Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Jewell....

Falls into the elite branch of respected managers, that when a club is looking for a new manager, their fans normally push for him.

Can't help but think that Derby are now five times worse than when he first took charge. Made absolutely no iota of difference there, has quite possibly the worst managerial record anyone has ever had, and slags off the players weekly in the press.

I can't for the life of me see Derby challenging next year. I think they are more likely to go down than go up.

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    I thought it was brilliant when he said:

"the fans were singing "you're not fit to wear the shirt"", and they were right - they're not. And a lot of them will never play for Derby again"

I can also see them going into freefall but they do have the big American backers behind them.

As an aside:

Jewell also confirmed that Derby had accepted a bid for Wales striker Rob Earnshaw, who was left out of the 16-man squad, saying: "We have had an offer from a club that we have accepted. Whether it happens or not, I don't know, but that was the reason Rob was left out of the squad today."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Falls into the elite branch of respected managers, that when a club is looking for a new manager, their fans normally push for him.

Can't help but think that Derby are now five times worse than when he first took charge. Made absolutely no iota of difference there, has quite possibly the worst managerial record anyone has ever had, and slags off the players weekly in the press.

I can't for the life of me see Derby challenging next year. I think they are more likely to go down than go up.

Difficult one AFKA, he was given a really poor side that was very lucky to get promoted really. He obviously made it clear that a load of them were going to be moved on anyway so the morale there would have been very low. I reckon they'll struggle next year but the year after will start coming good again.
    I have got a good mate who was very friendly with Jewell when he was boss at Bradford and he says he is a top bloke.
  • Options
    Jewell took over in autumn last year when Billy Davies got the tin-tack, it looked a hospital pass of a job then and so it proved.
  • Options
    Typical whinging scouser....
    ;-)

I guess we will be linked with Earnshaw again....big sigh
  • Options
    The fat ugly dogging Scouser has got away with murder. Ok Derby looked doomed when he took over, but then when Megson took over at Bolton they were below Derby!
    He has made no effort to keep Derby up. Look at Fulham, 3 weeks ago at half-time they were down when losing to ManCity. They came back and won 3-2.
    Of course Derby were in the shite when Jewell came in but he never ever gave any hint that they would not give up until it was mathematically impossible etc. He just said they were preparing for next season before Christmas.
    Absolutely pathetic attitude and his slagging off of players from day one has not endeared him to the fans.
    This Jewel is no diamond. He's more Cubic Zirconia.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The fat ugly dogging Scouser has got away with murder. Ok Derby looked doomed when he took over, but then when Megson took over at Bolton they were below Derby!
    He has made no effort to keep Derby up. Look at Fulham, 3 weeks ago at half-time they were down when losing to ManCity. They came back and won 3-2.
    Of course Derby were in the shite when Jewell came in but he never ever gave any hint that they would not give up until it was mathematically impossible etc. He just said they were preparing for next season before Christmas.
    Absolutely pathetic attitude and his slagging off of players from day one has not endeared him to the fans.

Great points, Megson has done fantastically well at Bolton
  • Options
    Although, to be fair, Megson inherited far more quality of Premiership & International experienced players, on a much bigger budget.

Jewell inherited a side of basically championship players who knew they weren't good enough - and most of the budget had been spent already in the summer transfer window,

So IMHO, not really a fair comparison.

I don't agree with rubbishing your own players in public though. That achieves nothing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    I don't agree with rubbishing your own players in public though. That achieves nothing.

Careful, Oggy, you're dangerously close to slagging our own leader there ;-)

Seemed unfair at the time the way Derby booted Billy Davies out, but as with our Dowie situation, there was maybe more going on behind the scenes to merit a change than most realised.

Jewell is a pretty good wheeler and dealer - I wouldn't understimate Derby next year.
  • Options
    derby will finish higher than 11th next season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Jewell took over in autumn last year when Billy Davies got the tin-tack, it looked a hospital pass of a job then and so it proved.

Didn't Jewell bring a load of players in, maybe not enough to keep them up but surely enough to give a better account for themselves, Savage was one, but I thought there were a few others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They were the most active in the transfer window, bringing in 8 players:

Roy Carroll
    Alan Stubbs
    Tito Villa £2m
    Robbie Savage
    Laurant Robert
    Hossam Ghaly
    Mile Sterjovski
  • Options
    Didn't they sign Danny Mills as well
  • Options
    yep, left him off !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The fat ugly dogging Scouser has got away with murder. Ok Derby looked doomed when he took over, but then when Megson took over at Bolton they were below Derby!

Very unfair on Jewell. As stated above Bolton have genuine quality in Anelka (for a while) Davies, Nolan, Campo, Djiouf, Samuel, Hunt and Jaaskelainen so should never have been in that position and had the class to get out. Derby gave Jewell a shower of shite and from the players that AFKA listed, Christ, how many of them would get in OUR team let alone play in the Premiership?
  • Options
    I'm expecting Derby to be strong next season - after all, Jewell has been planning for it since about the end of December.
  • Options
    Surely before taking the job he would of done a full assessment of the squad he had available to him ?

Looks to me like he had his break, then jumped at the first thing that come available.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Falls into the elite branch of respected managers, that when a club is looking for a new manager, their fans normally push for him.

Let me say firstly that I like Jewell and I think he's a decent manager. His record at Derby though makes Dear Uncle Les look like Sir Alex Fergusson. Why is this? Yes he inherited a team short on talent and shorter on confidence but how could he fail to have had any impact.

