Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On yer bike

I realise that not that many people on here know me, but here goes anyway....

In about 3 weeks time I'm going to be part of a crack team of middle aged, slightly overweight and largey unfit chaps who are cycling down to St Emilion for charity. It's going to be bloomin hard work - not least because I haven't been on a bike in nearly 20 years and so I'd appreciate any support people can offer to the charity (National Children's Homes).

I've not set a high target as a) I don't like asking for money and b) I fully intend to be in the support van from day 2....but if anyone would like to support me, that would be fantastic and very much appreciated...

I have been reading AFKAs tutorial and I don't appear have any formatting options above my comments box, so I'm just going to give this a go and if it goes wrong, then I apologise, but hopefully you'll get the gist of the address and may be able to find it for yourself...

http://www.justgiving.com/matt-sorebackside-owen

Cheers all

Comments

• Options
    Its below your box!! I've fixed it for you and good luck with the ride.
  • Options
    links wrong mate
  • Options
    You need to take out the charltonlife bit... but i worked it out.

I notice that Justgiving now ask if the donation has come from a rafflet etc. so no getting away with extra tax aid!

Good luck Matt - how long is that going to take?
  • Options
    Thanks Curb_It... it's going to take 5 days, with an average distance of something like 120 miles per day...so far I have managed 20 miles in training...this is not going to be good.. :-(
  • Options
    Seriously er dont you think you shoudl have trained harder... its not just going to be your arse that hurts!
  • Options
    sod that Matt - good luck to ya anyway
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Thanks Curb_It... it's going to take 5 days, with an average distance of something like 120 miles per day...so far I have managed 20 miles in training...this is not going to be good.. :-(

Ouch..

Good luck anyway!
  • Options
    Thanks Ledge and Stanmore...I just keep telling myself I'll be fine ;-)
  • Options
    f##k me mate! i do 6 miles on my bike to work and 6 miles back - and that kills me!!!

good luck!!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    CC is trying to do the Razil method of very little training, I keep telling him to train but he doesn't listen, but then again he does have the advantage of a support vehicle, I therefore think sponsorship should be on the % of mileage he actually achieves of the total...? Then I might even fork out..

:D

Good luck to him tho of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's all down hill isn't it??
  • Options
    Good luck Matt... probably wont here me as gone already.
  • Options
    Done it..

5 of the hardest days of my life, but great fun and extremely rewarding... Cycled anything from 110kms to 150kms each day, averaging about 25kms an hour... Managed to keep up with the pack (which made the peddling easier) apart from on the hills, where I got left woefully behind...fortunately one other had been using the Jade Goody approach to training and so the pack ended up (mainly) waiting for us both at the top of each hill. Ended up in St Emillion - a very picturesque hill top town in the middle of wine country - recommend it for a weekend away..

Backside not taken this much of a hammering since Amsterdam in '98 (ooerr) and knees gave me grief, but otherwise no real ailments to report and already planning for next year...

Best thing about it is that betwen the 10 of us we raised approx. £20k for NCH.

Cheers
    CC
  • Options
    Superb effort Matt and 20k makes it worth the pain i'm sure (kind of).

Well done all ten involved.
  • Options
    Bloody hell mate..... well done....
  • Options
    good luck fella
  • Options
    Well done mate !

Im having me lunch at mo but in awhile do tell about the amsterdam bit !
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I missed this first time round Matty.

You trying to tell me you did all that without using the support vehicle ?

I know what a mincy girly tart you are so can't believe it for a second !
  • Options
    That is a fabulous achievement. Well done.
  • Options
    Cheers AFKA.....am indeed a tart, but can confirm that I didn't use the support vehicle once...was sorely (literally) tempted, but was doing it for the kids!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
    love the way people say kms instead of miles to make it seem further.... but seriously, well done mate.
  • Options
    did you have padded shorts on? my bum hurts after an hours spin?
  • Options
    Mr R - I was in France - they measure things in kms I'm afraid.... I think in miles it was between 75 and 105 per day.
  • Options
    no mean feat, but am assuming you had all your gear in the van.. and not on the back in paniers?

;)

(competitive, moi?)

Seriously though its a great achivement.
  • Options
    well done Charlie!
  • Options
    Top achievement Matt, well done mate.
  • Options
    Well done...
  • Options
    Congratulations Mr. O - as a keen mountain biker I salute you! Don't listen to Razil by the way, his bike ride was all downhill, I don't think he pedaled once :-)
  • Options
    Congrats sir. Well done, never done anything like that.
  • Options
    Congrats mate, missed this first time round. Put my £20 that was for WorldNet in the pot for the charity