Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The FA

The Fa have agreed trhat should cardiff win the FA Cup they rep England in Europe. I havnt got a problem with that.What was also agreed at that meeting was that" The Welsh " national anthem will be played pre the cup final. Well yes if by that they mean God Save The Queen. Which unless i have missed something would be the National anthem of The UK and Northern Ireland ?
This has been done although it wasnt requested by Cardiff City but several Welsh nationalist PMs. Do they really believe that it would stop 30,000 Cardiff fans booing God Save the Queen ?
What do the FA do for England ? well it has to be FA dont it.

Comments

• Options
    Its good to see that the Welsh mps have so much time on there hands to bring this subject up. oh i wonder why they are not involved in law making in this country.
  • Options
    What a liberty
  • Options
    wow, what a non story
  • Options
    Well you would think that the National Anthem was a none story wouldnt you.

must say all your posting have been real gripping stuff.
  • Options
    Not sure why its a non story Rothko??? Why do you feel this?

I actualy think it is a total dissgrace but i'm not going to go into racial discrimination and all that on this board!! If they are now claiming that they are welsh then why the hell enter the competition? they were british in the fight to get a european place !! surprised the MPs have not got the final moved to Cardiff
  • Options
    I care deeply about my country, but whether 'Land of my Fathers' gets played before a football match isn't something that make me worry about the state of the nation.
  • Options
    as i have said ,i'm not getting into this sort of chat on this board especialy with somone who obviously is just making stupid comments for an argument!!
  • Options
    why cause I won't get all upset by this? If you want to get all morally outraged and complain about how the country is going to the dogs by this, then fire away, I'm just not that bothered. Sorry for expressing a dissenting view.
  • Options
    It wasnt a dissenting view was it .

"what a none story" was your coment. If you have no view then why coment at all?
  • Options
    Must admit it sounds like a non-story to me as well; it's not like they aren't playing GSTQ.
    Perhaps they should play Jerusalem as-well/instead?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't see the problem with playing some kind of Welsh anthem at all. They are a Welsh team, sounds like a case of extending a courtesy to me, I am proud of Britain and England, and I am confident enough to not see the playing of another country's/region's anthem as an erosion of my national identity . If fans boo either anthem it is narrow minded BS, nothing more.
  • Options
    the anthem thing is just so unimportant, when the bigger issue for me is the European place, and the problems that will potentially cause.
  • Options
    I don't mind them playing Land of My Fathers for the Welsh fans. Why don't they play Land of Hope and Glory for the English and then finish off with God Save the Queen as everyone is part of the UK. Sorted.
  • Options
    A problem is that England does not have its own national anthem!
    GSTQ is for Britain, there should be another one just for England.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    How about playing 'Ode to Joy ' and be done with it.
  • Options
    how about getting that welsh warbler katherine jenkins to sing God Save the Queen (which she does so well) compromise :-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]A problem is that England does not have its own national anthem!
    GSTQ is for Britain, there should be another one just for England.[/quote]

That's the crux of the issue here - personally I don't like to see the English football or rugby teams singing to GSTQ - as you correctly state, it's not the English anthem but the British anthem.

I love to hear GSTQ being played at the Olympics as the Union flag is being raised and will be in Beijing for 10 days in August hoping to see that a few times but the English football and rugby teams should be singing Land of Hope of Glory or Jerusalem as the Cricket boys do - although of course Welsh, Scots and even Irish can play for the cricket team!!

It's all very complicated....
  • Options
    as you say GH Cardiff vermin will boo the anthem regardless

maybe after the Final the MPs who have been bleating on about this nonsense should be sent photographs of all the Pubs and Transport that their Welsh darlings have trashed and vandalised over London
  • Options
    how about gettin me to sing IAN RUSH HE F**KS HIS MOTHER ;-)
  • Options
    Its not about who should actually sing is it? If the national Anthem of England is GSTQ then that what should be sung its the English FA Cup Final. Its not showing disrespect to the Welsh.

As for Cardiff representing England in Europe although i dont really have a prob with this i think its correct to say the Welsh FA wouldnt let Shresbury or Chester into Europe when they won the Welsh FA Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Right, this is a BAD idea. Because....

1) This isn't Wales v England. Cardiff City is not the Welsh national team. If I was a Swansea fan I'd be spitting feathers. It doesn't help Wales to do this, it just pleases the morons who run and support Cardiff.

2) It wouldn't be so bad if England was confident enough to have its own national anthem. But the FA are too weak, and probably too scared of the Daily Mail, to do something about it. English teams should be lining up to Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory, not GSTQ. To play Land of My Fathers and GSTQ is absurd. But to play Land of My Fathers and a proper English anthem would be fine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]how about gettin me to sing IAN RUSH HE F**KS HIS MOTHER ;-)

Jesus steve that's brought back some memorys

great old song
  • Options
    I don't think GSTQ is the English national anthem though - the fact is we don't have one
    GSTQ gets used almost by default

just found this from wikipedia: "England does not have an official anthem, and so adopts "God Save the Queen", which is the United Kingdom and Commonwealth anthem. However many popular patriotic songs are sung in its place. These include "Jerusalem", "Land of Hope and Glory" and "I Vow to Thee, My Country."
  • Options
    ian rush he f**ks his mother
    ian rush he f**ks his brother
    all the welshman f**k each other
    f**k off back to wales
  • Options
    lol steve top song to be sung by us in liberal just for the sake of it
  • Options
    Let's hope the Pompey fans boo as well then.

I understand where Rothko is coming from but also where GH does as well. At the end of the day it is an ENGLISH competition and the Welsh teams chose to play in the English league. Also if I am nto mistaken didn't Chester win the welsh cup a while ago and were refused entrance to Europe by the Welsh FA. I know it shouldn't be tit for tat but when in Rome as they say.
  • Options
    Play GSTQ first - see the reaction from the Cardiff fans.
    If they whistle and boo, then just dont play the Welsh anthem.
    Make them aware of this in the programme and stadium announcements.
    If they dont get to hear the Welsh anthem its down to their own fault.
  • Options
    Thats actually a good call MrOne. Then if Pompey boo Delilah or what ever the song is it just shows them up dont it !
  • Options
    like it One Lung
  • Options
    Rothko are u a sheep shagger......ba ba ba ba