Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options

Just finished American Gods. I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman but this didn't quite grab me the same way his other comics and books have. However, when I'm finished with Warehouse 13 I'm sure I'll have a butcher's at the TV series.

I'm now re-reading Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks. It's nearly twenty years since I first read it and I'm pleased to say I've forgotten everything so it's like a new book.

I thought that was one of his later books and not as good as earlier Culture books. Have you tried Robert Jackson Bennett, 'City of' books?
  • Options
    AA, we were talking about Golden Hill by Francis Spufford
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Cheers, @McBobbin - I may have a read of Night Watch

Do. It's great
  • Options
    @AddicksAddict - it's 'On Golden Hill' by Francis Spufford
  • Options

Just finished American Gods. I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman but this didn't quite grab me the same way his other comics and books have. However, when I'm finished with Warehouse 13 I'm sure I'll have a butcher's at the TV series.

I'm now re-reading Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks. It's nearly twenty years since I first read it and I'm pleased to say I've forgotten everything so it's like a new book.

I thought that was one of his later books and not as good as earlier Culture books. Have you tried Robert Jackson Bennett, 'City of' books?
    @harveys_gardener Look to Windward is from 2000. I'll give the City of... books a look.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

@AddicksAddict - it's 'On Golden Hill' by Francis Spufford

@Blucher, thanks.
  • Options
    Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.

This novel is not a work of narrative nonfiction, but a biographical and historical fiction. It is an epic tale that recounts the life of 17 year old Pino Lella as he faces the horror of the Nazis in Italy and his personal heroic part in the war.

I’ve never really understood the role of Italy during the conflict, but through the narrative this book gives a sense of the time and place and the mess that existed there. From Mussolini and the Fascist regime, the Italian army, the partisans, resistance movement and the German army, who seemingly treated Italy like an occupied land.

I won’t spoil the story in case you decide to read it, or indeed later watch the film that is to be made of by Pascal Pictures starring Tom Holland. Save to say though, it is an incredible story which sometimes pushes the boundaries of belief. However, it is in my opinion well worth the effort. I’m not so sure that one could say it is well written, but the story is king here.
  • Options
    Belatedly picked up Kazuo Ishiguro's 'The Remains of the Day' after his Nobel win. Stunningly written and deserving of all of its acclaim. Had previously enjoyed 'Never Let Me Go' but I can see why this is seen as his masterpiece.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    'The Force' ... Don Winslow .. masterpiece of hardcore Noo Yawk nasty villains and even worse cops

'The Fall' ... John Lescroart .. masterpiece of San Francisco courtroom drama ..

America has so many brilliant fiction 'crime writers' who have more pertinent things to say about contemporary society than a shedload of social commentators, economists, politicians and sociologists

Recently read Nigel Benn's 'autobiography' .. probably the fault of his 'ghost' but for me, total disillusionment over a man I regarded as a decent guy and a boxing icon ..

Next up ? .. 'Munich' by Robert Harris and 'The Dry', Jane Harper's Ozzie outback crime story
  • Options
    My turn - Johan Cruyff
    Cruyff was a wonderful footballer. But this book in my opinion is dreadful, repetitive, lacking in self awareness and dull.

They say never meet your heroes, this book tarnishes my thoughts about Cruyff. I can only hope that if I had the pleasure of meeting either Brian Laudrup or Carl Leaburn I would not feel the same way as when I finished this book.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would recommend anything by American author Jackson Tippett McCrae if you can find them. I think he's only written four books, and Ive enjoyed them all immensely.
    'Katzenjammer: soon to be a major motion picture' (cunning title); The Bark of the Dogwood and Barring Some Unforeseen Accident, as well as a book of short stories called The Children's Corner which is not for children.
    Wry, funny, slightly absurd with dark undertones that are gradually revealed as the book progresses. I wish there were more.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I would recommend anything by American author Jackson Tippett McCrae if you can find them. I think he's only written four books, and Ive enjoyed them all immensely.
    'Katzenjammer: soon to be a major motion picture' (cunning title); The Bark of the Dogwood and Barring Some Unforeseen Accident, as well as a book of short stories called The Children's Corner which is not for children.
    Wry, funny, slightly absurd with dark undertones that are gradually revealed as the book progresses. I wish there were more.

What are his themes?

It’s funny or should I say not funny, whenever I read a review and it mentions, that the book’s funny, I never seem to laugh, maybe I don’t get the jokes?
  • Options

IdleHans said:

What are his themes?

