Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Sat 7th May 1988. Chelsea 1 Charlton 1

Comments

• One of the great games that I will never forget. Amazing atmosphere, totally intimidating. Also, the day Carl Leaburn totally secured his status as a Charlton legend. LOL.
  • Thanks for the memories. I hadn't heard a couple of those stories.

I was way down the front with my two kids, then aged 10 and 11. When it kicked off behind us (my memory is that there was a knife involved? ), I was anxiously turning round,looking over my shoulder in concern for the boys safety. But they were totally oblivious. All they knew and cared about was what was happening on the pitch. I remember Adam saying to me with considerable irritation : ''Dad, for goodness sake, watch the match!''

I also remember when we scored jumping up and down while being hugged by this big bear of a bloke, whom we saw at all the away games, about 50, in motorcycle leathers with a straggly black beard and glasses (a bit Ricky Tomlimson, now I think about it!). Anybody know who he was? I think he rode his motorcycle to every away game, no matter how far. Recall seeing him at Shef Wed, Forest, Villa - absolutely everywhere.
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]
    I also remember when we scored jumping up and down while being hugged by this big bear of a bloke, whom we saw at all the away games, about 50, in motorcycle leathers with a straggly black beard and glasses (a bit Ricky Tomlimson, now I think about it!). Anybody know who he was? I think he rode his motorcycle to every away game, no matter how far. Recall seeing him at Shef Wed, Forest, Villa - absolutely everywhere.

I remember him well, as you say, saw him at Rotherham, Chesterrfield, everywhere. Never did know who he was.
  • i remember a motorcycle fella but he was grey haired and bearded/moustached , pretty sure he always had a red helmet (oooo errrrr) by his side was always at away games in the eighties early nineties
  • I was only about 10 or 11 at this game, but still remember it vividly to this day. Was certainly an eye-opener for me being so young! The old man was in his element though!
    Clearly remember being locked in for what seemed like ages afterwards, but with the whole Charlton end giving it 'bye bye chelsea, bye bye chelsea, bye bye chelsea bye bye,' 'F**k Off chelsea, F**k off chelsea F**k off!!'.

A good friend of mine from working on the LEB, used to be a right old chelsea boy, (in his early 50's now so would have been about 30 then). Has always said that on that day, he and a few pals werent going to risk it after what they had seen in the ground, and went back to their local, later on the ones who did go for a tear up came back battered!

Driving back that day we passed the Charlton team coach, and the beer was in full flow on there!! Think even the driver had a can on the go!
  • I always remember me and my ex pal Jason (Went over to the dark side Millwall) Watching the match and then when Chelski scored about 10 feet in front of us down in the bottom right hand corner about 20ish Chelski going ape and beckoning any Charlton who wanted a go?

I think they must have thought that the entire end would flee like Liverpool had done the week before?

WRONG!

This fella in front of us (Who was a man mountin) turned and shouted "Whos putting with these w*****s in our end?" He then looked at me and my pal and said "lets get stuck into these punts" NOW at 13 I wasent that sure but then you had this massive serge with felt like the whole section behind running at them!!

Chelski got battered in our end and if my memory serves me right 3 or 4 of them got stretchered out by the OB/Stewards!

The chant I remember to the benches (Who were going mental!) "IS THAT ALL YOUVE F*****G GOT"?......LMFAO!

Great day I will never forget on and off the pitch!
  • Geezer with grey beard and motorbike leathers was at all the away games in the mid-late 80's (he is still know to this this day by my mates as The Sherriff of Nottingham...but haven't seen him for years). We also had another die-hard leatherman....Mike.....who I think stood as a conservative MP or councillor or something. He used to get involved in lively debate on trains home with Vince, Birchie, Steve Dixon, Man in Black etc....and was a good bloke. Those were on the days when away to Newcastle, we'd take about 35 and you knew them all. I counted 27 at Boro' in 1983.....
  • TO the in-the-know oldies on here:

In this day and age is there any fixture or circumstance do you think that would pull out that kind of charton support again?
  • Different generation mate...I dont think so personally
  • I want to put in a word for Paul Miller. He wasn't the greatest player we ever signed, but talk about cometh the day, cometh the man. That bloke walked on the pitch determined he wasn't going to walk off on the losing side. The more intimidating the atmosphere got, the more it seemed to give him the strength. He scored the goal of course, but his finest moment in a Charlton shirt came in the 96th minute. Colin West broke free, but somehow Miller caught up with him, slid in, got the ball, got his legs, and for good measure, karate chopped him. The ref, who had bottled out ages earlier, simply blew for full time, West was still in a crumpled heap. And as the players went down the tunnel, a couple of the Chelsea players made the huge mistake of debating with Miller the merits of his contribution. From the West stand, we got an excellent view of his response.

Epic. On the day, the second biggest Charlton game of my life after the Wembley final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was 14 myself.

Made the mistake of attending this one with a certain bloke who went on to streak at the Aston Villa home game a few years back. Was friends with his younger brother. I'm sure a few of you on here will know him.

He waded in big style when they tried to "take" our end.....us teenagers merely stood and watched in awe as Charlton leathered them.

Amazing game, would put the away turnout at around 5k myself.

Didn't Chelsea subsequently go on the rampage after the play off game that we sent them into? Middlesborough was it?.
  • Yes, mentioned that game earlier, Clem, #61 above.
  • what a loop when we scored!
    Sheets of paper, anyone?
  • The players were absolutely immense that day. Very little football played which allowed Miller to have his greatest ever game for us as a result.
    Remember being kept in for at least an hour afterwards but with what had happened on the terraces during the game this was no bad thing.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Different generation mate...I dont think so personally[/quote]

I actually missed te famous 1-1 at Chelsea, But went there a few times in the late 70's and 80's and they always had the Old North Stand 'firm' in attendance.

