Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

QPR vs. Charlton - Memories & Connections

WSSWSS
edited April 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.clubfanzine.com/QPR/showNews.php?id=10363

Found this a bit interesting - liked the "fan's memories" at the end.

What are our memories of the games etc between the two clubs?

Comments

• Options
    I remember being at Loftus Road in 1987/88 and seeing Nicky Johns (playing for them) celebrating in front of us after they scored one of their goals in a 2-0 win.

I had idolised Johns when he played for us so seeing that was very hard to take even though I now realise he was only a pro and did not have any allegiance to us.
  • Options
    Remember the Dundee mob getting chucked out from behind the goal at Loftus Rd - the Met Police couldn't understand how they could possibly be supporting Charlton with their broad Scottish accents.

Think the match itself was a non-event and 0-0, though not sure!

Also remember losing 3-0 there one time a long while ago.
  • Options
    No Weegie, I am pretty sure that it was the 2-0 game when Johns played for them that the Dundee mob got kicked out, that was the height of the Dundee-Charlton thing and I am sure I remember that ginger Dundee fan getting dragged away by the Met in the 2nd half.

I went to all four leagues games at Loftus in the Lennie Division One days and we drew 0-0 in 86/87 (Fenwick got sent-off), lost 2-0 in 87/88 and 88/89 and then won 1-0 (Morts) in 1989/90 early on in the season and I remember thinking that we would have no relegation worries that year....

Still, I always enjoyed going there, its a proper football ground despite its Meccano like structure and the closed in nature makes for a good atmosphere.

I bloody hated that plastic pitch though!!!
  • Options
    Agreed Ormy, a proper old dated football ground.

Didn't we score 4 there about 10 years ago ? Bradley Allen scoring for us ?
  • Options
    remeber singing a song about someone wearing glasses (very strange).
    also when they laid the grass pitch back, i remember it hadn't bedded in properly and players kept losing their footing, bringing up massive lumps of turf.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    was the first away ground i saw us win at, with my Dad. Mike Kenning scored 2 we won 4 v 1.

League Cup the year QPR came runners up in the top division. Colin Powell run them ragged and scored. Stan Bowles scored for them.

The rubber pitch. saw a throw in bounce like a beach wobbly ball and go over the bar.We lost 5 v 1.

The Welling Skins in the Loft. We lost 4 v O

In the Ro Buck after a game when the song Alice Alice was about . Us singing "who the f**k are Palarse to it" on the juke box. QPR laughing and then joining whenit came on again. Whole pub singing.
  • Options
    Been there countless times. First memory was a thumping 4-1 in the late 60's early 70's. The 'Rodney is a fairy' era from the mid-70's was quite a laugh but the plastic pitch era was a joke. One evening game we lost 5-0 and I got chucked out for jumping up and down whilst trying to keep warm.
  • Options
    Got thrown out at the Valley against them in the 82/83 season. It was the year when el tel was in charge and they p*ssed the division. They beat us 3-1 and towards the end they caught us offside for the umpteenth time that night. I was at the back of the east teraace and shouted out "b*llocks" A copper grabbed me by the hair and marched me out the exit, taking a handful of hair in the process. I was in 'kin agony!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite] taking a handful of hair in the process. I was in 'kin agony!
    And he still hasnt given it back. ;-)
  • Options
    not QPR, but when fulham were playing at loftus road, we had an early ko (sunday i think).
    we were given the nod that a certain pub would be open earlier than the then legal noon opening time.
    waited outside the pub for ages (like idiots) at about 10 oclock. then decide to follow someone through a side gate which, via an alleyway took us into the pub back door. the place was packed and there were people asleep on seats, i am sure they'd been there all night. had a good beer, went back after the match to watch the celtic v rangers game. top drinking day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember a League Cup game at their place & we were crusing at 1-0 up then Peter Shirtliff got sent off & Trevor Francis scored Two late goals, the 2nd a fabulous overhead kick to knock us out. So Typical Charlton !
  • Options
    I remember us playing them towards the end of the season needing a win to keep our hopes alive of staying in Div 1 I think we won 2-1 a Danny maddix OG and i cant remember the other scorer but Andy Jones or Leaburn spring to mind.
  • Options
    "I remember us playing them towards the end of the season needing a win to keep our hopes alive of staying in Div 1 I think we won 2-1 a Danny maddix OG and i cant remember the other scorer but Andy Jones or Leaburn spring to mind."

Colin Walsh pen (1st pen of the season)
  • Options
    The game you are referring to was the last league game of the season (1986/87) at Selhurst. We needed a win to avoid the drop and to go into the play offs. This was the first season the play off system was introduced. The team who finshed 4th from bottom would go into the play off along with 3 teams from the div below. We beat QPR 2-1 that day (Walsh pen and Crooks getting the 2nd). That win took us into the plays off beating Ipswich over 2 legs in the semi finals and then the famous Leeds games.

