Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

what is the unsafest thing you done at work

edited May 2008 in Not Sports Related
mine was underpinning 4 holes and not concreting them leaving them for the weekend on morden road in blackheath,when i came back monday they had collapsed,the owners had to leave the house while we were in there and one weekend they came in on saturday to check on the house in the eve to see me and my downham chums making fry ups in there kitchen.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]mine was underpinning 4 holes and not concreting them leaving them for the weekend on morden road in blackheath,when i came back monday they had collapsed,the owners had to leave the house while we were in there and one weekend they came in on saturday to check on the house in the eve to see me and my downham chums making fry ups in there kitchen.

Was this you then Nolly?

Big hole
  • he he
  • A few days after the Bishopsgate bomb (lost at Millwall that day) a few of us had to go to our offices on 16th floor of Natwest Tower to get stuff out of the safes. As jokey 22 year olds are want to do, we were daring eachother to see who would lean furthest out of the windows. About 20 minutes later the thick wedge of a shattered window that we were holding on to, just dropped out of the window frame and down a couple hundred feet. We all looked at eachother and and decided we had had enough fun.
  • Spending 3 weeks in Pakistan during the red mosque siege in july last year, staying in a nice hotel which the foreign office recommended but it was less than a mile away from the troubles. so lying in bed listening to the bullets and explosions. I am not in that job any longer, partly due to this, decided life was too short and precious to take unnecessary risks!
  • Mate as an apprentice in a power station just as the H+S at Work act came in far to many to mention ! one classic was two guys hold ing my legs as i was suspended over the Thames unbolting an electrical box i was upside down at time as well !! Or going into a flooded basement to turn a valve off, it was 10/15 feet deep and i cant swim !!
  • Far too many to mention and as I still work for the same firm as the father-in-law of someone on this thread who is in direct charge of some of my old mates my stories of dangerous things at work will be for pub talk only!

There are plenty though!!!
  • gh pisses on the rest at mo,fuck me!
  • This was a recent prat thing I did.
    Trying to clean up a stainless steel tank I mixed sulphuric acid and nitric acid together. I was told this would remove weld tarnish. The acids were a little on the concentrated side. What I actually got was a room filled with a yellow fog that is pretty nasty to your eyes and respiratory bits.

A friend of mine used chloroform in a confined area, he had 3 weeks off after that.
  • edited May 2008
    How about:

Plunging your hand into a tank full of live lobsters - most of which hadn't had their claws banded - and almost having various tendons, ligaments and fingers severed - still got a hand like a noughts and crosses boards from the scars

or: Moving a 42U server rack by tilt walking it corner by corner without checking that the power was unplugged first (it wasn't) - chopped through the cable, sent a massive shock through the rack, my hands and chest, knocking me back about five feet which, as it turns out was a blessing, otherwise the rack would have landed on my head as I fell down

or: Not reading the label on a bottle properly and, having never cleaned a drain with it before, mixing up a big ol' bucket of spirit of salts in my basement and inhaling a goodly dose of the fumes which almost knocked me the **** out. Spent the next 45 minutes intermittently passing out, talking gibberish to my missus and throwing up...
  • you go ahead leroy,the third one done that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking at nudey websites while my boss was out of the office. Do I win?
  • look away ladies

A traveller once told me a great story about ten years ago. For some reason, he had this great big sword, and once on a building job he dared the young un on the firm that if the kid stood still on the ground with the sword outstretched, he could perch out the 1st floor window and 'drop one' accurately onto said sword. So the kid was standing outside with the sword out and the deed was done. And he did manage to catch it on the sword, but hadn't given any thought to the 'splatter effect' once it landed.

The fella tells the story brilliantly and i'm still chuckling again now !!
  • As a pup in The Power u got all the sh*t jobs. Changing the lights on a jetty crane jib. I asked them if they could move it round over solid land, the answer was very anglo saxon! So you climbed the jib and then hooked your leg through the rungs of the frame as you lent out and replaced the bulb. The jib of course is pointing out over the river and your 60+feet in the air! If you fall (no safety belts) then you where straight in the drink.

Pulling cables through tunnels full of mud and filth that aint moved for 100 years when only rats and feral cats to keep you company ! The cats where the most lethal looking things i have ever seen ! hairless and fearless.Always carried two torches, it wasnt a place to be in the dark !! Im sure that James Herbert and Stephen King wrote stories about that place.
  • blimey GH no wonder you're so angry - been tortured in your young days.

No wonder H&S at work act was brought in.

my old man worked on the Thames Barrier as conrecte forman and by god he's told some stories of accidents that happened there.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]As a pup in The Power u got all the sh*t jobs. Changing the lights on a jetty crane jib. I asked them if they could move it round over solid land, the answer was very anglo saxon! So you climbed the jib and then hooked your leg through the rungs of the frame as you lent out and replaced the bulb. The jib of course is pointing out over the river and your 60+feet in the air! If you fall (no safety belts) then you where straight in the drink.

