Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    If you don't finish it in bed at four in the morning it can't be much cop.
  • Options
    Started Murakami's The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and really enjoying it so far. Second one I've read of his and he is such a unique writer with a dreamlike quality to his work. Imagine I'll be wrapped up in this for a good few weeks.
    I read this many years ago, and though I don't remember the details now, it was very different from anything I'd read before and I really enjoyed it. Hope you do too. 
  • Options
    The Confessions of Nat Turner by William Styron.
  • Options
    Children of the Revolution - Peter Robinson. A DCI Banks novel, based around an apparently motiveless murder and a well to do family with skeletons in the cupboard. Another page turner from Robinson.    
  • Options
    Half way through 'All the Light We Cannot See'  by Anthony Doerr. Won the Pulitzer for fiction and I can absolutely see why. One of those books that has you wanting to get on the train to work just so you can carry on with it. Very highly recommended 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    IdleHans said:
    Half way through 'All the Light We Cannot See'  by Anthony Doerr. Won the Pulitzer for fiction and I can absolutely see why. One of those books that has you wanting to get on the train to work just so you can carry on with it. Very highly recommended 
    Read this a couple of months back. It was gripping as you say, and not bad, similar to - but not as good as - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which is set in similar territory, and I would also recommend.
  • Options
    How to be a footballer - Peter  Crouch's autobiography. Nothing outrageous, as expected from footballer's memoirs, but a lot of self depreciating humour and digs at footballers life styles in general. Some laugh out loud moments too.   
  • Options

I'm due to start 'Alone in Berlin' by Hans Fallada, about the anti-Nazi resistance in Berlin during WW2.

Sounds like there's some cat and mouse spy action in it, politics and melancholy so it should be a decent mix.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    RedPanda said:

I'm due to start 'Alone in Berlin' by Hans Fallada, about the anti-Nazi resistance in Berlin during WW2.

Sounds like there's some cat and mouse spy action in it, politics and melancholy so it should be a decent mix.

Great book! I loved it.

Hans Fallada had a crazy life by the way...! 

A severe road accident in 1909 (age 16)—he was run over by a horse-drawn cart, then kicked in the face by the horse—and the contraction of typhoid in 1910 (age 17) seem to mark a turning point in Fallada's life and his adolescent years were characterized by increasing isolation and self-doubt, and in addition, his lifelong drug problems were born of the pain-killing medications he was taking as the result of his injuries. These issues manifested themselves in multiple suicide attempts.

In 1911 he made a pact with a friend, Hanns Dietrich von Necker, to stage a duel to mask their suicides, feeling that the duel would be seen as more honorable. This was due to their emerging (homo-)sexuality, and the views of the society in which they lived - one which was becoming increasingly homophobic. Hence the two young men formed their suicide pact. However, because of both boys' inexperience with weapons, it was a bungled affair. Dietrich missed Fallada, but Fallada did not miss Dietrich, killing him. Fallada was so distraught that he picked up Dietrich's gun and shot himself in the chest, but somehow survived.[3] Nonetheless, the death of his friend ensured his status as an outcast from society.

Although he was found innocent of murder by way of insanity, from this point on he would serve multiple stints in mental institutions. 

• Options
    RedPanda said:

You might be interested in reading The Berlin Diary 1940-45
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ‘Identity Crisis’ by Ben Elton is a great read. Brilliant observational satire based on the events of the last few years. From political sloganism, fake news culture, social media exploitation of the masses and gender extremes it is all cleverly covered against the background of a murder mystery. Very funny if not a bit worrisome the way things are going these days.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Really great book. 

• Options
    Excuse the 'prologue' .. I've come down to London a few days before the Stoke game to get a bit of museum, art gallery, possibly musical culture on one of my increasingly rare visits to the smoke.
    My knee has been giving me jip for a few weeks, an old rugby injury. Getting outta the shower this morning it 'went' again, hurts like f&*%k when I walk and so I won't be doing too much cultural wandering about on foot for a couple of days.
    So, my hotel is a short long jump from the Bromley 'Glades', I know some say Brommers is Kent and not London, so mind the gap if you can spot it.

Hopped over to the excellent 'Waterstones' as I came sarf bookless and picked up two interesting looking tomes, having managed to avoid spending a couple of hundred as the choice is so terrific and book addiction is one of my few remaining vices.

One fiction .. 'Babylon Berlin' by Volker Kutscher, the 'German Philip Kerr' and one which could be faction, fiction, or truth .. 'House of Trump, House of Putin' by Craig Unger. I shall find a nice coffee house not too far away and spend tomorrow at least having a butchers at these two
  • Options
    I’ve just Googled Babylon Berlin and it’s also  a tv Series. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    RedPanda said:

Really great book. 

Seconded.

I've just finished My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. It took a while to get into the main theme, but is an excellent novel. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve just Googled Babylon Berlin and it’s also  a tv Series. 
    there were 5 different Kutscher books on display, all relating to the TV series. Not having read him before and skimming through the first in the series, 'Babylon Berlin' I bought it because it looks OK and to compare with Kerr's books . I suspect the TV series has taken all the plots from the five books and produced a mish mash, rather as TV did with the Alan Furst books a few years back. That worked out pretty well.
  • Options
    Indulging in a few of my favourite modern writers at the moment. Just finished Pompeii by Robert Harris Not one of his best but very enjoyable as always. 

