Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Shrew said:

Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster, one of my favourite writers, he finds a lot of heart and tenderness in some very messed up characters and gives a strong portrayal of a human but screwed up America.

Read that last year while staying in Brooklyn. Lovely story. I have 4 3 2 1 lined up on the kindle
  • The Patrick Melrose novels. I'm a bit underwhelmed.
  • I had never read the Philip Kerr, Bernie Gunther series of books, until recommended here ages ago! Now, having read and thoroughly enjoyed all of the series, and after the unfortunate passing of Kerr earlier this year, there will be no new ones! I wondered if anyone can recommend similar type authors that they have enjoyed. Kerr managed so well to weave the crimes that Bernie had to solve with the true events and history of Nazi Germany.
    Any recommendations be appreciated.

Sam Eastland 'Pekkala' books recommended. Also Hans Helmut Kirsch, and the also sadly deceased Micharl Dibdin's Aerilio Zen and Michael Connelley's Harry Bosch.
    Thanks, lots to keep me busy now.
  • I really liked Gridiron by Philip Kerr in his stand alone books, I agree the Bernie Gunter series brilliant, was not so keen on the football thrillers

agreed .. Gridiron is one example of his versatility .. I recall one 'Gridiron' joke concerning Rock Hudson .. if an author included that kind of joke nowadays, he'd never get published ((:>) .. the football books seem written in haste .. still quite innovative though

ALSO... I see from wiki that 'Greeks Bearing Gifts' will not be his last published book .. there will be a 'Gunther' out next year called 'Metropolis'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Kerr
  • I had never read the Philip Kerr, Bernie Gunther series of books, until recommended here ages ago! Now, having read and thoroughly enjoyed all of the series, and after the unfortunate passing of Kerr earlier this year, there will be no new ones! I wondered if anyone can recommend similar type authors that they have enjoyed. Kerr managed so well to weave the crimes that Bernie had to solve with the true events and history of Nazi Germany.
    Any recommendations be appreciated.

Sam Eastland 'Pekkala' books recommended. Also Hans Helmut Kirsch, and the also sadly deceased Micharl Dibdin's Aerilio Zen and Michael Connelley's Harry Bosch.
    Thanks, lots to keep me busy now.
    Love Bosch and Zen. Add Peter James's Roy Grace and Mark Billingham's Tom Thorne to those two as well.

• I really liked Gridiron by Philip Kerr in his stand alone books, I agree the Bernie Gunter series brilliant, was not so keen on the football thrillers

agreed .. Gridiron is one example of his versatility .. I recall one 'Gridiron' joke concerning Rock Hudson .. if an author included that kind of joke nowadays, he'd never get published ((:>) .. the football books seem written in haste .. still quite innovative though

ALSO... I see from wiki that 'Greeks Bearing Gifts' will not be his last published book .. there will be a 'Gunther' out next year called 'Metropolis'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Kerr
    Oh brilliant! I missed that news about 'Metropolis'. Lots of suggestions, thanks to all, to keep me busy until published.
  • Just finished Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory. The story of a Catholic priest during communist rule in 1930s Mexico. A great classic.

Meanwhile, I'm working through Fictions, a collection of short stories by Jorge Luis Borges. Some real mind bending stuff there.

Next up is Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.
  • edited August 2018
    re-reading after about 15 years 'Border Snakes' by the late, great James Crumley, a 'hard boiled crime novel' master
  • Reckless by Andrew Gross. Fictional adventure mystery set around the time of the global financial crisis suggesting that international terrorists, in conjunction with morally bankrupt billionaires and movers & shakers, could artificially create a financial meltdown to feather their own nests or to raise capital for their terrorist activities. Clever idea and written in a way that makes it easy to understand for a financial simpleton like me...
  • I've almost finished "Sarum" by Edward Rutherford - all 1,400 pages - a story exploring "the whole sweep of British civilisation from before recorded time to the present". It's a great read and exciting too following the destinies of four families and centred in the last four centuries around the city of Salisbury. Thoroughly recommended although it was first published in 1987, might not be available.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've almost finished "Sarum" by Edward Rutherford - all 1,400 pages - a story exploring "the whole sweep of British civilisation from before recorded time to the present". It's a great read and exciting too following the destinies of four families and centred in the last four centuries around the city of Salisbury. Thoroughly recommended although it was first published in 1987, might not be available.

Rutherford’s a great writer, try his other books.
  • So this year (according to my Kindle)...

Philip Kerr passed away just as I was finishing "Prussian Blue". Gutted, felt like an old friend had passed away.

Read and enjoyed 2 x Robert Harris, "Conclave" and especially "Munich".