It’s funny or should I say not funny, whenever I read a review and it mentions, that the book’s funny, I never seem to laugh, maybe I don’t get the jokes?
    Don’t worry I’ve just googled.
  • Options
    It will join the queue ... just arrived from Amazon ..

'The Book of Dust' .. Philip Pullman .. been a long time in the writing .. it will not gather too much dust on my 'to read' shelf
  • Options

'The Book of Dust' .. Philip Pullman .. been a long time in the writing .. it will not gather too much dust on my 'to read' shelf

Looking forward to that but wondering if I should re-read the trilogy first. It's been a while...

• Options
    Jints said:

Looking forward to that but wondering if I should re-read the trilogy first. It's been a while...

exactly what I will be doing
  • Options
    Katzenjammer at your recommendation @IdleHans, it better be good or else, a checkmate could be in the offing!
  • Options
    Only on chapter 10 but have laughed quite a few times, so a good start @IdleHans
  • Options
    Jeffrey Deaver - The Coffin Dancer. One of his Lincoln Rhyme (quadriplegic forensic investigator) series. Slow start but builds into a page turner.
  • Options

Only on chapter 10 but have laughed quite a few times, so a good start @IdleHans

Glad you like it. I may have another go at it myself as it's ages since I read it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've started Matthew Syed's Black box thinking

It's very heavy and slow going.

In recent weeks I've read John Niven's latest offering No Good Deed. Whilst it isn't his best work it was still suitably dark and humorous, one chapter in particular had me in tears of laughter and I think all of his books have at least one or two parts that provoke such a reaction from me.

I thoroughly suggest giving his books a try. Ignore Cold Hands, that's crap.

Start with Kill Your Friends and work through chronological order

Kill Your Friends
    The Amateurs
    The second coming
    Single White Male
    The Sunshine Cruise Company (possibly his funniest book consistently)
    No Good Deed
  • Options
    The Pale King - David Foster Wallace.

Not finding it a particular easy read but writing about the IRS probably wouldn’t be but a few good laughs, so I’ll continue.
  • Options
    Is that the one he didn't finish and was pieced together after his suicide?

• Options
    Lincoln rhyme - quadriplegic forensic investigator sounds like a rubbish sequel to the film Remo, Unarmed and Dangerous
  • Options

The Pale King - David Foster Wallace.

Not finding it a particular easy read but writing about the IRS probably wouldn’t be but a few good laughs, so I’ll continue.

I agree it isnt a light read, but I found it rewarded persistence. And from memory it gets funnier as the book progresses. Good luck with it!
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I agree it isnt a light read, but I found it rewarded persistence. And from memory it gets funnier as the book progresses. Good luck with it!

Actually he has already made a relevant point to me, in regard to a recent thread I posted, “Do we fear silence?”

In chapter 9, Author’s Forward, where he breaks away from the story to talk directly to the reader and explain how he came to work for the IRS.

Within the chapter he talks about “the pain of dullness” and how most of us spend nearly all our time and energy trying to distract ourselves from feeling, or at least feeling directly or with our full attention.

He then goes on about “Muzak” in dull and tedious places and how we have TV in waiting rooms, supermarkets, checkouts, airports,in the back seats of cars and along with, iPods and cell phones attached to our heads!

Then he says and I quote “This terror of silence with nothing diverting to do. I can’t think anyone really believes that today’s so-called ‘information society’ is just about information. Everyone knows it’s about something else, way down.”

So for that alone, I change my previous comment about it being difficult to read because he’s already made a profound connection with me, what more can an author do and I’m only bout a 1/5 of the way through,

So in truth it’s a bloody brilliant book.
  • Options
    Just finished Ravenspur, the last book in the War of the Roses series by Conn Iggulden. I thought this book was the best of the lot leading up to the Battle of Bosworth. I would thoroughly recommend this series for anyone who likes authentic Historical Fiction.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Just finished Ravenspur, the last book in the War of the Roses series by Conn Iggulden. I thought this book was the best of the lot leading up to the Battle of Bosworth. I would thoroughly recommend this series for anyone who likes authentic Historical Fiction.

Have read the other three but havent got round to Ravenspur - Really dont know why either as is a great series.

Iggulden has moved on to the same era that Bernard Cornwall is in with the Vikings so keep meaning to read that too
  • Options
    Candlemoth by R.J. Ellory. Not over long but very wordy and descriptive story of the relationship between two American friends, one black one white, after the murder of the black one. Set before and during the Vietnam war and the campaign to end segregation. Goes on a bit occasionally, and has the most obvious twist since Chubby Checker last took the stage, but I am glad I have read it.