Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Motson

Hopefully with the BBC losing the FA Cup that was Motty's last commentary of a FA Final.
The bloke has completely lost it. When he doesn't know what to say he just comes out with meaningless stats. This is happening more and more.
What was he talking about when Pompey scored? Going on about the linno standing still etc? He thought the goal was going to be disallowed for some strange reason. Poor old Lawro had to dig him out.
I miss Barry Davies, he was superb. No nonsense.
I look forward to good old JP becoming BBC's No.1. The bloke is quality and knows his football inside out.

Comments

• Options
    Motty has always been the Roger Irrelevant of football commentators. Sometimes less is more, I always thought his real problem was that he talked too much.
  • Options
    CliveTyldesley & David Pleat must run Motty a close second and third for most shite commentary.
    Alternatively there is always ranting ,stating the bleeding obvious Andy Gray, a bloke who is a better player now than 30 years ago.
    Alan Green tells it how it is. Commentators should commentate not entertain, that’s happens on the pitch.
  • Options
    Alan Green knows a much about football as my dog.
    All he does is shout, slag off refs and Man Utd.
  • Options
    used to rate him in his youger days getting on a bit and like most old people ramble on shame
  • Options
    JP = hysterical, know nothing Palace fan who hates Charlton.
  • Options
    Pearce was best pals with Nigel Martyn, while he was at Palarse.

Motson has got to that stage that the late Brian Moore did where he just can't keep up with the game and talks utter cobblers.

Hugh Johns was my fave commentator.

Gerald Sinstad was good but you wouldn't go to the cinema with him. . . .
  • Options
    John Motson tries too hard to be clever.

I hate it when he does England games he just slags England off. I know commentators are supposed to be impartial but when your country are playing I think your allowed to be a little patriotic. He does completely the opposite.
  • Options
    Watched the build up and halftime on the BEEB but switched to SKY for commentary. Martin Tyler is the best of the current crop, although Ian Darke and Alan Parry are both gash
  • Options
    Clive Tyldesley annoys me the most by far, rarely actually commetates on what's taking place just spouts a loud of crap in between until there's a big incident.

Motson is poor as well though, and he always has to end nearly every sentence with a question, like : that was a foul,wasn't it Mark? or, he's been booked, hasn't he Mark?

Agree with cfgs that Martin Tyler is the best, prefer most of Sky's lot to the terrestrial mob
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Alan Green knows a much about football as my dog.
    All he does is shout, slag off refs and Man Utd.

Alan Green's a terrible embarassment - Mike Ingham's the best commentator on Five Live.

Jonathan Pearce (who I preferred on radio to TV) is a Bristol Rovers fan, I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I started to watch the game on BBC, began to get frustrated with 'Motty's' observations and then remembered it was also on Sky and switched over to that.

I think Martin Tyler is now head and shoulders above most of the others and him and Gray make a good commentary team.
  • Options
    It seems strange hearing Ian Darke doing football, having got used to hearing him at 4.30 am for Lennox Lewis fights. That seems normal for him, not doing football for some reason
  • Options
    JP is a Bristol City fan.

Great Colemanball from Shearer at half time on the Beeb.

"Paul Parry's pulling off Sol campbell time and time again..."

Lucky old Sol...
  • Options
    In the good old days when the cup final was simultaneously broadcast on BBC and ITV, Motson was one of the main reasons I'd choose to watch it on the beeb. I think you're right though that he's losing it now. How many times yesterday did he feel the need to tell us that the last time Portsmouth won the cup was 1939. Well, the last time you told us that John was 19.39 seconds ago; if you cant think of anything new to say, say nothing at all.

As for Pearce I always felt that he was positive about all London clubs, but maybe that's how you have to come across when working for Capital Radio. I'd far rather him though than Alan Green who comes across to me as nothing more than a sanctimonious, know-nothing, northern gobshyte.
  • Options
    Agree but he is actually irish
  • Options
    I never was any good with regional accents. Still, Belfast is pretty far North for me.
  • Options
    and of course Belfast is in the UK not Ireland.
  • Options
    John Motson's first ever match was Charlton v Chelsea at the Valley in 1952/3 season - FACT. Is he a closet Addick?

Pearce is a Brizzle City fan - FACT

As for Motty as a commentator, he's total pants. Bring back Barry Davies I say, "look at his face, just loooooook at his face"
  • Options
    All very true about JP, he hi definitely a Bristol City fan, however his wife and her family are Palace fans, and I am led to believe Palace are his second team, if you believe its possible to have one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    Gerald Sinstad was good but you wouldn't go to the cinema with him. . . .

I like it falconwood!

