Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plumbing advice

DA9DA9
edited May 2008 in Not Sports Related
Been told by my plumber uncle over the phone that judging by what I have told him the syphon in my close capture toilet needs replacing, ie water fills in no problem but wont flush properly.

How easy is this to do, been shown on the web how to unscrew the unit from underneath by undoing the wingnuts, how easy to empty the unit and the replace the syphon (under £10 at b&q), problem I have is that I have no idea where and how to turn my mains off.

Or should I just ask my uncle to come and do it at family rates?

Comments

• dont do it with out water off mate. Check there isnt a very small in line valve called a balflex valve which would be inline with the pipe that feeds the syphon. They turn on and off with a small screwdriver. If your lucky you will have one.
  • and it's pretty easy
  • if the worst comes to worse and you still cant turn off the water then you can freeze the pipe, which will allow you to work on it.

very easy job - just make sure all the rubbers and seals are in right or they'll drip.
  • So, my uncle then.
  • If you're only replacing the diaphram and really can't find the stopcock to turn it off at the mains/tank I'd try just tying the ball valve up in the closed position. Depending on how much room you have it could be tricky to extract the unit but I've never had much success with freezing stuff. Easy job if you can turn it off though.