Two thirds of the way through Shepherd's Hut by Tim Winton. Very impressive and evocative story of a teenager running away from home and surviving in the Australian bush.

Just started John Le Carre - the Secret Pilgrim. I've never been disappointed in a le Carre. One of the very best English writers of the post-war era and probably the most underrated. How he has not won a Booker is an absolute mystery to me. 

In the KIndle queue: 

The Ninth Rain - Jen WIlliams
    Shadow of the Wind - Carols Riuz Zafon
    Nemesis - Max Hastings
    Abide by me - Elizabeth Strout
    Where Eagles Dare - Alistair MacLean
    My Sister the Serial Killer - Oyinkan Braithwaite
    History of Rome in Seven Sackings - Matthew Kneale
    Machines like me - Ian McEwan
    Absalom! Absaolm! - WIlliam Faulkneer
    In our mad and furious city - Guy Gunaratne

Should get me through the summer, but always ready to take recommendations. I'll read pretty much anything provided it's well-written. 

• Options
    Just finished Anne Tyler ‘s Clock Dance. She writes superbly and at 77 years old, it’s remarkable how she can churn out such good books time after time.

Also just finished Penelope Lively’s Heat Wave which was also excellent and very evocative considering the current weather situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Factory Man by Beth Macey who tells the story of a furniture maker in Viriginia who fights against the effects of globalization ( in his case Chinese imports and the loss of manufacturing jobs in his town ). There was one comment made by a Missisipee factory owner, who had ploughed antidumping money from the government back into his factory to buy machinery, that stood out for me  “the real value in manufacturing is creating a community where cash flows. If Americans only realized what’s taken place they wouldn’t buy anything from Walmart ever again.”
  • Options
    Any posters like the Neal Stephenson books? I’ve been through the Trilogy; Quicksilver, The Confusion and the System of the World. A great read but took years. I’m still reading Cryto(?) of which I dip into know and again on my Kindle. I prefer books but his novels are massive tomes in terms of written text and I find the font size too small which makes his books difficult to read. Hence the Kindle. 
    i just looked through the Guardian review and notice he has just published a book named: Fall or, Dodge in Hell. It has a good review. This book follows on from Reamde. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guardian review 3rd Augent
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Any posters like the Neal Stephenson books? I’ve been through the Trilogy; Quicksilver, The Confusion and the System of the World. A great read but took years. I’m still reading Cryto(?) of which I dip into know and again on my Kindle. I prefer books but his novels are massive tomes in terms of written text and I find the font size too small which makes his books difficult to read. Hence the Kindle. 
    i just looked through the Guardian review and notice he has just published a book named: Fall or, Dodge in Hell. It has a good review. This book follows on from Reamde. 
    I really like Neal Stephenson's earlier books - Snow Crash, Diamond Age and the Baroque Cycle are brilliant. He seems to have become a bloated and scattergun recently but I did like Readme so will have a look a this one. 
  • Options
    Nick Spalding's Checking Out.

Slightly reluctant to start this book as I knew it followed the exploits of a successful young man who'd received a terminal health diagnosis.  I'm not overly sensitive, but not a subject I want to dwell on. 

Yes, there are a few sad, thought provoking moments in this book, but in the main it is very, very, funny.  I think I could read this book again in the distant future ... providing I haven't checked out already. 

• Options
    Normandy '44 .. James Holland .. easy to read, big, fat and comprehensive history of the lead up to, the invasion of and subsequent struggles to maintain a large foothold in northern France. A must read for any 'student' of military history.  
  • Options
    The Devil's Star - Jo Nesbo. As usual for me - a cop thriller. Set in Oslo, quite a complex plot but well written - very occasionally you can tell that translating from the original Norwegian has proved difficult, but it takes nothing away from the storyline. Grabs the attention from the outset, a good read.    
  • Options
    For the first time, I’ve read on of Ian Rankin‘s novels; Saints of the Shadow Bible which i picked up from Kilburn station‘s library. I’m not normally into cop thrillers but I thought he is a good writer and enjoyed reading this book. Quite amusing in parts especially the Scottish humour.  
  • Options
    I have read the lot, in order @Solidgone - you can see his writing improving over the first three, then after that he's found his mojo and the quality and imagination remain constantly high. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Solidgone said:
    I really like Neal Stephenson's earlier books - Snow Crash, Diamond Age and the Baroque Cycle are brilliant. He seems to have become a bloated and scattergun recently but I did like Readme so will have a look a this one. 
    Anathem is excellent and Seven Eves is also very good
  • Options
    Started Murakami's The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and really enjoying it so far. Second one I've read of his and he is such a unique writer with a dreamlike quality to his work. Imagine I'll be wrapped up in this for a good few weeks.
    Have read most Murakami and that’s one of his best!
  • Options
    A New Earth: Create a Better Life by Eckhart Tolle.  Have read The Power of Now.  This is an interesting read.