I could not understand while Colin Walsh took the pen that day as Mark Reid aways took them. Walsh went on to liss a pen in the 1st leg paly off at Ipswich.
  • Options
    A memory but an incomplete one. I remember the 'Rodney is a fairy' game well. I also remember QPR scoring a controversial goal while our keeper was laying flat out for some time before they scored (it wouldn't happen now!). Who can remember who the keeper was?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]was the first away ground i saw us win at, with my Dad. Mike Kenning scored 2 we won 4 v 1.

That was a quality game - and really unexpected.

We'd been bottom of the League and really struggling. Then the week before, we'd beaten table topping Cardiff City 2-1.

Went to Loftus Road on a dank listless grey afternoon, then that Mike Kenning double - didn't that lightweight Denis Bond even score?
    Ran them off the pitch before they scored a late consolation.

Now we were out of the relegation bottom two, and as the fixture list often pans out, we next played 2nd bottom Blackburn at the Valley. After leading early on, we ended up getting thumped 4-2 - and back at the bottom.

The life of the Charlton supporter, eh?
    It has ever been thus........ ;o)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]A memory but an incomplete one. I remember the 'Rodney is a fairy' game well. I also remember QPR scoring a controversial goal while our keeper was laying flat out for some time before they scored (it wouldn't happen now!). Who can remember who the keeper
    was?

Wasn't that the 3-3 draw with QPR at The Valley, Feb 1968?

Ron Willis was the keeper, hospitalised soon after halftime, making his debut. The other debutant that day was 17 year old John Stenson in midfield, who later went on to become a hack journalist for the Sunday Peephole.

The only appearance for Charlton 1st team for both players.

www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3952&page=1#Item_16
    (Frickn hell, I posted the link, yeah, ME!!! Just followed AFKA's school lessons)

Home & Away also did a thread on the legendary 4-1 away win at Loftus Road a couple of years later.
    I haven't got time to search for it now, soz.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Two particular memories of games at QPR.

Gary Poole (remember him?) scoring a great goal from about 20-25 yards and then Bradley Allen scoring the winner for us and people nearly spilling over the front of the upper tier.

Also remember when Tommy Docherty was in charge there and the singing by the Charlton fans of `Who's up Mary Brown?' to the tune of Knees up Mother Brown when he walked up the touchline. Even he was shaking his head and smiling!

For those who don't know the story - he had previously been widely reported in the Sunday papers as having an affair with the wife of the Man U physio Laurie Brown.
  • Options
    Oggy Red - I think that's the one - the 3-3 draw.

I remember John Stenson, who was a schoolboy international and tipped as being the next big thing. He scored regularly for the reserves but never got any further than that really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Oggy Red - I think that's the one - the 3-3 draw.

I remember John Stenson, who was a schoolboy international and tipped as being the next big thing. He scored regularly for the reserves but never got any further than that really.

Have a gander at the thread, Thai ........ there were a few other posters there as well, with recollections.

Absolute classic struggling Charlton fight back against table topping team - and with only 10 men and no proper goalkeeper. Bing's first match too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    My main memories are of still queueing to get in the ground ages after kick-off because they only have one turnstile to process the entire away end. Match after match. I stopped going because of that reason.
  • Options
    the 4-2 win over them in 97 - Chapple scoring a barnstorming header right in front of us - as we were sat right behind the net.
  • Options
    There was a match at Selhurst in the late 80s where Mickey Bennett went in hard for a 50-50 ball and crocked himself, and the result injury time meant we were still playing at 5 o'clock when Gritty equalised with a shot (from the edge of the area?) into the top corner. My sister went out with a QPR fan a couple of years later, and he was still moaning about the injustice of it.

I also have vague memories of going to Loftus Road with the Junior Reds and one of our group inadvertently knocking a box full of our stuff off the wall at the front of the upper tier, which just missed braining someone on the terracing below.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Remember the Dundee mob getting chucked out from behind the goal at Loftus Rd - the Met Police couldn't understand how they could possibly be supporting Charlton with their broad Scottish accents.

Think the match itself was a non-event and 0-0, though not sure!

Also remember losing 3-0 there one time a long while ago.[/quote]

i was with the Dundee boys that day,one of my mates got nicked for knocking a old bills helmet off when they started throwing out the Dundee boys.That put an end to our ambitions of going Germany in 1988
  • Options
    Remember a league cup tie in the 70s where we drew 1-1 at Loftus Road and lost 3-0 in the replay. QPR were 2nd in the 1st division (old money) at the time and couldn't believe how well we played in the 1st match Paddy Powell especially. I was only a kid at the time and it was my first away match so my memory may be a little rose tinted!
  • Options
    Not a happy hunting ground, only seen 1 win, Morts winner late 80's.

Mendonca made his last appearance for us at Loftus against QPR, 1999......I think.
  • Options
    Hi guys, I don't know any QPR fans or have any connections but if anyone does then I happen to have a signed QPR shirt if anyone wants to purchase it, bit pointless having it as I'm a Charlton fan. Also a bit pointless being a Charlton fan!
  • Options
    Anyone remember the Trevor Francis goal at Loftus Road ?
  • Options
    yeah remember the 1-1 at loftus road , paddy ran the show and scored , but stan bowles scored a free kick equaliser at the death. packed terrace behind the goal