Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Sat 7th May 1988. Chelsea 1 Charlton 1

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Just dont get the intimidated thing at that game ? been to Chelsea when we never had no where near that following and that could be a bit bum twitching. That day seeing the numbers and who was there i just knew it wouldnt be us that needed to tread carefully.

was our first school reunion after that game, but i just had to have a few beers round Charing X before going. Chelsea never turned up at Villiers street either. i was buzzing when i finally got to the class reunion. Great , great, great day and night ! some of those girls were much better looking as 30yo women !!!!!

Were they still wearing their school uniforms?....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnnnn, leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnn not much skill but 110% tryer.
    Similar to Iwelumo in that respect?

Doubt Chris would ever get the cult status Carl did no matter how many games he plays for us.

Shows how times and people's patience have changed as the game has changed.

The only difference is that nearly 100% of the crowd don't like Chris, before it was 50% that did not like Carlo
  • Options
    another one who was more popular cos he had a name that was easy to sing leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnnnn, leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnn not much skill but 110% tryer.

Should have been a centre back - won everything in the air when he was in our own box.
    Still remember him missing from about a yard against Spuds at Selhurst to put us 2 up I think.
    Ended up losing to a Mitchell Thomas (?) overhead kick I think.
  • Options
    It was Pitsea's (spelling?) girlfriend that went wading in, more punk than skinhead I would say. Dyed blond hair. They both got nicked. She took quite a few Chelsea out though and it took about 4 old bill to arrest her. I saw him down the Anchor a few games back, hadn't seen him around for years.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnnnn, leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnn not much skill but 110% tryer.[/quote]

Should have been a centre back - won everything in the air when he was in our own box.
    Still remember him missing from about a yard against Spuds at Selhurst to put us 2 up I think.
    Ended up losing to a Mitchell Thomas (?) overhead kick I think.[/quote]

That would have made the score 3-1 I think, and then the clearance went straight down the other end and Spurs scored - Tony Galvin from around 25/30 yards.

I think the match finished 2-2, but you might be right.
  • Options
    No, it finished 2-2. We were right in front of him when he missed it, I still have nightmares about that now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]No, it finished 2-2. We were right in front of him when he missed it, I still have nightmares about that now.

didn't it hit the bar?
  • Options
    we took 7k ooohhh aaaahhh.
    Think there were some Millwall in our end fighting Chelsea fans on our behalf!
    Good loop when we equalised!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]

Carlo had 'giant player syndrome' - couldn't jump or leap for the ball. But for a tall man, he had a decent touch, good turn, and shielded the ball really well, and surprisingly skillful on the floor.

As most will remember, he had a touch of the 'creaming Lisbies' when faced with an open goal.
    One of those players who suffered a premature ejaculation, when all he had to do was to keep his composure. ;o)

Apart from the fact that he couldn't jump for the ball and he couldn't shoot, at 2nd tier level he eventually 'grew' lol, into one decent enough player.......(!)

PS: I was going to talk about his Wimbledon career; didn't he score just 1 goal for them.......against Palace?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, it was TWO in the same game at Selhurst.

They were the last goals he ever scored at senior level.
  • Options
    He scored on his debut for Wimbledon but got only a few goals before they released him - and he finished his playing career at Grays Athletic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]we took 7k ooohhh aaaahhh.
    Think there were some Millwall in our end fighting Chelsea fans on our behalf!
    Good loop when we equalised!

Trust me, it was all Charlton, old skool, but all Charlton, thats a line spun by every so called "big" club whenever Charlton held their own.
  • Options
    Morts you are about 100% wrong . Millwall were playing the last game of the season at The Den , they had just been promoted to the top division for the first time inthe clubs history. They were all at The Den for the party and the OKR after.

For the record i was told by a Chelsea chap it was near 10,000 we took that day.

Covered End yes it was the chap you mention. His GF was called Sal. He hasnt been with her for a very long time. He still goes to most home games.Drinks in the Con Club and was at The Anchor last Sunday.

Fact most "hoolies" of yester year still go. Now with their kids and in some cases grand kids. They were there when the club had f**K all and are still there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Morts you are about 100% wrong . Millwall were playing the last game of the season at The Den , they had just been promoted to the top division for the first time inthe clubs history. They were all at The Den for the party and the OKR after.

For the record i was told by a Chelsea chap it was near 10,000 we took that day.

