Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stuart Fleetwood

edited May 2008 in Rumours
signing for £250k according to the News of The World

Comments

• they would be correct, from what i have heard.
  • He's the guy from Forest Green right?

Guess Pardew thinks one of McLeod, Dickson or Fleetwood is going to transition from the lower leagues up to the top of the championship and chances are one of them will. got to say I liked the look of Varney and Gray today.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]He's the guy from Forest Green right?

Guess Pardew thinks one of McLeod, Dickson or Fleetwood is going to transition from the lower leagues up to the top of the championship and chances are one of them will. got to say I liked the look of Varney and Gray today.

Yep Forest Green.
  • if we pay a quarter of a million pounds for a non league footballer I would be shocked.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]if we pay a quarter of a million pounds for a non league footballer I would be shocked.

does seem a lot. Maybe it is in installments/based on appearences etc.
  • A talented player who had a car accident and then a breakdown, fell out of league football but has found form with Forest Green.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Fleetwood

£250K sounds a lot, but I'm sure that includes appearances, a sell on clause etc.
  • Can't say I'm impressed with a person who deals with the a car crash by drink driving but I accept that Wikipedia is not the most reliable source and that we only have a fraction of the story.

Hope he is over what must have been a very nasty incident and does well for us if he does sign.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Can't say I'm impressed with a person who deals with the a car crash by drink driving but I accept that Wikipedia is not the most reliable source and that we only have a fraction of the story.

Hope he is over what must have been a very nasty incident and does well for us if he does sign.

Whilst understanding your sentiment Henry, I think its a bit harsh without knowing the circumstances and the mental state he was in after the crash, suspect he was not dealing with it.
  • Hopefully he's learnt his lesson and done a bit of growing up and if so deserves a second chance at league football. I think Darren Bent got into a bit of trouble for shooting at someone with an air-rifle, he turned out ok personality wise.

The Forest Green site says that they have offered him a contract for next season but that he's "unlikely to accept":

http://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/news/showItem.asp?id=72
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Can't say I'm impressed with a person who deals with the a car crash by drink driving but I accept that Wikipedia is not the most reliable source and that we only have a fraction of the story.

Whilst understanding your sentiment Henry, I think its a bit harsh without knowing the circumstances and the mental state he was in after the crash, suspect he was not dealing with it.

Totally agree but we are only going on this one report which could be read as excusing his drunk driving by linking it to the crash when that might not be the case.

No doubt he deserves a second chance in the league and in life and I hope he does well for us if he has actually signed. Not had an e-mail from Chris Parkes yet and until I do I won't believe it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just a thought, thinking about the story on the Forest Green site - they say that they've offered Fleetwood a contract for next season, if so then he must be out of contract now. The NoTW says we are signing him for £250K, why if he's out of contract are we paying money?

What am I missing?
  • I can see a profitable partnership if sign Fleetwood and play him alongside McLeod: Fleetwood-Mc.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Just a thought, thinking about the story on the Forest Green site - they say that they've offered Fleetwood a contract for next season, if so then he must be out of contract now. The NoTW says we are signing him for £250K, why if he's out of contract are we paying money?

What am I missing?

I'd guess that as he's under 24 they are still entitled to a development fee.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Just a thought, thinking about the story on the Forest Green site - they say that they've offered Fleetwood a contract for next season, if so then he must be out of contract now. The NoTW says we are signing him for £250K, why if he's out of contract are we paying money?

What am I missing?

I suspect that he is in contract and have offered him a new improved contract hoping to keep him longer term (we would have tried the same with so many players, Parker had just signed an extension to his, when Chelsea came in), but realise they can't compete with a League club
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Just a thought, thinking about the story on the Forest Green site - they say that they've offered Fleetwood a contract for next season, if so then he must be out of contract now. The NoTW says we are signing him for £250K, why if he's out of contract are we paying money?

What am I missing?[/quote]

I'd guess that as he's under 24 they are still entitled to a development fee.[/quote]

But they didn't develop him, he played for Cardiff from the age of 12 and then several other league/non-league teams and only pitched up at FG a season ago.
  • I guess it's ironic that this thread is under the "rumours" heading.

What am I missing?
    I was thinking exactly the same thing (the Wiki page says he signed a 1 year contract last summer too) - is this a brown envelope job? ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I can see a profitable partnership if sign Fleetwood and play him alongside McLeod: Fleetwood-Mc.

pardew will give them both a free role "You can go your own way." he'll say as they go onto the pitch.

I also think the fees might an albatross around their necks
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I guess it's ironic that this thread is under the "rumours" heading.

missed that one. Very good BFR
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I guess it's ironic that this thread is under the "rumours" heading.

missed that one. Very good BFR

You're too busy thinking about tomorrow......
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I can see a profitable partnership if sign Fleetwood and play him alongside McLeod: Fleetwood-Mc.

pardew will give them both a free role "You can go your own way." he'll say as they go onto the pitch.

I also think the fees might an albatross around their necks

They weren't bought for Nicks though were they?
  • Don't stop, you make loving (Charlton) fun.
  • This is turning into a good Chain of posts
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]This is turning into a goodChainof posts

Yeah, you can really sink your tusk into it.

(Anyone under about 35 is thinking WTF?)
  • WTF?
  • Fleetwood & Iwelumo up front, well with that strikeforce the reserves might win the league next season. I'd like to think that we can attract better strikers than someone who scores 27 in non leage, that's like soring 40 in the SPL aint it.
  • I don't understand the need for singnings like this. As with Dorian Smith and Dean Sinclair, I just don't think they add anything to us.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I don't understand the need for singnings like this. As with Dorian Smith and Dean Sinclair, I just don't think they add anything to us.

What about Chris Dickson?
  • edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I don't understand the need for singnings like this. As with Dorian Smith and Dean Sinclair, I just don't think they add anything to us.

What about Chris Dickson?

Add Dickson to the list as well. I don't think they'll ever be regualr starters and be nothing more than make the occasional cup appearance. And now we're in the Championship for the foreseeable future we can't waste resources on players like this imo.
  • can't really equate Fleetwood with Dickson. Fleetwood has been through the ranks at a pro Club and so doesn't have as many rough edges as Dickson. Cardiff only got rid because of the car crash and they didn't think he'd recover. I think we should give the lad credit for coming back from life threatening injuries. He has scores bundles for FGR at a higher level than Dickson has ever played. Dickson was a real punt, this lad isn't. For 250k, which as Henry says is bound to be on appearance/goal related terms, you can't lose. As with Dickson we paid 35k and I'd say that conservatively we could sell him now for at least 150k. And don't forget both will be on low wages.