Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Varney video thats been on sky sports news this morning

Comments

• Can't open videos at work - what does he say?
  • not sure i'd like Rangers and Celtic down here but i think he's right about the premier league!
  • Its about forming a Prem 1 and 2 and inviting Rangers and Celtic into the Prem 2 and also about the Premier League not being competitive as there will always be a top 4.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Sky Sports Videos

thoughts?

Luke has aged badly since he joined me thinks ; - )

PV said the same regarding Prem 1 and Prem 2 in the programme recently and he is spot on although it just pushes the problem further down to a gap between Prem 2 and the FL

I disagree about Celtic and Rangers for a number of reasons.

The introduction of those two is to no one's benefit other than Celtic, Rangers and SkyTV.

It doesn't help the other Scottish sides as it takes the 4 big pay days and TV money away and would soon mean no Champs league place for Scotland.

It doesn't help the big four as they fill their grounds anyway and they would have to give up a slice of their TV money plus run the risk of losing out on Champs league places

It doesn't help the other English clubs in the Prem as they are likely to displace two sides from Prem 1, take more TV money with only a marginal increase in gates. Most Prem games are close to sold out in any case so two more full houses over a season when the Old Firm come to town would not compensate.

If you want Scottish teams then invite them all into a British league. The real winners will be Hearts Hibs, the Dundee sides, Aberdeen, etc who will be playing more meaningful fixtures against the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Wolves etc, and have higher income for gates and TV.
  • He is right in much of what he says, my only concern is if you create a PL 1 and 2, do you just create a huge hurdle for third tier teams to get over? As for Celtic and Rangers, I personally would like to see them join but I can't see the English Clubs allowing it or for that matter the Scottish FA//PL.
  • leave well alone enough damage has been done to football bu the monster that is the premier league

where would it stop france is close so is holland so we can take Monaco and Ajax or a few from germany how about Bayern it is all about money lets not even think about it
  • Celtic and Rangers in the English league - why?
    Whats the difference between that and inviting Lens,Werder Bremen,and Bruges into our league.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Celtic and Rangers in the English league - why?
    Whats the difference between that and inviting Lens,Werder Bremen,and Bruges into our league.
    Or Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham.

Who would have that eh?
  • Wrexham are going, so there's room for Celtic.
  • Is PV trying to create an opening for himself?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah but Wales is a Principality of England.
  • Varney getting himself in the news eh?

I notice the description underneath the screen calls him "Charlton Chairman".
  • Prem 1 and 2 is a pointless idea, all it will do is increase the gap between the "big 4" and the rest of the clubs. Creating the two leagues will just dilute the money currently washing round the premier league amongst a larger number of clubs. The top 4 will still make millions from the champions league and the rest will have less money to go on with. the bottom two leagues will be pretty much cut adrift completely as i am sure it wouldn't be long before there was a push to make prem 1 and 2 a closed shop and stop relegation from the second tier.
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]Prem 1 and 2 is a pointless idea, all it will do is increase the gap between the "big 4" and the rest of the clubs. Creating the two leagues will just dilute the money currently washing round the premier league amongst a larger number of clubs. The top 4 will still make millions from the champions league and the rest will have less money to go on with. the bottom two leagues will be pretty much cut adrift completely as i am sure it wouldn't be long before there was a push to make prem 1 and 2 a closed shop and stop relegation from the second tier.

Good points
  • How about having Prem 1, 2, 3 and 4?
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]How about having Prem 1, 2, 3 and 4?

Great idea.

And how about to stop the Champs league money distorting everything you only allow one team from each country to playing in the Champions league. Radical I know but maybe it could work.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]How about having Prem 1, 2, 3 and 4?

Basically, that's what it should be. Back to how it was.

Celtic and Rangers do enough damage to the rest of Scottish football as it is - imagine if Charlton only had 6,000 each match, but all of south-east London was full of coaches heading to Old Trafford and Anfield. If you invite those two (with all the aggravation their emotional baggage will cause), then invite Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, etc.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]leave well alone enough damage has been done to football bu the monster that is the premier league

where would it stop france is close so is holland so we can take Monaco and Ajax or a few from germany how about Bayern it is all about money lets not even think about it

The premier League is a monster spawn of the devil, the devil being Sky and its their money that has ruined the structure of football.

If Rangers and Celtic were to leave their league, it would be more sense for the idea of the North Atlantic League to be revised, but thenm where is the TV money in that.
  • Why not have Premiership 1 to 4 without any Scottish teams but with 22 clubs in divsions 1&2 and 24 in divisions 3&4. Then all we'll have to do is figure out a way of ditching the ridiculous word Premiership and bingo, we'll be back where we were when football was interesting?
  • Uefa/Fifa wouldn't tolerate a 22-club top division - they already want the leagues to slim down to 18 as it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2008
    Actually, we could always invite Calais into the English set-up - Reg could sell it as a "Kent derby"...
  • edited April 2008
    I enjoyed our time in the prem and i wanted us to get back in it

but if you look at the broarder view the day that they created this money machine was the day that real football died

there was a great programme by David Badile about footballers before they went soft it brought a tear to my eye we used to have so much more on offer it was an equal playing field for more teams and the players were more like us not the twats that we see now bstds

the younger footie fans really have had some heritage stolen by this horrible thief.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Sky Sports Videos

thoughts?

If you want Scottish teams then invite them all into a British league. The real winners will be Hearts Hibs, the Dundee sides, Aberdeen, etc who will be playing more meaningful fixtures against the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Wolves etc, and have higher income for gates and TV.

Make them all join our 4th tier (Div 2) and work their way through the leagues like every other club.
    More travel but big paydays for every little club as they fill their grounds.

Imagine Rochdale vs Celtic
    or Shrewsbury vs Rangers
    or Dagenham & Redbridge vs Dundee Utd.

Sure the minnows would get beat and the promotion places gobbled up by the big clubs.
    Then the same next year for tier 3 etc.
    But every fixture would be like a cup tie ........ ;o)
  • as for the Champions League it should be limited to the winners of the Premier League and the FA Cup

Failing that if the top 4 want a guarantee of CL every season then they can eff off and play full-time in it and leave us with a much more interesting league here.
    Even if that does mean Spurs will win it sometimes.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]as for the Champions League it should be limited to the winners of the Premier League and the FA Cup

The Champions league would do well to become:

a). For Champions
    b). A League

Or to change it's name to what it is:

'The European Cup'
  • edited April 2008
    Exactly - I don't bother with it - leave all the excitement to the armchairs supporting Man U, Liverpool etc

I do enjoy watching the Blue Square Conference games on Setanta though. Maybe I am just weird.