Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kiely: West Brom can emulate Charlton

From expressandstar:

Keeper Dean Kiely today claimed Albion could eclipse the achievements of Charlton when they return to the Premier League next season.

The shot-stopper played a major role in cementing the Addicks’ Premier League place after helping them reach the top flight in 2000.

And the former Republic of Ireland international believes the Baggies are well placed to do even better than his former club after they effectively clinched promotion on Tuesday.

“When I played at Charlton we were never involved in a relegation battle or a six pointer,” said Kiely.

“We finished between seventh and 14th in the six-and-a-half-years I was there and this team has all those ingredients – but a little bit more.

“Obviously there are things we need to work on and we need to turn the screw on certain things a little bit harder.

“I’m sure we will do that. It’s also a big deal that the manager gets a transfer kitty and the blend will come from the people he brings in.

“I can’t imagine many big egos or superstars coming in. It will be the right players and the right people who come in. We all trust the manager implicitly with the choices he has already made and those he brings in over the future.”

Kiely, now aged 37, has already set his sights on playing in the top flight beyond his 40th birthday having signed a contract extension.

And he believes it is vital for Tony Mowbray’s men to make a flying start to their Premier League campaign in August.

“I think it’s important that you start the season well just like Bristol City did in the Championship,” he said. “You can take the winning momentum into any division you go into.”

Comments

• Options
    It's a far different league now though Deano! Good luck to them though, deserved to go up.
  • Options
    They have a good manager, some Premiership experienced players and play the right way, good luck to them.

Stoke on the other hand....
  • Options
    wish it was us
  • Options
    I'm happy not to have to play them next season.
  • Options
    WBA are a great attacking side but their defence is dreadful and they are going to get hammered on the road.

Their best bet is to try and swamp teams at home with their attacking style and then nick what they can against the lesser sides on the road.

Good to see them go up though, they've been a cut above this season.