Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jellied eels....

edited April 2008 in Not Sports Related
Discuss..

Comments

• Never tried it.
  • love them,proper london food
  • georgeous not you nolly the eels
  • he he
  • nope not for me this one tried it gagged gave up
  • Prefer Stewed eels
  • coming from a big sarf london family any family do , wedding, xmas etc there was always jellied eels. Never liked em myself. pie and mash ok. Winkles ok.Welks no thanks.
    Used to get jellied eels as a treat for my old man when he was ill. We used to catch them near Deptford creak and the old boys would cook and jelly em.
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Prefer Stewed eels

for one so young you have adult tastes
  • georgeous love them

Pie and Smash i used to go to in DAlston used to have them live on teh window seal
  • Pie mash & liquor, one of my favorite meals...............got a nice old skool shop on leyton high street where im working at the mo, but limit myself to monday and friday sittings, mon: treat for turning in to work, fri: treat for finishing a week's work, then out on the lash ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• pie mash and liquir loads of pepper and viniger washed down with a nice cup of rosie whilst reading the current bun heaven
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]pie mash and liquir loads of pepper and viniger washed down with a nice cup of rosie whilst reading the current bun heaven

sure is
  • cant even stomach trying them.

Pie and Mash on the other hand is food from the gods...

There's one near my work on Exmouth Market. Had to stop, it got to be a bit of a habit....
  • Talking Pie & Mash

Anyone know of any near St James Park?

Fancy it today
  • you'll probably have to go to Exmouth market (farringdon tube), Ladbroke grove, Shepherds bush or Camden.

Never been to the west London ones but Camden is a bit poor - Exmouth Market is good.
  • now ya talking Gump - pwoper london grub. LOVE 'EM LOVE 'EM LOVE'EM
  • chilli vinigar mmmmmmmmmmm.............role on friday!!
  • edited April 2008
    squirmy little ****ers - first job was in a fishmongers down Evelina Road in Nunhead - used to have to pull them live out the tank and brain them for the old black women that live round there - they wanted them fresh. Absolute bloody nightmare trying to grab hold of a specific one - they used to come in and point to one out of about forty writhing around in a bucket - trying to grab hold of the one specific eel they wanted was impossible so I used to lie and say "of course love" when they asked if it was the one they had picked out...

Absolutely hate the sight of them as a result, and never liked the taste of them anyway. Now whelks and cockles - that's a different matter - God's own snack foods they are.

Lovely pie and mash shop just round the corner from where I used to work in Camden - Pie, 2 mash & gravy with a bit of hot pepper sauce - my mouth's watering!
  • Tried jellied eels for the first time was a New Years Eve bash in Essex back in 2002 and wondered if I would get the change to try such a thing again as there aint such a delicacy in the North. CHarlton played Ipswich TOwn the next day.... (bag hangover)

Moving down to the Isle of Thanet in Feb 07 gave me the chance to try it again along with cockles,whelks and pint of prawns. Sadly my tenure lasted another 3 months before I returned oop Norf. I really missed the cockles. Even tried Oysters.

I did visit Ramsgate last January and the first thing when I got there was to have some jellied eels on the sea front.

That was same weekend as Medders 30th.

Great weekend all round.
  • Binkses or Godards in deptford High st, great pie and mash. the Godards that used to be near the Curry sark is now a noodle shop.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Binkses or Godards in deptford High st, great pie and mash. the Godards that used to be near the Curry sark is now a noodle shop.

they've re-opened - well they've opened a stall in the market bit next to the Nat West bank and Cafe Rouge.
  • Jellied eels - no thanks.
    Pie Mash and Liquor, bring it on.
    Going home from school at lunchtimes meant every Weds was pie mash and liquor
    from Kellys down Bethnal Green Road - fantastic

Dont understand people who have it with gravy instead of liquor though.