"If only they didn't speak English" is by Jon Sopel, the BBC's US chief reporter. Really excellent portrait of Trump's America while living there. Good to follow on Twitter too.

I have always enjoyed Henry Porter's novels too. But "Firefly" is possibly his best, set in the refugee crisis, had me in a vice-like grip as it raced across the southern Balkans.

For some reason I decided to try a couple of the many books about aviation. "Skyfaring; A journey with a Pilot" , by Mark Vanhoenacker, was not what I expected at all, and all the better for it. It's actually about why he, a commercial passenger jet pilot, loves every minute of his job. Often poetic, it has made me see and feel about flying quite differently.

And then I have read or am reading two deeply unsettling books in the last weeks. The first is a novel. "Star of the North" by D.B. John. It is set in North Korea. It is an extraordinary insight, and what is especially troubling is the author's notes at the end which he urges only to be read after finishing the book as it reveals the true stories on which the novel is based, as well as how he has researched this terrifying picture of what it really is like there. Trump, you muppet, this guy is not your mate!

And finally I am half way through an equally unsettling factual investigation into the death of Dr David Kelly by a former Mail journalist, Miles Goslett, "An inconvenient Death". I always thought this stank to high heaven. I don't yet know where the author is taking this, but it is already clear that if even half of his research is accurate, this was not suicide. In which case WTF was it, and why have we allowed this to happen and have no one held to account?
  • stonemuse said:

I've almost finished "Sarum" by Edward Rutherford - all 1,400 pages - a story exploring "the whole sweep of British civilisation from before recorded time to the present". It's a great read and exciting too following the destinies of four families and centred in the last four centuries around the city of Salisbury. Thoroughly recommended although it was first published in 1987, might not be available.

Thanks for that stonemuse. I'll have a look out. Are all his books that long by the way and historically based? Sarum is a tremendous read - I'm just past the Battle of Trafalgar which he really brings to life.

• stonemuse said:

I've almost finished "Sarum" by Edward Rutherford - all 1,400 pages - a story exploring "the whole sweep of British civilisation from before recorded time to the present". It's a great read and exciting too following the destinies of four families and centred in the last four centuries around the city of Salisbury. Thoroughly recommended although it was first published in 1987, might not be available.

Thanks for that stonemuse. I'll have a look out. Are all his books that long by the way and historically based? Sarum is a tremendous read - I'm just past the Battle of Trafalgar which he really brings to life.

I've read London which is about 1000 pages. Worth reading though.
  • stonemuse said:

Not read Sarum but his other books all follow the same theme. I've read the ones on London, New York and Paris. New York was the best I think.
  • stonemuse said:

Yes, similar approaches with London, New York, Ireland/Dublin, and one close to Sarum in the New Forest.

Haven’t read the ones on Paris and Russia.
  • When You Disappeared by John Marrs.

Got this on my kindle for a quid from Amazon. Simon leaves his wife Catherine, there is seemingly no rhyme or reason, he just leaves. The book follows his journey and his deeply troubled mind and her traumas and her life as she rebuilds. Along the way there are some twists and turns to say the least. However the big reveal occurs in the closing chapters, when Simon turns up on Catherine's doorstep quite unannounced, some 25 years later.

Must admit there was a point where I just wanted the author to get on with it and end the story, but by the end I realised that all those little details were necessary for the story and it's dramatic conclusion. Yeah, I enjoyed it.

Twelve Years A Slave by Solomon Northup.

Got this on my kindle for a quid (as well) ... and that's where it sat for over a year as I didn't much fancy it. I hadn't seen the film, but I kind of presumed to know the story would be a grim read of servitude and suffering. To a degree it was, but it was also much more than that. The author gives a factual account of his story. He uses no vitriolic language to scream about the injustice of his situation, but relates to the reader in a calm, even manner, it is left to the reader to scream about the injustice of his situation. A really interesting read, I'm glad I took the plunge.
  • Back in ‘95 or ‘96 I read Garry Nelson’s excellent (prize winning) Left Foot Forward. I’m sure many of you will have read it, but If not I’d highly recommend it.
    During the Amsterdam charity bike ride he told me about the follow up ‘Left Foot in the Grave’. I’m a third of the way through it, and really enjoying it. It’s about the end of his career at Charlton and his time spent Coaching/assistant managing Torquay Utd.
    An eye opener, as well as being hilarious at times.

Both available cheaply on eBay.

1995 review of Left Foot Forward:
    “AT 34, the Charlton Athletic forward Garry Nelson is of an age when, he says, footballers might joke about what they are going to do when they retire, but "it's just masking the turmoil that's going on within".