A fella I know was part of that raid - it was a joint old bill, customs & excise and council thing - and he said that Sinstad was absolutely bricking himself when it all went down, virtually in tears. And then this copper turns to him and says, "Well then Gerald, not much chance of you commentating on the Cup Final now then, is there?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]All very true about JP, he hi definitely a Bristol City fan, however his wife and her family are Palace fans, and I am led to believe Palace are his second team, if you believe its possible to have one.

Exactly!

Listen to his commentary on the 98 play off final. As Sasa saves there are none of the usual screaming or hysterics, no emotion just "Oh, Charlton are promoted" in a dead pan voice. He doesn't like us and I don't like him.

He name drops. See his interview with Rednapp on Cup final morning. "I was working with Bobby Moore at the 1990 world cup and he left me to visit you in hospital"

He also repeats the same bit of useless information in four or more different ways "Here we are at the Theatre of Dreams, Old Trafford, the home of the Champions, the citadel of Manchester United, etc, etc"

He represents everything that is overblown and superficial about the way football is covered in the broadcast media these days.

And he's a Palace lover. End of.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    What was he talking about when Pompey scored? Going on about the linno standing still etc? He thought the goal was going to be disallowed for some strange reason. Poor old Lawro had to dig him out.[/quote]

Completely agree with you RE Motty, well past his best, fascinated by ronaldo and full of pointless stats. However to be fair to him he did notice a fault by the assistant referee, when a 'fair' goal is scored the assistant ref should hold their flag down by his side and run back to the halfway line. He failed to do this, more of a worry about this incident is how a highly qualified lino doesnt know the rules of the game.
  • Options
    A thread this long and not one mention of the nutcase who is...STUART HALL! Absolutely woofing mad, the fella.

Most of 5 Live's commentators are far better than most of those mentioned, very good quality indeed. Mike Ingham is a good commentator but he takes himself way, way too seriously when he's talking pre-match and post-match - he's like a doctor who's telling a patient they're terminally ill.
  • Options
    I completed my first full match commentary for the FA Trophy final the other week and therefore any criticisms I may have had about Motty or anyone else who undertakes the task have been totally put into perspective, if not completely eradicated.

Don't get me wrong it was enormous fun and I would jump at the chance to do it again. But trying not to repeat yourself, whilst juggling player and team stats and keeping up with every facet of the game as it unfolds is not an easy task I assure you. Especially on radio as you also have to try to verbally paint a picture for the listener.
  • Options
    Anyone who does not appreciate Jonathan Pearce's knowledge of football and wonderful informative commentary knows nothing about football, as proved above.
    He’s a this fan and he’s a that fan! So what? He is the best around. When he was at Capital Gold his style was what the station’s management ordered.
    Brian Moore was a Gill’s fan, I still loved his coverage.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]I completed my first full match commentary for the FA Trophy final the other week and therefore any criticisms I may have had about Motty or anyone else who undertakes the task have been totally put into perspective, if not completely eradicated.

Don't get me wrong it was enormous fun and I would jump at the chance to do it again. But trying not to repeat yourself, whilst juggling player and team stats and keeping up with every facet of the game as it unfolds is not an easy task I assure you. Especially on radio as you also have to try to verbally paint a picture for the listener.

Exactly. Well said. JP does not have a book of catchphrases and repetitions.
    Alan Green has loads. Woeful, awful, the ref's a c**t, Fergie's a c**t, This is a s**t match etc etc....
    Why they let him do the UEFA final is beyond me. He constantly slags off the UEFA Cup and Scottish football.
    He doesn't even know the names of any players outside the top 10 in the Prem. He is so bias towards Liverpool it makes me sick.
  • Options
    i just turn off when alan green is commentating , so negative makes listening to games so painful
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Hopefully with the BBC losing the FA Cup that was Motty's last commentary of a FA Final.
    The bloke has completely lost it. When he doesn't know what to say he just comes out with meaningless stats. This is happening more and more.
    What was he talking about when Pompey scored? Going on about the linno standing still etc? He thought the goal was going to be disallowed for some strange reason. Poor old Lawro had to dig him out.
    I miss Barry Davies, he was superb. No nonsense.
    I look forward to good old JP becoming BBC's No.1. The bloke is quality and knows his football inside out.

Barry Davies was excellent.
  • Options
    I was under the impression Green had a box at Old trafford...maybe Im wrong...cant stand the bloke. Motty on the otherhand when commentatiing for England games, I just turn off the sound.....he is doom and gloom and so bloody negative....just irritating to the extreme...agree about Barry Davies...top bloke
  • Options
    cant stand jonathan "straining one out" Pearce..