Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Am I Reading Too Much

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
into this or do others think it strange that Reg's successor seems to be firmly thrown in at the deep end?

If I've interpreted things correctly Richard Murray, not Reg, previously dealt with the finance side of player signings yet the new guy, as well as taking on an unfamiliar job, is having even more responsibility thrust upon him.

I'm not trying to be negative here but it is imperative to get the player recruitment right this summer.

Is the best way of doing this to give the responsibility to a guy who already has enough to do settling into a demanding new job?

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32364

Comments

• edited April 2008
    As far as I know he used to be Andy Cole's agent when he was at the toon.
  • What you might reasonably infer is that Steve Waggott won't be doing the same job that Peter Varney has done for the last 10 years - not if he requires any sleep, anyway.
  • From what I'm reading Richard Murray is taking a back seat and Chappel and Waggot are running the show now. How long before Murray is gone altogether?
  • I personally hope Muzza will never leave tell him that from me AB and you henners. dont listen to the charlie blocks tell Mr Waggott and Mr Chappel welcome and good luck 99% are with you always unless we loose ownership rights on the ground and end in the blue square
  • From the link (referring to his taking over eight weeks early):

"This follows a decision reached by the board of Charlton Athletic plc at its meeting on April 28th to assign management responsibility for all player purchases and sales to Waggott with immediate effect."

Does this mean that there will be a fair amount of activity on the transfer front at the conclusion of the season, and that Club want Waggott in now to get the process started ASAP?
  • I'm very worried about our future.

There, i've said it.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'm very worried about our future.

There, i've said it.

Could be worse.

Not sure how just now, but I'm sure it could be
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Could be worse.

Not sure how just now, but I'm sure it could be

LOL!!!
  • is waggott taking over 'the andrew mills' role in the signing of players
  • who trusts anyone who has been an agent? it is the buying and selling of players that has been the clubs undoing. all those signed by dowie for instance.... did he sign them or did mills? who were the agents that made charlton buy them? we will never know.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'm very worried about our future.

There, i've said it.

smudge you seem very down beat lately cheer up buddy i am begining to think youve had your id stolen and someone else is posting for you

where's nss
  • edited May 2008
    I must admit I'm reading it as a positive move. He gets into the job early therefore the handover period with Varney is extended and he is from a financial background and the press release says clearly that he is responsible for budgets, not signing or choosing players.

[cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]is waggott taking over 'the andrew mills' role in the signing of players

In answer to that it must be a no. He is taking over from the Murray role
  • I think we need to all think that to take business forward sometimes change is needed it is how that change is managed and comunicated that makes it successful in this instance i feel it is a case of wait and see and dont second guess no matter how difficult that is for us all, i serously dont think the club is in deep do do but i am not privy to any info so i could be wrong. i do however feel that the prem is a long way off from us and proberly will be for a while but as long as we havent overspent or put the club in jepordy that the worst it will be is chumpinship footie for a while
  • I would have thought the CEO would have a lot of day to day dealing with transfers a club business, I thought Murray was doing this more as well with Chappel being more of a chairman figurehead.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I would have thought the CEO would have a lot of day to day dealing with transfers a club business, I thought Murray was doing this more as well with Chappel being more of a chairman figurehead.

As I understood it... Chappell would look after the fundraising and keeping the board on side and happy, Murray would get his hands dirty dealing with players, and Waggott would be your man looking at all other aspects of the *business* - shifting responsibilities around slightly.
  • yeah thats what I was thinking, but probably not communicating it very well.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I would have thought the CEO would have a lot of day to day dealing with transfers a club business, I thought Murray was doing this more as well with Chappel being more of a chairman figurehead.[/quote]

As I understood it... Chappell would look after the fundraising and keeping the board on side and happy, Murray would get his hands dirty dealing with players, and Waggott would be your man looking at all other aspects of the *business* - shifting responsibilities around slightly.[/quote]

In essence yes, had Varney stayed that is probably how things would have worked out, just that Waggott has more experience in the areas that Murray is responsible for and therefore will take on some of his job.
  • sounds like a Mills thing again to me..
  • Football is becoming more of a business and one thing Charlton have always tried to do is to do things professionally.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]sounds like a Mills thing again to me..

That's the worry, I suppose - the last time Murray tried to shift things round it was with the general manager/ head coach/ coach (Mills/Dowie/Reed) approach. I hope he's learned from that!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2008
    yes but the last bloke in this position was hardly a raging sucess and got moved on..not sure we are a big enough club to warrant that. Although I suppose if the new MD is a lesser Varney, with Mills slung in too, then he is less powerful, with Murray taking more of a lead, that would work.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]yes but the last bloke in this position was hardly a raging sucess and got moved on..not sure we are a big enough club to warrant that.[/quote]

The structure wasn't necessarily right then, Mills was brought in as General Manager to work with Dowie, if I read this correctly Waggott is replacing Varney and doing some of the work that Murray was doing anyway. I might be missing something but I think that he's taking on more responsibility than Varney had and reducing Murray's workload a bit rather than doing anything revolutionary.
  • Thats the way i read it BFR Waggott has got nothing to do with the first team mgmt structure unlike mills. All he is doing is replacing Varney
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Thats the way i read it BFR Waggott has got nothing to do with the first team mgmt structure unlike mills. All he is doing is replacing Varney[/quote]

From the PR on the OS:

"This follows a decision reached by the board of Charlton Athletic plc at its meeting on April 28th to assign management responsibility for all player purchases and sales to Waggott with immediate effect."

and:

"Football club chairman Richard Murray said: "In recent years, I have had the principal management responsibility for the first-team manager and for the purchase and sale of players based on his recommendations. "The board has decided that in the light of the appointment of a new chief executive, it now makes sense for all budgets to come under his control, including the football squad budget, and I support this move."

So, from the horse's mouth it seems that Murray is relinquishing some of his responsibilities and therefore Waggott will not only replace Varney but also take on some of Murray's work.
  • I think where the confusion may have crept in is that Millsy's role maybe wasnt explained thouroughly enough. i would have thought like all other chairman Mr Muzza would have had overal say as to what monies were spent and in what areas after consultation of whatever panel he had put in place to aid these decisions.

the change is he has given that to Mr Waggot as BFR explained so i think in answer to the title maybe we are all reading too much into this