Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

lard

edited April 2008 in Not Sports Related
did anyone use this,my first real ex did in sunday dinners,slowly killing me in the process,disgusting stuff,we are in agreement on that i take it?

Comments

• Have to be honest, its something i've never really been subject to in any home cooking. Stuff looks rank tho.
  • never got the point of it but my old man swore that it was the secret ingrediant to his his sunday dinners and i must admit i aint had better since he died Sorry wife and mum
  • orrible stuff.

Slightly better than cheese though.
  • bro i know what you mean about the sunday dinners
  • My grandad (died years ago) once tried to make me eat bread and beef dripping when I was a kid, seriously revolting
  • My mum used it all the time when I was growing up. Her chips were fantastic. My dad used to take dripping sandwiches to work on Mondays which was, for the young'uns on here, basically lard and meat juices from the sunday roast.
  • its a weight gainer
  • should be illegal really
  • Dripping and marmite toast. Loved it as a kid!
  • did you have weight issues len?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]did you have weight issues len?

Not until my late 40s and after because increasingly frequent arthritic attacks have stopped me exercising properly.
  • no just saying when i ate it i put on a ton,lard is a right weight gainer,arthritis is a horrible thing gets people of all ages.
  • I use solid vegetable oil, which is a healthy alternative to cook roast potatos/yorkshire puddings etc. looks like lard.
    can't bear fat or oils on any food.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]no just saying when i ate it i put on a ton,lard is a right weight gainer,arthritis is a horrible thing gets people of all ages.

I'm lucky in that so far mine is acute rather than chronic so I get respite from it but just as I get back into running I get another bout which restricts me for a week or two and i'm back to square one.

Hence I'm now a bit of a fat git!
  • tried acupunture? my mate swears by it on the condition.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]tried acupunture? my mate swears by it on the condition.

I've not. To be honest I try to stay as far away from any form of medic as possible unless things get too painful.
  • well i have a number if you ever want it.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]well i have a number if you ever want it.

Cheers nolly i'll bear that in mind.
  • Heart attack fuel - not for me!
  • lard - essential for really good shortcrust pie pastry, there is nothing better

arthritis - i have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left ankle - caused by a fracture just above the ankle 10 years ago :-( - found I could hardly walk for a day after playing football, least i now know what it is, but not sure how its gonna affect me in the future
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]lard - essential for really good shortcrust pie pastry, there is nothing better

arthritis - i have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left ankle - caused by a fracture just above the ankle 10 years ago :-( - found I could hardly walk for a day after playing football, least i now know what it is, but not sure how its gonna affect me in the future

sorry to hear that mate - hopefully it won't stop you playing. My ankle is in bits and sometimes I struggle to get around after playing so maybe I should get along to the quack - something I really must say I do not enjoy.
  • Stuff is a heart attack waiting toi happen but it does make great chips
  • as for Sunday

Goose fat is the best for your spuds witha littlee black pepper and course sea salt