Covered End yes it was the chap you mention. His GF was called Sal. He hasnt been with her for a very long time. He still goes to most home games.Drinks in the Con Club and was at The Anchor last Sunday.

Fact most "hoolies" of yester year still go. Now with their kids and in some cases grand kids. They were there when the club had f**K all and are still there.

God I feel old.
  • Options
    Enjoyed reading this. That was a game when we all stood up together to be counted. Paul Miller was simply not going to leave that field on the losing side. His goal was a ridiculous deflection but his performance epitomised the whole lot of us. A lot of people maintain that when he brought down West at the end, he karate chopped him for good measure. I definitely saw that as they disappeared down the tunnel he was scrapping with some Chelsea players. Off the pitch that was the most initimidating game I'd been to in the seats at away games, because we were in the West. From the first moment loads of thugs in blue were just standing up and eyeballing us - nice for the families with kids there. I was living in South west London then and we'd left the car at the Dukes Head in Putney, not a footie pub. We were standing outside waiting for opening time (!) and some Chelsea joined us. Seeing us holding programmes one of them said "Coon went a bit mental, didn't he?" I took a deep breath and said "You mean the Charlton coon, or the Chelsea coon?" There was a couple of seconds silence then they looked a bit sick and slunk off. Good job, because trust me, Im not a scrapper, but I thought, "that's for you Carlo", and we drank long and deep.
  • Options
    nice story Prague.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]nice story Prague.

I was sat with my brother in law who was a chelsea fan with the home fans, sat on my hands throughout the game, when we scored went yup - very quietly. As we brought on our subs a comment that stuck in my mind was -"Look they are letting the monkeys out of their cage!!", at one point I called out "come on lads", my BIL thought I'd shouted reds and was already to do the Jasper carrot sketch and beating me up to save my life. With a bout 5 mins to go, a Chelsea fans got up and screamed come lets go and get those Charlton c***s" SHE was then followed by a group of neanderthals, I sat there very quiet.

Paul MIller and carlo were ace that day, wish I had a recording of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Trust me "she and the rest" never appeared.

I worked with a guy from Yorkshire. His landlord was a "loads of money gobby Chelsea herbert".On the Monday after the game the Yorkie comes up to me big smile on his face. He tells me that morning he saw his landlord leaving the building with a huge completely closed black eye. One of those "oooo thats gota hurt" jobs. So the Yorkie says to the Chelsea guy"what happened to you" now you would think that he might say "walked into a door", but no he tells the Yorkie he was ouside The Bridge after the game and some Charlton geezer twated him ! The Yorkie guy (who hated the landlord) says to me "mate Charlton are my second club after that !!"
  • Options
    how different Chelsea are as a club now........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]how different Chelsea are as a club now........

Club ?..... more like a media circus.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]how different Chelsea are as a club now........

Do you know what, I thought that this last couple of weeks, watching their games on telly, the amount of black or asian faces in the crowd, back in 88 you would not have seen that, they have definitely changed. Mind you most of these new fans were probably wearing gooner shirts a couple of seasons back.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Brilliant day. And a timely reminder of what it means to support our club.
  • Options
    The day that was....
  • Options
    You can see the OB going into our end bottom right hand corner!

Chelski were begging the stewards to let them out our end!

A week before hand they done the same to Liverpool and got the result but they came unstuck this day!
  • Options
    Great day, apart from copping a bottle in the face from friendly fire when a car load of Chelsea unwittingly drove past the pubs in villiers street. I was not going to miss that game for a visit to get it stitched so have the scar to remind me. Mental in the ground and we held our own in the ground and after as well. Definitely one of my top away games ever. Remember most pitseys girlfriend giving it to the Chelsea fans as she was being dragged out by the OB, top girl that day.
  • Options
    just 17 at the time remember thinking 'quite a good away turnout '
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]just 17 at the time remember thinking 'quite a good away turnout '

That was probably the last time too, eh oohaah :-)
  • Options
    A great day. Also went to the Boro' game but not so much fun without big Carl. OB were determined not to have the same happen again and were really out in force. The Shed amused themselves by overturning an OB motor and a couple of hot dog vans.During the game two Chelsea players (out injured: one was on crutches) were walking round the touchline gee-ing the crowd up 'til OB arrested them in front of the Shed. Almost started a riot!