In facing up to this question himself, Nelson has gone some of the way to answering it with the publication of Left Foot Forward (Headline), his diary of the 1994-95 season, in which, with vividness and honesty, he portrays life as an ageing pro in an industry which looks very different from the inside of the changing-room than it does from a nice seat behind the goal. One of the surprise hits of 1995's crop of sporting literature, Left Foot Forward is on the short list of six for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award, the winner of which will be announced on Wednesday.”
  • JamesSeed said:

Back in ‘95 or ‘96 I read Garry Nelson’s excellent (prize winning) Left Foot Forward. I’m sure many of you will have read it, but If not I’d highly recommend it.
    During the Amsterdam charity bike ride he told me about the follow up ‘Left Foot in the Grave’. I’m a third of the way through it, and really enjoying it. It’s about the end of his career at Charlton and his time spent Coaching/assistant managing Torquay Utd.

“AT 34, the Charlton Athletic forward Garry Nelson is of an age when, he says, footballers might joke about what they are going to do when they retire, but "it's just masking the turmoil that's going on within".

In facing up to this question himself, Nelson has gone some of the way to answering it with the publication of Left Foot Forward (Headline), his diary of the 1994-95 season, in which, with vividness and honesty, he portrays life as an ageing pro in an industry which looks very different from the inside of the changing-room than it does from a nice seat behind the goal. One of the surprise hits of 1995's crop of sporting literature, Left Foot Forward is on the short list of six for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award, the winner of which will be announced on Wednesday.”

Both excellent books as you say.
  • LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

Back in ‘95 or ‘96 I read Garry Nelson’s excellent (prize winning) Left Foot Forward. I’m sure many of you will have read it, but If not I’d highly recommend it.

Both excellent books as you say.
    Agreed
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Yes, similar approaches with London, New York, Ireland/Dublin, and one close to Sarum in the New Forest.

Haven’t read the ones on Paris and Russia.
    hi stonemuse, I bought New York today. So pleased you pointed me in this direction. The guy at the counter was very enthusiastic, London being his favourite, New York second. Ireland was very good too, in two volumes. Apparently Ruthers has just finished a book on China, but it will not be released until March.
  • Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor, one of my favourite writers. Halfway through, completely absorbing.
  • John Niven has the sequel to kill your friends coming out soon. Stelfox is a brilliantly horrible character, if you haven't read the first one then you should. It's set in the mid to late 90s in the music industry as the protagonist seeks out the next big thing, not because he has any interest in music but because of the hope that uncovering a big hit will further fuel his gluttonous journey up the ladder. There isn't much he wouldn't do to achieve this and as long as you park your morals you will have to put the book down a few times with watery, laughter bouts.

All John Nivens books apart from cold hands are worth spending a few quid on. His first 3. Kill your friends, the amateurs and the second coming are excellent stories and the sunshine coach company would make a good film with the right cast. I think all of his books have had chapters that have made me heave with laughter. Single White Male was a low light but I admire his writing style. Horrible, visceral and assuming a scottish character is involved it will be phonetically perfect and that adds to any dialogue
  • edited August 2018
    'The Mixer' by Michael Cox .. as the blurb on the cover states .. 'the story of Premier League tactics from route one to false nines' .. also gives some insight into the background of many players' and managers' personalities .. .. I M O a must for fans of the finer points of the game at the highest level .. 470+ pages great value at less than a fiver
  • American by Day by Derek B Miller, manages to surpass his debut Norwegian by Night. Not just a crime story but a clever dissection of things that are wrong with American society.
  • The Dead Will Arise - Nongqawuse and the Great Xhosa Cattle-Killing Movement of 1856-7 by J. B. Peires

A truly incredible tale... Looking forward to this
  • Reading a biography of Curtis Mayfield. The guy didn't like giving away writing credits. Johnny Pate, the arranger who Curtis had worked with from The Impressions days, wanted a co-writing credit on two instrumentals on the Superfly album. Everyone else involved said Pate had a point; he should have had at least a co-writing credit because the songs were built around the strings that he wrote and arranged. He didn't stand to make a whole lot of money from two filler tracks on a soundtrack album; it was a matter of principle. They ended up suing each other and never spoke again.
  • 'The Journeys End Battalion - The 9th East Surrey in the Great War' by Michael Lucas. This is the battalion in which R. C. Sherriff served - and his famous novel 'Journey's End' was based on his experiences with the battalion on the Western Front.
  • Birdman by Mo Hayder. Gruesome cop thriller/mystery set in Greenwich/Blackheath/Lewisham, a great read. The Addicks even get a brief mention. Very dark, not for the squeamish.
  • Birdman by Mo Hayder. Gruesome cop thriller/mystery set in Greenwich/Blackheath/Lewisham, a great read. The Addicks even get a brief mention. Very dark, not for the squeamish.

Agreed, great book