Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Youga to love this guys attitude !!

from the OS:

"The staff have been good with me, especially Alan Pardew. He called me back from Scunthorpe and he gave me an opportunity in the first team.

"He's now given me a three-year contract and I think he would have been hurt if I hadn't signed because he has faith in me. I signed because I am loyal with people who are loyal with me."

Youga admits he found his spell on the sidelines after Thatcher's return from injury hard to take - but insists it was a decision he took on the chin. "It was frustrating for me," Youga said.

"I thought the team had played well with me in the side but we had a bad run and the gaffer took me out because he felt we needed some more experience in my position.

"I was tired, my fitness levels were down and I needed a rest at the time but it was frustrating being out of the team. But the manager felt he needed experience and I respect his decision."

With plenty of competition for his place, including fellow youngsters Grant Basey and Aswad Thomas, it won't be easy for Youga to make the left-back slot his own next season.

But the Frenchman is up for the battle, stating: "I believe in my own qualities and it's not a problem for me having competition. Even if there are 10 or 20 other left-backs at the club, I have to believe that I am better than all of them and I won't change the way I play.

"I'm used to fighting for my place so it's not a problem for me and I'm confident I will be the number one left-back."

And after playing with Basey just in front of him on the left flank against Coventry, Youga sees no reason why the duo cannot form an effective partnership next season.

"It worked quite well," said Youga. "It's easier for me with Grant there because it allows me to get forward as he can cover for me and help me out. He's young, he's good and he has a good left foot so that formation could be an option."

After a somewhat disappointing 11th-placed Championship finish for Charlton last season, Youga, who has also spent time out on loan with Bradford City and Bristol City since arriving at The Valley, is now targeting a return to the Premier League when the new campaign kicks-off in August.

Yet the powerful defender, instantly recognisable with his flamboyant hairstyle, admits Charlton need to iron out some flaws in their play if they are to get back to the top flight at the second time of asking.

He added: "We have good players and we've got the ability to play in the Premier League. This year is going to be even harder than last year because of the teams coming down in Reading, Derby County and Birmingham City. But if we keep our levels of fitness high we can beat anyone in this league.

"Football is all about mentality and if we have a good mentality we can go back up. We need to beat the teams in the lower part of the table which is something we didn't do last season. We didn't have consistency but if we have that this year we can get back to the Premier League.

"The Charlton fans really love their team and I don't like it when the team disappoint them. I think we really disappointed them this year so now we have to do everything to make them feel good."

link herefrom the OS:

Comments

• "He's now given me a three-year contract and I think he would have been hurt if I hadn't signed because he has faith in me. I signed because I am loyal with people who are loyal with me."

Sorry but i can't believe a word any footballer says about loyalty. What he means is he signed with us because we were the best offer on the table. Do you really belive that if another club had come in for offering him say 5k a week more, then he'd have signed with us due to a loyalty he felt for Pardew.
  • i genuinely, if naively, feel this guy just wants to play football.
  • with you on that chris but I like what he's saying about being dropped and having to take it on the chin
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]with you on that chris but I like what he's saying about being dropped and having to take it on the chin

yeah me too
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    Sorry but i can't believe a word any footballer says about loyalty. What he means is he signed with us because we were the best offer on the table. Do you really belive that if another club had come in for offering him say 5k a week more, then he'd have signed with us due to a loyalty he felt for Pardew.

I'll add Chris, from what i heard, we were not the only Championship club interested in signing Kelly, and ours was not the 'best offer on the table'.

Yet he chose to stay.
  • When I read that earlier, whether it be true or not you can't help but like the bloke.
  • Glad that he is still here. Him and Basey on that flank could be very effective.

I like it that he tries to play football even if sometimes it means he gets caught on the ball.

To be honest he's been here a long time and not been given much opportunity until this year so if he had said "I'm off" then I don't think anyone could blame him.
  • I love his hair.

Youga and Yassin at full backs is something I want to see regularly next year.
  • "Hey Crabman...hey Earl"
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]"Hey Crabman...hey Earl"[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_258970 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]youga.JPG[/div][/ul][/div]

lol spot on.

At QPR away my brother said "Look that's Randy from my name is Earl over there" and it was. Spitting image of him in the lower tier behind the goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have a Randy too...that one went to Weaver!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]We have a Randy too...that one went to Weaver!!!

Pardew is quite randy from what I've heard!
  • Spare us...