Pulling cables through tunnels full of mud and filth that aint moved for 100 years when only rats and feral cats to keep you company ! The cats where the most lethal looking things i have ever seen ! hairless and fearless.Always carried two torches, it wasnt a place to be in the dark !! Im sure that James Herbert and Stephen King wrote stories about that place.

I hope you get paid well mate
  • Wellpaid !! as an apprentice haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i am now mate, but i only get me hands dirty wheni fall over pi55ed or inme garden !
  • As a part time firefighter I have done a few things over the last 15 years that might be considered dangerous.
    A few that will always stick in my mind.
    1. One of my first Breathing Apparatus wears was in a 3 storey terraced house and due to the nature of the property we had to disconnect to go up the stairs (a bit of a no no but needs must), we had extinguished the blaze on the first and ground floors and my partner was going up the stairs to the top floor while I fed the hose up to him. As he cleared the top of the stairs and I was ready to follow him I heard this clicking noise and noticed a glow in my peripheral vision. The whole first floor had reignited and so I had to yank hard on the hose to attract my buddies attention, so he could give the fast approaching flames a dose. Funny thing is was that my boots melted to the wooden floor and it took both of us to get me moving again.
    the hottest fire i have been in by a long way.

2. New Year's Eve about five years ago we were called to a fire in a carp nursery, where they bred the fish in warehouses in huge vats. We had no idea what was in the building but me and the same firefighter were dispatched to enter the property and fight the fire that was fast catching hold. We made initial entry but due lack of visibilty could not make any real progress, the whole place was a like an overworked sauna. So Tony made the decision that we should leave and go back around the front to tell Colin (our sub officer) that entry was a no go. Just after we shut the door there was a huge bang and moments later Colin was hugging us, the whole place had flashed over and if we had delayed a moment longer we could have been statistics.

3. My worst experience was aiding the Ambulance service with a 40 stone plus fat woman who had fallen out of bed. We had to lift her back onto the bed and to get her into a sitting position otherwise her own weight crushed her lungs! the stench and sounds emanating from her made one of our lot throw up in her bedroom. Later we were called back as the stress had given her over worked heart one final jolt and we had to help the undertakers carry her to the hearse. It took nine men to carry her and their volvo was probably not road legal after it carried her bulk!
  • When I'd just started my job (Railway Signalling Engineer) I was out with a few senior men attending a points failure about 3am on a bend just outside the mouth of Primrose Hill tunnel. We'd been working away for around 2 hours repairing the points under a block agreed with the signaller which went fine. Work completed happy days everyone moves clear. The team leader gave up the block and I noticed a tool bag sitting in the 4 foot (basically inbetween the two running rails) which I turned back to grab, picked up the bag and heard the horn of a train charging towards me about 70mph I litterally dived out the way quicker than I've ever moved in my life. Needless to say I don't want to go through that again.

Plenty of stories from the old boys about workers losing arms etc. Not nice!

Still think GH is the maddest of the lot...
  • Shagged the office bike bareback
  • Climbing the Insulator stacks was a good one. They are huge disks and ur god knows how high in the air.They are have a very smooth surface and are at an angel. You put both feet on a disc, hold the disc in front of you with ur left hand and then swing ur safety belt round the disc with ur right hand.You then have to catch the belt as it comes round the disc with ur left hand. Which means you aint holding on at all and you have no safety belt ! Once you have the belt hooked you then walk up a few discs and do it all again. In the years i did it i dont remember anyone falling but alot refused to do it. Guess they use towers or mobile plateforms now.

Guess it was all " character building" ! wonder if i can claim Post Dramatic Stress Disorder ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I once got really angry and threw my mouse across my desk.........Does that count? ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Climbing the Insulator stacks was a good one. They are huge disks and ur god knows how high in the air.They are have a very smooth surface and are at an angel. You put both feet on a disc, hold the disc in front of you with ur left hand and then swing ur safety belt round the disc with ur right hand.You then have to catch the belt as it comes round the disc with ur left hand. Which means you aint holding on at all and you have no safety belt ! Once you have the belt hooked you then walk up a few discs and do it all again. In the years i did it i dont remember anyone falling but alot refused to do it. Guess they use towers or mobile plateforms now.

Guess it was all " character building" ! wonder if i can claim Post Dramatic Stress Disorder ?

You should've quit and become a stunt double or something. These blokes hanging off cranes in James Bond films aren't a patch on you
  • I once ripped the phone off me desk and threw it at one of the engineers. i still think it was the first mobile phone.