (who were to a man/woman prime candidates for The JC Show), the less said the better!
  • Options

Cause for celebration if true.........without doubt one of the most horrendous pubs I have ever had the misfortune to enter.......and as for the clientele (who were to a man/woman prime candidates for The JC Show), the less said the better!
    They had a pet goat and nothing beats the rudeness of the old hag who used to work at Rose of Denmark l.
  • Options

I use to drink in there !!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"the Porky" was nice place back in the day ...a few animals in the garden for the kids as i remember but probably went downhill the same time as the dutch house ...i picked up my kids about 15 years ago from a party (the porcupine used to have a hall for hire) and something was kicking off at the car park ...a couple of years earlier i went for a family meal one sunday lunchtime when the dutch house was going through its "harvester " period ...2 fights broke out during the time we were there

its a great shame as there really is a very big void of pubs in that area now but you can why people wouldnt want to go

I hope its bought by a housing association

• Options
    went to The Dutch House for a meal the day after our wedding before we flew off in the evening on honeymoon, nearly 30 years ago. Don't think we went there again.
  • Options

Really? I know it was gonna be a Lidl, but I thought it was blocked by the local residents association
    It was blocked. Lidl are trying to sell it but there is a covenant that the trees can't be got rid of, so no one is buying.
    A fantastic own goal by the great and good of Mottingham.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

"the Porky" was nice place back in the day ...a few animals in the garden for the kids as i remember but probably went downhill the same time as the dutch house ...i picked up my kids about 15 years ago from a party (the porcupine used to have a hall for hire) and something was kicking off at the car park ...a couple of years earlier i went for a family meal one sunday lunchtime when the dutch house was going through its "harvester " period ...2 fights broke out during the time we were there

its a great shame as there really is a very big void of pubs in that area now but you can why people wouldnt want to go

I hope its bought by a housing association

I lived in Dorset Road and would walk round there with me brother for a beer. It was when they had the animals round the back and some short geezer run it, but i can remember his name for the life of me
  • Options
    Was his name Shorty?
  • Options

Yes mate, I believe Lidl purchased the site, and are now trying to sell it.
  • Options

Yes mate, I believe Lidl purchased the site, and are now trying to sell it.
    yeah, but I beleive there is a covenant that the trees can't be got rid of, so no one is buying.
    A fantastic own goal by the great and good of Mottingham
  • Options
    ...don't know why Lidl don't open it and do Perlenbacher on tap
  • Options
    ...they'd need to do a line in Rennies bar snacks mind
  • Options
    edited February 2017

...they'd need to do a line in Rennies bar snacks mind

Rennie is ok with that sort of thing in his bar is he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A little diversion, if I may...
    Does anyone remember a small-scale new-age travellers' festival, in the mid-1980s, which took place not far from The Dutch House? It was on the railway embankment (which was at that time open meadow) on the northern side of the A20. I attended this gathering one summer's evening and remember watching a band called Purple Worm. I've often wondered if this event was a one-off as people were moving from festival to festival. I can't find anything about it on the internet. Can anyone shed any light on it?

In 1991 (I think) I went to Wembley to see Guns n roses. We got back late to Mottingham (I lived near the station) and until the early hours there was something going on which I thought was a very loud house party. I found out later the same week that there had been a one day music festival. Maybe this was what you went to?????

As you say, no info. online but until now I never actually knew where it was.

• Options

Where is the porcupine ? name rings a bell but can't remember where it was.
    Thanks
  • Options

Where is the porcupine ? name rings a bell but can't remember where it was.
    Thanks
    as you are coming into mottingham village from grove park you go across a mini roundabout then a larger one one with a petrol station on yr left and a motorbike dealership on the right ...the pub would have been just beyond the motobike dealership
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The petrol station is a BP.....and the motor cycle company is of course Harley Davidson!
    So, easy to spot.
  • Options
    ..and it's next to a wooden fence where the old pet shop use to be
  • Options
    There used to be a milkmans garage next to the Porcupine i think .
  • Options

There was, I think it was Unigate.

I was in the porky one night with one of my friends who was visiting from America. He suggested that pub as it was fairly local to both of us although he had never been in there before. After about an hour he made a not too nice comment about the people in the bar. I said to him you wait a little while longer they will start fighting each other. Right on queue they did.
  • Options

There was, I think it was Unigate.

I was in the porky one night with one of my friends who was visiting from America. He suggested that pub as it was fairly local to both of us although he had never been in there before. After about an hour he made a not too nice comment about the people in the bar. I said to him you wait a little while longer they will start fighting each other. Right on queue they did.
    I was going to say Unigate, but thought I'd sound too sad :wink: