Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• LuckyReds said:

I haven't been able to remember my PIN number recently because of how widespread contactless is. I rarely spend £30 in one go - if I do I'm buying groceries, clothes, or other stuff that I get online - and it seems that I no longer have to use my PIN when I use contactless multiple times in a row.

At first it scared the crap out of me, and I even got little aluminium card protectors, but meh.. It's so convenient that I even have a contactless key ring for my business account now.

Interesting item on Wake up to money (20 minutes 30 seconds in). we are definitely heading in the cashless direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mtjvp
    On the whole it's a positive change and one that people will find convenient.

There is potential for it to go wrong. Or for a governemnt to exploit it in order to exploit us.
  • I'll have to have a gander at that @Raith_C_Chattonell - I think it's a pretty interesting time at the moment.

I grabbed a dirty hangover breakfast from Wetherspoons the other day; took my seat and ordered my food on their new app. Didn't even have to get my wallet out or walk to the bar.

If I need to head up to town for a meeting or something then I tap-in and out using a contactless keyring attached to my work USB disks.

If I pop in to Tesco I get served by a machine and pay by tapping my card on it.It's so easy to never have to touch money anymore.

It's a bit barmy to think how fast things are changing all around us, and that's not even including the likes of Uber, Deliveroo, Just Eat, Amazon.. etc

When I had to fly for work I used a mobile app for boarding and my mate would use his Apple Watch.

Similarly, I can carry around the biggest collection of music known to man (Spotify), have thousands of hours of TV and Movies via NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and still have entire libraries of books online.

All a bit nuts really.
  • cabbles said:

Why do news reporters always have to start far from and walk toward the camera when they're outside doing a piece for the news. It's pathetic. Do they think it places more emphasis on the piece? Often they combine this staged walk with some gesticulation of the hands, equally irrelevant

That reminds me. It annoys me when they're interviewing someone and they occasionally change the shot to show the interviewer nodding sagely while the interviewee is talking. Especially when you can tell it's been filmed afterwards and inserted into the piece.
  • LuckyReds said:

I'll have to have a gander at that @Raith_C_Chattonell - I think it's a pretty interesting time at the moment.

I grabbed a dirty hangover breakfast from Wetherspoons the other day; took my seat and ordered my food on their new app. Didn't even have to get my wallet out or walk to the bar.

If I need to head up to town for a meeting or something then I tap-in and out using a contactless keyring attached to my work USB disks.

If I pop in to Tesco I get served by a machine and pay by tapping my card on it.It's so easy to never have to touch money anymore.

It's a bit barmy to think how fast things are changing all around us, and that's not even including the likes of Uber, Deliveroo, Just Eat, Amazon.. etc

When I had to fly for work I used a mobile app for boarding and my mate would use his Apple Watch.

Similarly, I can carry around the biggest collection of music known to man (Spotify), have thousands of hours of TV and Movies via NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and still have entire libraries of books online.

All a bit nuts really.

That piece mentions 1 in 5 Europeans now carry no cash and 3 in 5 would like to be cashless.

It mentions things that I’d not thought of - like the cashless coffee shop, whose owner makes savings on manhours and potential problems in counting, balancing and banking paper money.

Another thing is the unseen cost to paper money. The bank of England may well charge us for using their notes in the future.

When I set up my wallet I generally aim for £70 which according to ‘Wake up to money’ is a rarity indeed with people nowadays carrying much, much less.

That said, even I - as a self confessed dinosaur - use cash less and less and that £70 is lasting longer and longer.
  • I'm off to Sandown races today, cash is king there with the bookies although I suppose eventually they'll start taking cards.
  • cabbles said:

Why do news reporters always have to start far from and walk toward the camera when they're outside doing a piece for the news. It's pathetic. Do they think it places more emphasis on the piece? Often they combine this staged walk with some gesticulation of the hands, equally irrelevant

That reminds me. It annoys me when they're interviewing someone and they occasionally change the shot to show the interviewer nodding sagely while the interviewee is talking. Especially when you can tell it's been filmed afterwards and inserted into the piece.
    Agreed. For some reason news readers/reporters seem to think they're celebrities now as well. Not someone like Huw Davies, he just gets on with it. Amol Rajan pisses me off, he's definitely one of these 'sage nodders' you talk of.

Obviously very clever and was editor of independent, now BBC's media correspondent, but you can tell he loves himself
  • Son on a day visit to Loughborough uni today which is great, but cash has moved from my wallet to his sock! A glimpse at my future I expect.
  • LuckyReds said:

I'll have to have a gander at that @Raith_C_Chattonell - I think it's a pretty interesting time at the moment.

All a bit nuts really.

That wetherspoons app is amazing. It takes about half an hour to queue up and get a drink in my local spoons on a friday/saturday night. Now I can sit at a table and wait about 10 minutes for my drinks to arrive. When they first launched it I was a bit dubious so ordered a half to test and they brought over a pint! Happy days.
  • LuckyReds said:

All a bit nuts really.

That wetherspoons app is amazing. It takes about half an hour to queue up and get a drink in my local spoons on a friday/saturday night. Now I can sit at a table and wait about 10 minutes for my drinks to arrive. When they first launched it I was a bit dubious so ordered a half to test and they brought over a pint! Happy days.
    As much as I dislike that chain of pubs they have solved a problem with that app
  • Carter said:

LuckyReds said:

All a bit nuts really.

As much as I dislike that chain of pubs they have solved a problem with that app
    Yeh tbf I never used to go in there before but now the app has made things so much easier it's quite appealing once you get past the creatures that have been in there drinking Ruddles from 10am.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had an interview for a job over 2 weeks ago, they said they'd let me know if they wanted me back for a 2nd interview by the end of that week, they didn't let me know so I emailed them on the Monday afternoon where they told me their manager had taken some leave unexpectedly so they hadn't made a decision yet but they'd let me know by the end of the next week (this week).

Still haven't heard from them, not sure whether to take this as a rejection? Surely they wouldn't take over 2 weeks to decide I'm not suitable.
  • edited April 2017

LuckyReds said:

I haven't been able to remember my PIN number recently because of how widespread contactless is. I rarely spend £30 in one go - if I do I'm buying groceries, clothes, or other stuff that I get online - and it seems that I no longer have to use my PIN when I use contactless multiple times in a row.

At first it scared the crap out of me, and I even got little aluminium card protectors, but meh.. It's so convenient that I even have a contactless key ring for my business account now.

Interesting item on Wake up to money (20 minutes 30 seconds in). we are definitely heading in the cashless direction.

That's my point of view, soon enough the cost of taking card payments will be just another necessary operating cost like utility bills, staff wages, shop rent etc. and built into the margin just like everything else. The sooner places do that, the sooner they remove that visible barrier to customers who no longer/rarely carry cash - as it's going to happen at some point.

When the electric light replaced the candle, I'm sure business owners grumbled and then found a solution to customers now expecting to consume their services under fancy, expensive lights.
  • LuckyReds said:

That's my point of view, soon enough the cost of taking card payments will be just another necessary operating cost like utility bills, staff wages, shop rent etc. and built into the margin just like everything else. The sooner places do that, the sooner they remove that visible barrier to customers who no longer/rarely carry cash - as it's going to happen at some point.

When the electric light replaced the candle, I'm sure business owners grumbled and then found a solution to customers now expecting to consume their services under fancy, expensive lights.
    It's great until governemnt use it to exploit us. When there is a financial crisis in a country what is the first thing governments do?

They limit the amount of cash you can take out of banks in any one day. Why? Partly to stop there being an run on banks and to prevent them collapsing and needing to be bailed out. And partly because they have no control over cash there is no record of it and they have no idea what you do with it. They'll never admit it but governemnts want control over everything. A completely cashless soci8 allows them that control and also reduces their risk of ever having to bail out a bank.

Many economists have predicted that it will be all the more common for governments to nick money from us by 'doing a Cyprus'. Basically introducing a one off tax on 'non-family home capital' I.e. going into your bank and nicking a% of everything you have....

For this to be effective there needs to be control over money. The less cash the better off this is.

People will say this is crazy/far fetched/conspiracy theorist but there is a growing number of economists who are saying that were there to be another crisis most western governments would have no choice but to do so.

It also raises the possibility of negative interest rates. Govts /central banks could do this in order to encourage growth in the economy and start charging people for not spending their money.

As I said great for the consumer until governments decide to abuse it.
  • LuckyReds said:

Much easier for big brother to keep an eye on the plebs...
  • LuckyReds said:

Much easier for big brother to keep an eye on the plebs...
    There's already a Hipster type London coffee shop, I saw on the news the other day, that won't take cash.
  • Spurs being permitted to play all their home games at the national stadium next season
  • Spurs being permitted to play all their home games at the national stadium next season

I'm sure they don't want to have to play here, they've got an awful record there this season.

I'm sure they don't want to have to play here, they've got an awful record there this season.
    Be well funny if they had to play the first season in their new drum in the Championship wouldn't it pmsl
  • Struggling into your wetsuit for the first time this year and realising that you might still have a few of those Christmas pounds still to lose.

Nowhere to hide in a wetsuit
  • Going out for a 4-mile run and half way round you realise the pedometer on your phone has paused so instead of doing 4-miles I did 4.33 miles and apparently in 30mins!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Watching a Sarah Beeny 'build your house from scratch' programme:
    "Pre-fabricated housing, or 'prefabs', rose in popularity after World War II..."

Rose in popularity, or were an urgent necessity after the devastation of war?
  • Going out for a 4-mile run and half way round you realise the pedometer on your phone has paused so instead of doing 4-miles I did 4.33 miles and apparently in 30mins!!

Humble-brag of the year. (but also - nice one).
  • edited April 2017

LuckyReds said:

All a bit nuts really.

That piece mentions 1 in 5 Europeans now carry no cash and 3 in 5 would like to be cashless.

It mentions things that I’d not thought of - like the cashless coffee shop, whose owner makes savings on manhours and potential problems in counting, balancing and banking paper money.

Another thing is the unseen cost to paper money. The bank of England may well charge us for using their notes in the future.

When I set up my wallet I generally aim for £70 which according to ‘Wake up to money’ is a rarity indeed with people nowadays carrying much, much less.

That said, even I - as a self confessed dinosaur - use cash less and less and that £70 is lasting longer and longer.
    what on earth does setting up your wallet involve?
  • The setting up or presentation of contents is vital to some , well me especially, notes/cards all have their correct order, even family pics depending on who's currently in the dog house have their order.
  • Watching a Sarah Beeny 'build your house from scratch' programme:
    "Pre-fabricated housing, or 'prefabs', rose in popularity after World War II..."

Rose in popularity, or were an urgent necessity after the devastation of war?

Is this the new one on channel 4 where people tell you the story behind living mortgage free? That one annoys the heck out of me.
    According to that program all you need to do is live like a hermit and squat in a field, (which I think have to do literally).
  • Paul O'Grady
  • That must be a piss take surely?