Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 29th April 2000. Oh Happy Day indeed!

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Saturday 29th April 2000. The Valley. Att: 20,043

Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Hunt 81) Ipswich Town 3 (1) (Magilton 24, Johnson 58, Reuser 70)

Charlton: Kiely, Brown, Rufus, Tiler, Powell, Newton, Stuart (Parker 66), Kinsella, Robinson, Kitson (Svensson 46), Hunt. Unused subs: Barness, Todd, Royce.

Ipswich: Wright, Wilnis (Clapham 73), Brown, Mowbray, Venus (Thetis 81), Croft, Scowcroft, Magilton, Holland, Stewart (Reuser 56) Johnson. Unused subs: Naylor, Branagan.

Referee: Phil Richards (Preston)

Celebrations: Charlton recieved the Fisrt Division championship trophy. Replica medals were presented to to the players following the match. Swedish opera singer Bjorn Arvidsson, sang before and after the match (Nessun Dorma, We are the champions and Valley Floyd Road) and the London Gospel Community Choir sang Oh Happy Day and Feel the Spirit.
The Official medals were presented at a special dinner at The Royal Lancaster Hotel on 8th July.

Comments

• Options
    Next year mate, next year !!

Remember a lot of the Ipswich fans stayed to applaud the presentation.
    I still had a season ticket in the south stand then.
  • Options
    Was banned for this one, so missed all the celebrations
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]Was banned for this one, so missed all the celebrations
    Excuse me?!
  • Options
    A great era for us that was. Play-Off final, great year in the Prem despite the relegation and then winning the league.

The celebrations that day were fantastic. Anyone got any pics?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]Was banned for this one, so missed all the celebrations
    Excuse me?!

He said he was banned for it so missed it all
  • Options
    Typical Charlton last match of the season performance, though! How to win the Championship with a whimper. Was amazed when I realised we got the real 'League' trophy - the one I remembered Liverpool winning all those times in the 70s.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great pics , days that seem an eternity away from where we are at now as a team... thanks curbs , kins and co... we've never had it so good(well not in my lifetime)
  • Options
    nor will we again oohaa nor will we again i remeber being on the table next to that trophy at the poty and i couldnt believe the size of it. best seats we ever had that year for poty ever cheers ian cartwright
  • Options
    Replica medals were presented to to the players following the match

Why replica medals???
  • Options
    Happy days.....
  • Options
    Strange how our seats at the poty got further away after that bro didnt we end up nearly in the car park at the end lol
  • Options
    That was to do with Curbs i reckon and big Merv never liked our humour about his tan getting better as the season nearly finished yet he could still go on SSN and say that the players have not got to 40 points and gone on holiday.

Then me with Youngy and Tiler proberly didnt help either surprised we were even let in in the end
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Then me with Youngy and Tiler proberly didnt help either surprised we were even let in in the end

come on spill the beans what happened??
  • Options
    wasn't that the year of the famous New brothers , young and Tiler and the buffet courgete ?
  • Options
    Think the problems with Gary Rowett and NLA coat might have something to do with it as well. In fact NLA dont forget Karren and the Slade Green Jibes that led to a row with the security guards at out last POTY.In fact any time NLA, Fat Rob ,Larry the Lamb and myself meet up their is normaly some kind of trouble.
    Now GHE Courgete youve seen the size of me do you think i touch courgetes lol
  • Options
    That was quite a day. I fianlly got the keys for my first flat in the morning and then went to the game in the afternoon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
    I was out in charlie chans with a mate from work whos brother played for spurs and is now at sarthend (do your research) when a charlton player who used to play for spurs turned up and joined in the schenanagans this was a thursday nite finished very very late and charlton were playing saturday.

certain things happened that night which resulted in a certain individual asleep in a car that was not his with a broken window and not at training the next day,

he was subsequently shite during the said match saturday it was poty within the next 2 weeks i was pisshed and kept telling said player (B4 smudge edits) that i couldnt believe he done that whilst well in ear shot of curbs who's head turned red with anger cos said player had obviously told him something else,

didnt powelly have the worst shoes in the history of bad shoes this night also

this then annoyed said player but i was pished and didnt care and then continued to annoy him until he phoned my mate and told him to ask me to stop which i then did

Not big not clever i admit but extreemly funny at the time.

The same night i believe Larry the lamb kept saying lisbie was cack and then turned round to see him behind us on the next table.

i think this was the same night when Rowett stole my coat (not Tiler my mistake) and i also found it amusing to drive him mad for nicking my coat i was very very very drunk at this stage and the poty had only started an hour b4 unfortunatly we hadnt.

I recall fat pat and spotty parker going head to head at this one because pat kept calling him spotty instead of scotty

and the very young charlton player in the loos talking to his mate about him being the ball cocks and that if curbs couldnt see it he was going to leave this 2 bob club whilst a couple of us were having a pee pee and we then informed him that he should leave cos if he was good enouff he would play and we told him merv was having a poo in the cubicle (he wasnt) and he had proberly just signed his exit papers any way and the player weed on his foot and went back to his popstar girlfriend.

Thats why we were no longer welcome at the POTY bruv i think and the day i realised that we were not little old charlton any more.
  • Options
    cheer yourself up.
  • Options
    I was only 6 but in the East Stand. Don't remember much to be honest..
    Next year will be one to remember though ;)
  • Options
    Promoted twice in the same Le Coq Sportif kit! Let's get them back on board for next season!
  • Options
    image.php?AttachmentID=955
    One of those yellow blobs above Curb's head (row P) is me!
  • Options
    AND STILL NO PITCH INVASION .....LOL!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]AND STILL NO PITCH INVASION .....LOL!

it wasn't exciting enough!!
  • Options
    What a day, massive cheers every time Ipswich scored!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]AND STILL NO PITCH INVASION .....LOL![/quote]

it wasn't exciting enough!![/quote]

Haha very good!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    is it me or does scotty parker not look all that botherd...

image.php?AttachmentID=954