Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rotherham near folding....

if no buyer is found by 5pm.

Very sad to hear

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rotherham_utd/7354203.stm

Comments

• We've been there which is easy to forget now.

It's a more hostile business world now though.

Let's hope a miracle happens, those two directors cobble something acceptable together and they're saved.
  • Sad and a symptom of the crazy world of football economics. Man U's wage bill for next year is reckoned to be around £90m, Chelsea are throwing money away like it's going out of fashion and another lower league club is struggling to pay their bills.
  • With the countless millions that are flying around in football at the moment, it's a crying shame that they're likely to go to the wall for a few hundred grand.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Sad and a symptom of the crazy world of football economics. Man U's wage bill for next year is reckoned to be around £90m, Chelsea are throwing money away like it's going out of fashion and another lower league club is struggling to pay their bills.

that's just their wage bill on 4 players over the next 4 years !!, Ronaldo, Carrick, Ferdinand and Wes Brown !!

Wes Brown FFS....is reported to be on the verge of signing a 4 year deal worth £60k a week, double what he's currently on.....now if anyone can find me a luckier bloke than him !!!, how someone with such limited ability can pull the wool over Fergie's eyes for so long is beyond me.
  • Scarborough folded and they made a lot of money from an FA Cup tie against Chelsea which was meant to keep them going for years.

I hope the same doesn't happen to Rotherham. They were doing well a few years back when Ronnie Moore was manager.
  • Ronnie Moore -- i put me quid in for Ronnie. great bloke.
  • Me too ...... then turned up at The Valley, home to Derby, beat them 1-0.
    Ronnie Moore made his home debut, can't remember if he scored.

How do I remember this? My daughter was conceived in the morning. Then I went to see the match. ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Me too ...... then turned up at The Valley, home to Derby, beat them 1-0.

How do I remember this? My daughter was conceived in the morning. Then I went to see the match. ;o)

So your daughter must be 25 on 24th June then?

Ronnie Moore did indeed score the goal for us Oggy. about ten minutes after Derby had a player sent of. 5,638 packed into The Valley for that one.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Me too ...... then turned up at The Valley, home to Derby, beat them 1-0.

So your daughter must be 25 on 24th June then?

Ronnie Moore did indeed score the goal for us Oggy. about ten minutes after Derby had a player sent of. 5,638 packed into The Valley for that one.

So it wasn't just me that scored that day........!

Actually, Jen will be 24 on 14th June - she was due on the 24th June (horror ex-mother in law's birthday) but was induced early. Ronnie Moore signed for us Sept 1983, so I'm just a little better at sums than you, Addicted ....but nice try, mate!

;o)
  • I know the lads that loved premiershit football wouldn't accept this but....... How is this allowed to happen? I thought Leeds would be an example but the greedy arsewipes in the higher echelons do not honestly give anywhere near a shit about the rest of us. If anyone is in any doubt about the mess the English game is in that is a rough example
  • Sponsored links:

• was there at millmoor when warman missed penalty
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I know the lads that loved premiershit football wouldn't accept this but....... How is this allowed to happen? I thought Leeds would be an example but the greedy arsewipes in the higher echelons do not honestly give anywhere near a shit about the rest of us. If anyone is in any doubt about the mess the English game is in that is a rough example

The thing is though, even if you bunged em a couple of mill to keep them safe they'd only go out and spunk it on players fees and salaries - and that's what the fans would want anyway. A lot of lower division clubs are run so badly it isn't true.
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I know the lads that loved premiershit football wouldn't accept this but....... How is this allowed to happen? I thought Leeds would be an example but the greedy arsewipes in the higher echelons do not honestly give anywhere near a shit about the rest of us. If anyone is in any doubt about the mess the English game is in that is a rough example

The thing is though, even if you bunged em a couple of mill to keep them safe they'd only go out and spunk it on players fees and salaries - and that's what the fans would want anyway. A lot of lower division clubs are run so badly it isn't true.

I partly agree with both of you.

Carter, just because people like me and ooh ah want to watch our team at the top level ,after years of watching crap punctuated by enjoying the occasional good player only to see him sold on, it doesn't mean we approve of the way football is financed. If we have to suffer football's soul being sold to Sky then ALL league clubs should benefit rather than Prem clubs getting telephone numbers, Championship clubs getting a miniscule fraction of that and league one and two clubs getting a fraction of Championship money.

Off_it football clubs have long lived in a fantasy world economically as you point out. Supposedly part time players in leagues like the Ryman "earn£" £300 or £400 a week! These are clubs that are lucky to get 500 people paying less than a tenner a head.

However if the Sky millions were more equitably distributed clubs like Rotherham would have more of a chance.

Edit: If this is incomprehensible I've had a few drinks!
  • I take your point Len, but if you lobbed the Rotherham's of this world more dough what would they do with it?

It's sad, it's somene's club, but it's as if these people nver learn their lesson.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I take your point Len, but if you lobbed the Rotherham's of this world more dough what would they do with it?

It's sad, it's somene's club, but it's as if these people nver learn their lesson.

There speaks an accountant:-)

I'm trying to pretend I'm not one!
  • Don't you swear at me Leonard!
    ;o)
    I am NOT an accountant, thankfully!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Don't you swear at me Leonard!
    ;o)
    I am NOT an accountant, thankfully!

You still doing the VAT?
  • Us on our high horses want to be careful, we (in my humble opinion) are not a million miles away from being deeply in the shite.

I would love to see us doubling the yids again but I'm well realistic about what goes around with Charlton and we have been well lucky to have seen the 'glory years'. However we are where we are????

It's not the end of the world. Just imagine being a Luton/Rotherham fan at the moment
  • I am indeed Len. It's still 17.5% by the way - unless you're buying a Marks & Sparks teacake, of course!
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Us on our high horses want to be careful, we (in my humble opinion) are not a million miles away from being deeply in the shite.

I would love to see us doubling the yids again but I'm well realistic about what goes around with Charlton and we have been well lucky to have seen the 'glory years'. However we are where we are????

It's not the end of the world. Just imagine being a Luton/Rotherham fan at the moment

As I said above we've been there before. People like Richard Collins and Derek Ufton will remember that even if the others don't.

I'm pretty confident that as fans they will know our history.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I am indeed Len. It's still 17.5% by the way - unless you're buying a Marks & Sparks teacake, of course!

The reason I ask is that you said you changed jobs a while back.

I thought you might have joined the good rather than the bad and ugly:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Us on our high horses want to be careful, we (in my humble opinion) are not a million miles away from being deeply in the shite.

agree wth all of that - especially the bit about us being one step away from the brown stuff.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Us on our high horses want to be careful, we (in my humble opinion) are not a million miles away from being deeply in the shite.

agree wth all of that - especially the bit about us being one step away from the brown stuff.

Hopefully they are more aware of that than most football directors. They sold Reid and farmed out Bent m and Faye which suggests they've got some sort of handle on financial reality even if, as fans, a case could be argued for keeping Reid.
  • We cannot be far from it.

Money doesn't grown on trees and perhaps we may realise how generous our directors have been. One day, one day maybe
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]We cannot be far from it.

Money doesn't grown on trees and perhaps we may realise how generous our directors have been. One day, one day maybe

We've certainly got to be careful but we have guys on board who have seen the brown stuff before so hopefully they will steer us in the right direction.
  • I hope so mate
  • well have they folded or has someone saved em?