Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

South London pubs expired

edited April 2008 in Not Sports Related
RIP

I found this link while searchig for something else.

Someone might have posted this before but lots of old local pubs in there.

Comments

• Options
    So many shut was around Sandy Hill area teh other week so many pubs that were there are now houses or flats crazy counted 4
  • Options
    Curb-It was posted once before but thanks been loking fot it for ages.

How sad is that though looking at your memories wiped out ? 12 of those boozers i have been in some very often.

Crown and Cush was indeed a skinhead haunt in the 1980 and was run by an old CAFC face called Mick Mac (RIP).

The Barnaby was in Ilderton Rd and was Millwalls main pub when they used to play at then Den.

The Railway in Slade Green was my Grandads last local (RIP).

Two more at least in Deptford The Brown Bear (ex IRA hang out) and Noahs Arc which is a solicitors now.
  • Options
    Brings a tear to the eye. So many of those were real boozers.

On a positive note, The Park Tavern in Eltham has re-opened and is apparently ok. My wife is going there tomorrow night!
  • Options
    should we pop along dave keep an eye onher for you mate ?
  • Options
    I'm very upset that The Woolwich Infant has closed.....lol
  • Options
    My mates dad owned the Infant for years way back. He now has the Prince in Belevedere.
  • Options
    Director General thats gone now.
  • Options
    The Victoria in Charlton had the most funnist/bizarre landlord i have ever seen.
  • Options
    I agree. John who used to run the Victoria in Charlton was a right character!!! The place was a right dump but had a real charm about it.
  • Options
    and .......... The Dover Patrol, The King's Arms Eltham, The Yorkshire Grey, The Roebuck, The White Swan Greenwich, The Paviors Arms Victoria, The Brook, The Garden Gate, .........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the pullman woowlich always used the be fun
  • Options
    I am sure I went passed the Ship on Plumstead common last week and it was open....?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]should we pop along dave keep an eye onher for you mate ?

You won't be able to keep your eye off her, not once she starts her pole dancing.
  • Options
    The crown and cushion on woolwich lower road was the nutts in the early 90's that along with the Gatehouse on the dockyard was where i learnt my trade as an alcy chav all those years back and and i mean this honestly where the best days of my life b4 i got married and got NLJR.

I thank you Ken RIP crown and Cushion

Tom & Una in the Gatehouse many many thanks for many Kites cashed and pillows provided for me once i passed out on the sofas come 2 or 3 am on lock ins i think Tom went on to run the Blue boy in bermondsy when the Pink pound took over the gatehouse.

proper people nice booze great days
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Bro the crown and cushion was a great laugh husling the squadies, your mate cant remember his name on the pool table me on the dart board then when they got a little irate you and your mates got to have a scrap with em lol good old days dont forget when the whole place went and stormed the cath club after you got done by that 30 year old you only about 18 i think dad locked in the office fights all over the club. you were a bit wild then bro lol
  • Options
    I remember when Ken had a "box" on the power supply and it blew up ! LEB guys turned up and found it, so they were going to call OB but it was "suggested" they might like to forget about it. They agreed.

Sunday was the night Mic Mac used to do the music. People used to come from all over London.
  • Options
    GH top nite most weekends

Eddie always good for a scrap her majesties finest but we gave as good as we got most nights they couldnt scrap without a gun but the nurses from the army hospital on the common who were fed up with drunk nothn squaddies wanting a grope couldnt wait for some of sth londons finest felas that is for sure
  • Options
    nla i used to drink in the crown and cushion, from about 96 to 99, got in there most fridays, great pub great crack, always used to have beef with the union which is accross the road just behind the amazingly colours block of offices opposite
  • Options
    and how the hell does the pheasant stay open, when i was there the bikers used to demand a bucket to piss in rather then go to the gents.
  • Options
    just got petrol and some london pride from opposite the pheasant, used to use that on saturdays nights at the time i used the crown and cushion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cud get two pints of best for a quid when i was in there
  • Options
    haha, quality that must of been a blast haha

used to cost me £1.80 for a pint of fosters, its all i drank in the pre stella days!
  • Options
    Looking at the The Crown and Cusion now saddens the soul. a once truely buzzing pub closed and looking like its about to go to flats any time now what has happend to our pub culture i used to be in there on a friday from midday straight from work leave at 4ish quick SSS and back on the piss until as late as ken would let you, MCS were you there when the welsh fella worked behind the Junp with Kens missus after he died i think his name was John. That was the begining of the end for me Ken made it what it was he was as tough as they come but proper decent with it there was hundreds at his funeral.

Then most of us moved to the Gate House now that had 2 or 3 great years especially the Gatehouse pubcrawl at xmas when every boozer from Burrage Road back to the Dockyard had to be visited and an item removed from each one to prove that you all went there never ever made it to all of them but did get a Dart board from one of the pubs in the dip by the army barracks only for Tom (landlord of Gatehouse) come and wake me xmas morning and drive me to the pub to give it back aparently i was the forth person he had had to get up xmas day to return items that pubs couldnt do with out great times
  • Options
    Here are some more from where I used to live....

Wellsley Hillreach woolwich

Star Woolwich

Army and Navy and Admiral Francis St Woolwich

Edinburgh Arms Samuel Street Woolwich

SPOOKS Powis St Woolwich

Does anyone know if the Bull is still open around the back of Woolwich Arsenal Train Station?
  • Options
    Yeah it is
  • Options
    Plumstead...The Fort Tavern, The Bag O' Nails, The Cambridge, the 2 on Barnfield
  • Options
    This thread is the saddest ever and I genuinely have a lump in my throat, what has happened to our traditional way of life?
  • Options
    It is Sad Erik

Its only going to get worse
  • Options
    Whilst the barracks were there Woolwich could sustain that many boozers - It is not just about the demographic change as the same happened to Walmer once the marine barracks shut in 1996. Up to a thousand drinkers disapeared overnight more or less and around a dozen pubs have shut there since.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Erik_Bloodaxe[/cite]Plumstead...The Fort Tavern, The Bag O' Nails, The Cambridge, the 2 on Barnfield
    [cite]Posted By: Erik_Bloodaxe[/cite]Plumstead...The Fort Tavern, The Bag O' Nails, The Cambridge, the 2 on Barnfield

The Oak and Lord Bloomfield in Barnfield.....The Oak was once called the Den of iniquity...and I got shot in the Bag of Nails.....ah those were the days!