These days I think , despite years of big crowds we have lost any 'edge' we might have had. I recall looking at our support at Gillingham away in the FA CUP and thinking we should be sponsored by Werthers.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnnnn, leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnn not much skill but 110% tryer.[/quote]

Should have been a centre back - won everything in the air when he was in our own box.
    .[/quote]

Carlo had 'giant player syndrome' - couldn't jump or leap for the ball. But for a tall man, he had a decent touch, good turn, and shielded the ball really well, and surprisingly skillful on the floor.

As most will remember, he had a touch of the 'creaming Lisbies' when faced with an open goal.
    One of those players who suffered a premature ejaculation, when all he had to do was to keep his composure. ;o)

Apart from the fact that he couldn't jump for the ball and he couldn't shoot, at 2nd tier level he eventually 'grew' lol, into one decent enough player.......(!)

PS: I was going to talk about his Wimbledon career; didn't he score just 1 goal for them.......against Palace?[/quote]

But who can ever forget the goal he scored away at Southend, would have had Ronaldo winning the goal of the season.
  • JonH i dnt remember being kept in at all after the game ? went for drinks in Villiers St after , then went home got changed and still went to a class reunion and got there on time ?
  • Could have been the pen we were in (from looking at the previous picture we had 3 of them full) was kept longer in the ground than the other two?

Was only 11 at the time so could have been the parents staying back to keep out of problems but remember the people on the terraces not moving for what seemed ages until the big surge occurred for us all to leave.
  • edited May 2009
  • There was no millwall in our end fact!

It was a very good turn out of Charlton.30-40 chelsea called it on and it came well on top for them.They were always trying this little thing back in their day and they got payback big time for there previous bully boy antics on us.I was really pleased when they got twated.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was only 9 at the time. I can remember it going off in our end after chelsea went one up early in the first half and Leaburn having to be restrained by Jimmy Hendrie and Mickey Bennett after he was twatted by Wicks.

I can still remember the sheer relief at the end and being glad that we did not have to go into the plays offs for the second year running.

I'm pretty sure we were kept in by the old bill after the game as I seem to remember Lennie and all the players coming back out onto the pitch and the rest of the ground being near empty with only Charlton fans left in the ground.

Can also remember Mark Reid putting a chelsea player (Might have been Pat Nevin) into the dug out with a tackle that would have most certainly lead to a sending off today.

When I look back at that team we had not only good players like Johnny H, Shirtliff, Mark Reid (such an under rated player), Crooks, Bolder, but they were real characters who would never give up no matter what the circumstances.

Great memories.
  • I rate this as equal to or even better than the play off final as the best game i've been to. Was convinced I was having a heart attack throughout the match such was the tension.

Didnt Durie go close with a free kick right at the death ?

Seemed like hours that we were kept in afterwards
  • 25 years and counting.
  • Remember listening to this on the world service (was travelling around Europe at the time).
  • One of the great games.......almost as good as the Shirtliff show at St Andrews
  • Had to change my security pass at Barclays in Canary Wharf this morning and was sorted out for me by our very own Carl Leaburn!

Have great memories of that day at the Bridge. One of my favourite games for Carl alongside the chipping of a certain Peter Shilton at Derby all those years ago.
  • TelMc32 said:

Had to change my security pass at Barclays in Canary Wharf this morning and was sorted out for me by our very own Carl Leaburn!

Have great memories of that day at the Bridge. One of my favourite games for Carl alongside the chipping of a certain Peter Shilton at Derby all those years ago.

I thought the Shilton chip was at Selhurst?
  • DA9 said:

TelMc32 said:

Had to change my security pass at Barclays in Canary Wharf this morning and was sorted out for me by our very own Carl Leaburn!

At the Baseball ground, I know, I missed the goal as I went to the loo, heard the cheer. I asked a steward who scored, he told me that your black centreforward has just chipped Shilton, I replied yeh I believe that.

I thought the Shilton chip was at Selhurst?
  • edited May 2013
    I posted this story on another thread,it feels appropriate to retell it here.

I met Paul Miller when I went to Spurs V West Ham last season where he circulated as a match day host in the lounge that I was in.

I told him I had seen his best ever game and for a while he was recounting various Tottenham matches I then told him it wasn't for Spurs. He laughed you must be a Charlton boy then.He clearly was not expecting someone to discuss his latter career.

He described the game as X rated and that he took pleasure in sending Chelsea down.He said it was inconceivable now that Chelsea could get relegated.

In the book the 'Boy's from White Hart Lane' Miller describes keeping Charlton up as his greatest achievement in football.He told me that he still liked Charlton and admired SCP.

He said that his knees had nearly gone when he joined Watford and that he had other business interests.I choose not to mention anything about spitting.
  • DA9 said:

Posted By: Weegie Addick
    Never ever seen Leaburn lose it before - he went absolutely mad once he came round!
    A scary day out with the right result.
    Somehow don't think it will still get discussed on Chelski message boards, do you? Consigned to their long last past.
    When they played West Ham the next season they were taunted by the ICF singing "Chelsea run from Charlton", told that by a close pal who is an appy hammer. If anyone remembers the CS gas attack on some Charlton at White City tube the following season after we were at QPR, that was Chelsea trying to exact revenge, they came unstuck then too.

They certainly did, If I remember rightly they realised they'd got it wrong too late as the train doors closed and we were on. I'm sure the train was rocking as it went along.

Back to the Chelsea game.
    As GH says, I can't remember being kept in.
    As Tavern says, No Millwall, there was a serious feud going on at the time and they wouldn't put themselves in with a lot of Charlton.
    I'm sure this is the game where Babs? (one Arm) was put on his arse at the tube station by Steve K**H.