Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christian Vieri

never heard him speak before, until tonight on SSN they interviewed him arriving in glasgow for the uefa game with rangers, he has an aussie twangy voice with a slight italian hint in there, probably sounds a bit like tim cahill.
i always thought he was 100% italian but read on wikipedia he'd spent the early part of his life in australia.... anyway i'll bore off now!!

Comments

• Options
    also played for just the minimum wage and a goal bonus at Atalanta in a bid to prove his fitness last season

seems one of those rare "human" footballers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]never heard him speak before, until tonight on SSN they interviewed him arriving in glasgow for the uefa game with rangers, he has an aussie twangy voice with a slight italian hint in there, probably sounds a bit like tim cahill.
    i always thought he was 100% italian but read on wikipedia he'd spent the early part of his life in australia.... anyway i'll bore off now!!

Yes, he was brought to Sydney as a toddler and lived here until he was a teenager when his folks (having discovered his huge talent) decided that he would be better off in Italy where he had already attracted interest from some of the big boys.

His brother Massimo actually played for Australia and I think he is still knocking around the local leagues somewhere. Christian was offered the chance to play for Australia when he was in his early years as a pro in Italy but (not surprisingly) turned it down.

There are actually lots of young Aussie kids from ethnic backgrounds (Italian, Croatian, Greek, Serbian, Macedonian) who play junior football here and then go off to try and turn pro back in their country of origin. A few of the Croatian senior team are actually Aussie kids who decided to play for their country of origin rather than Australia, the left-back Josip Simic is definitely one of them.

Incidentally, Mark Viduka also came very close to playing for Croatia as a teenager and even played for the Aussie U-21's side as captain with red-and-white checkered captain's armband on - that did not go down too well. Viduka also has the Croatian national flag in a tiled mosaic on the bottom of his swimming pool.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]There are actually lots of young Aussie kids from ethnic backgrounds (Italian, Croatian, Greek, Serbian, Macedonian) who play junior football here and then go off to try and turn pro back in their country of origin.

Same here in Canada, there was a young lad grew up, just east of here in the football desert known as Calgary. His parents are English, his name is Owen Hargreaves.
  • Options
    Ha! Where did he end up?
  • Options
    Think Vieri falls into the "complex character" category. He scored a sackload of goals for Inter, but seemed to moan about everything all the time. He always said he'd much rather be a cricketer, although how many of them earned £100,000 a week like he did at Inter is not recorded. In the end some of the Inter fans decided to firebomb the restaurant he owned in Milan which probably didn't improve his demeanor one little bit. He got his own back by signing for AC Milan, although Inter had the best of him long before that. He plays for Fiorentina now, so Rangers might run into him in the semi. At his best, he was almost an old style English centre forward, although his right foot is strictly for standing on.
  • Options
    how bad was he last night , didn't see all the game i think he came on as a sub, his touch was awful and he was so slow and lethargic up front he wouldn't look out of place playing for us!!
    as for his penalty miss .......
  • Options
    missing from 3 yds was poor, andy townsend called him a pub player
  • Options
    Well past it now. Was the miss with his right foot? He missed one in the 2002 world cup with that which defied the laws of physics. Bet he still blamed everyone else....
  • Options
    As there is mention of Australians from various European ethnic backgrounds, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned perhaps the greatest of them all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saša_Ilić_(footballer_born_1972)
  • Options
    His pen did he stop in his run up or did he run out of breath ?