I think you have to look at his temperament and motivational attitude plus the job he has been given. He doesn't appear to have theSuper KK or Pards ploy of talking things up. I think he a no nonsense bluff scouser who doesn't suffer fools gladly. He's come in knowing they had no realistic chance of survival, told the players they are playing for new contracts and hoped that just might get them started. It ain't worked but it doesn't make him a bad manager though.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Surely before taking the job he would of done a full assessment of the squad he had available to him ?

Looks to me like he had his break, then jumped at the first thing that come available.[/quote]

It looked a curious job to take in the first place, struggling, a weak squad, a popular manager just sacked, I'm sure he could have waited a while longer and a better job would have surfaced. I guess the money was good, and I wonder thinking back to his sex video, if he took the job because he had debts to pay to his ex-wife/family rather than for footballing reasons and a desire to dig Derby out of a hole. From his comments he has hardly been in love with the club, slagging everybody off from the players down.
  • Options
    Did he blame the tea lady?
  • Options
    Bump,

Over 3 months since i started this thread and Derby are now at 35 games without a win and counting.

Strong calls for Jewell to be sacked with the worst ever record in football management. Barnsley away on Sat is seen as make or break.

September 17th 2007 was the last time Derby won a league game. That is a very long time to go. I fear that had that been us, some of our posters may of taken their lives by now !

He's fat, he's round,
    he's taking Derby down.
    Paul Jewell, Paul Jewell
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah but they play us soon ;-)
  • Options
    I thought this season would see Birmingham and Derby getting the automatic places. With the finances available to Derby I can't understand why they haven't been able to turn it around this season. Time is definitely running out on Jewell, who I've always thought of as a lower league Guss Hindink, building up a team with potential then leaving when he claims he can't take them any further.
  • Options
    you just know if they are going to beat someone it iwll be us.

You just knowit.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I was thinking that.

But we don't play them till December 13th. So you'd think they'd be able to get a few wins before then...
  • Options
    If you look at their squad they should be good enough to at least make the play offs. I personally feel that once they get that elusive first win then they'll go on a run. Players like Savage, Barnes, Commons, Ellington and Hulse are more than capable at this level. Whether they need to replace Jewell to go on that run though, is another matter.
    Remember Sunderland came down a few years back with a terrible record, then lost their first 4 league games, changed manager and the rest is history.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]I thought this season would see Birmingham and Derby getting the automatic places. With the finances available to Derby I can't understand why they haven't been able to turn it around this season. Time is definitely running out on Jewell, who I've always thought of as a lower league Guss Hindink, building up a team with potential then leaving when he claims he can't take them any further.

I don't think the finances have been made as available as we were led to believe last season.

I am becoming worried for Jewell. I wonder how is his state of mind? He seemed to be totally drained during his time at Wigan. The battle to keep Bradford up, then his failure at Sheff Wed, getting and keeping Wigan up, these jobs have been extremely stressful for him and now the shambles at Derby.

I guess we'll know soon enough.
  • Options
    ".......I thought this season would see West Bromwich Albion and Charlton getting the automatic places. With the finances available to Charlton, I can't understand why they haven't been able to turn it around this season."

That could have been written about us, at this stage last season!
    (apology to FOD)

;o)
  • Options
    It was a strange decision to take the Derby job after getting a good reputation at Wigan.
  • Options
    Two great reports surrounding Derby today:

Paul Jewell brought new meaning to the transfer window last night when Marseille-bound defender Tyrone Mears had to crawl past the manager's office to collect his boots after defying his manager's orders not to go.

In an incredible incident at the club's training ground yesterday, Mears had to sneak in through a window to collect his boots after Jewell told him to ignore chairman Adam Pearson's instructions to head for Marseille on loan.

Jewell claimed he had not seen a fax from Marseille - who were drawn to play Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven and Atletic Madrid in the Champions League yesterday - offering the former Preston and West Ham full-back the opportunity of a lifetime.

Mears went to the club secretary, picked up the fax from Marseille and took it to Jewell's office to try to push through one of the summer's most unlikely transfers.

But despite permission from Pearson to leave for Birmingham Airport, Jewell told the defender that he had to stay.

After another call to Pearson, the defender climbed in through an open window at the training ground, sneaked past Jewell's office and collected his boots before driving to the airport to catch a flight to Marseille.

Tyrone Mears looks certain to face disciplinary action from Derby after he flew out to Marseille for a trial against the wishes of the club.

The French outfit proposed taking the defender on trial, with the view to him joining on a free loan, but the Rams described their offer as "laughable," and "completely and utterly unacceptable".

However, Derby claim Mears decided to travel to Marseille for the trial, despite being under contract at Pride Park for another two years.

Stockport-born Mears, 25, joined Derby from West Ham in a £1million move last summer and his value has increased to between £1.5million and £2million in the past 12 months, according to the Rams.

A Derby spokesman said: "The faxed offer from Marseille yesterday was for a two-day trial, with the possibility of a free loan.

"That is completely and utterly unacceptable - in fact it's laughable. Both the chairman Adam Pearson and the manager Paul Jewell communicated this to the player directly and to Marseille and made it clear that as the offer stood there would be no deal."

Mears' actions will almost certainly incur disciplinary action and look to have put his career at Pride Park in jeopardy.

The former Manchester City trainee has featured in all five of Derby's games this season but seems highly unlikely to be involved against Barnsley on Saturday.
  • Options
    Ha ha ha, sneaking through a window?!