Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Louis Thearoux Last night

edited April 2008 in Not Sports Related
Anyone see this, fat Americans shooting game in Africa, the game was breed for hunting? $40k for a Lion and £50k for a Rhino, mad me feel sick!!! Justifying the hunting this one cock said 'its man versus wild animal', hunt it without the gun or crossbow then!!!

Comments

• watched it to. shocking isn't it.

glad he couldn't go through with it! those poor animals, and posing with them afterwards.
  • I'm glad I didn't see it....I'd have been raging.....

Sick.
  • WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    I thought they put a very good argument for it to be honest.

I think if i was given the opportunity to shoot an animal I think I could do. Not want to do it, but could.

If they didnt exist these "hunting parks" it would be interesting to see the numbers of animals that existed in South Africa as it seems in other countries, such as Zimbabwe - animals have completely died out - according to the people on it.

Another point is that this is a culture difference, hunting is part of the culture and a way of making money for themselves. All the meat is given to local villages as well which I thought was quite commendable.

The yanks enjoyed it a bit too much for my liking, when they came back cheering etc.

Who is an "eat it but won't kill it" type person?

Again, I think it is hypocritical to say yeah, "but cows are made for meat" but then disagree with animals that are bred for hunting. Why should we value a lion's life over a chicken's life etc?

If in England for example, you could go into a field with cows, lambs, chickens and kill them, would this be right? Does it make any difference whether they are shot with a crossbow and/or a gun and die within 5 seconds or got carted off to an abbatoir, electrode in the mouth, throat slit, neck broken etc?

Devil's Advocate here.
  • I did think they put up a good argument, but clearly its a 'trophy' its a sport/game, and thats not why we breed and kill animals for food.

its deemed as fun, and I can't just get myself past that fact. Those animals were beautiful and much better feeding in the bush rather than stuck on someones wall.

I'm an eat it but won't kill it person, quite proud to say that. I just don't think i could physically shoot something and enjoy it.

I do respect that shouty guy though for saying its his culture, and its ok for him to do it, he was a bit of a loon, but did understand what he meant.

we also thought it was hilarious that when looking for the Zebra that he thought he "got a good shot" at that the people were looking at the floor. it did look funny. obviously they were looking for blood, but maybe they bred minature zebra :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I did think they put up a good argument, but clearly its a 'trophy' its a sport/game, and thats not why we breed and kill animals for food.
    Yep, I think thats the main point.

Maybe the farmers will shut up about not getting enough money if they allowed people to come in and shoot a cow for £100.

Sorry.
  • His dads books are the dogs if your intrested in travel or "people watching" (the legal kind).

Riding The Red Rooster or The Old Patagoian Express are two good ones.
  • Saw the trailer for the programme and thought they were shooting wild game so deliberately didn't watch it. But if the game is bred for the purpose I go with the argument that its morally no different from killing a cow. The argument is then about whether its right for people to get pleasure from the killing. I eat meat and I fish for trout that has been bred and stocked in a lake for the purpose. I eat wild trout if I catch it in Scotland where the balance of nature can sustain it. I don't get pleasure from killing a fish but from catching it and knowing I will be able to enjoy eating it. There is a difference between being able to kill an animal for food and enjoying killing an animal. I would not catch a fish kill it and throw it away.
    Suzi is proud that she couldn't kill anything but if Suzi was starving to death on desert island and a bunny rabbit was there for the taking it would seem less rational to view the human race as not part of the food chain and accept death by starvation. Rest of my family are veggies and I argue the case that only those who would choose death by starvation (not the same as not having the stomach to kill for food) have the right to criticize the act of killing an animal without intent to cause suffering.
    What's wrong is simply that the human race has abused its position at the top of the food chain and that is where the changes in attitude should be.
    I would criticise the American hunters on the grounds that the level of sportsmanship is so low that it hardly counts as sport, but that's subjective.
  • nice post dippenhall.
  • Not sure how sporting it is ? How about as our prisons are full we get some of the real scum bags dress em in an Arsenal shirt and give a count of ten before we start shooting, maybe on Blackheath in the snow so they can hide in the vast undergrowth? Charge £200 a shot ? loverly jubley.
  • Sorry, but you have to question someone's sanity if they get pleasure from killing animals...
  • Sponsored links:

• there are allot of people making a nice tidy sum from shooting game, rabbits etc up in the Scottish highlands etc..

not all that different really, except the animals in Africa are a bit bigger...

personally, i believe that we make far to much of a personal attachment to certain animals and disregard the ones we are used to eating.
    Cows can be very pleasant animals - as can chickens!

that said, i wouldn't kill anything if i didnt eat it.

this society eats far too much meat these days anyway!
  • WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]Sorry, but you have to question someone's sanity if they get pleasure from killing animals...
    I don't think you have to. Killing, preying, hunting etc is a human trait and has been for millions of years. Cultures and beliefs may have changed but to see people still finding pleasure in the act is not that surprising in my opinion.

Although in "cavemen" times and to a certain extent, many nomadic cultures and tribes nowadays rely on the killing of animals. The more "western" cultures may not need to kill animals but maybe it is a natural instinct to kill? It has just evolved for some people from a need to a want and in others disappeared altogether.
  • Having been out in SA quite a few times there is no arguing that their approach to "game management" works to the point that they now have too many Elephants in places such as Kruger and will either export them to other areas of Africa whose Elephant populations are dwindling, or will cull them and sell the ivory on the market as Elephants are hugely damaging if their numbers are left untapped and will destroy the habitats of everything else.

The profits from both approaches is then reinvested back into the projects and pays for things such as anti poaching patrols, miles and miles of electrified fencing, ensuring that the environments are free of non-indigenous flora and fauna and breeding programmes for other endangered species.

I know it must seem harsh to breed these animals for this purpose, but what you have to remember is that this approach is the only approach that ensures that local people see that nature needs to be preserved and that they can make money from it as opposed to seeing it as more profitable to hunt Black Rhino, for example, to extinction just because the Chinese want to turn it into a cup of tea cos they think it will cure their in growing toenail. It also means that more and more land is being returned back to its original state and therefore not only supporting the large game, but also the less hi-profile, but no less important indigenous birds, insects and smaller mammals that were also struggling to survive.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]Sorry, but you have to question someone's sanity if they get pleasure from killing animals...[/quote]

The killing is the outcome of hunting it is not the source of the pleasure, if there is pleasure in killing then there is a sanity issue. Would you accuse a person who ate an oyster of enjoying killing it? Its purely cultural as to what is seen by society as acceptable to be killed for food and how it is killed. Like SE10 says just depends how big the creature is and I would add whether it is furry and cuddly like a monkey or a baby seal.
  • edited April 2008
    If something like this allowed for proper game reserves that were properly policed I'd reluctantly be in favour (due to animal cruelty, although I agree there isn't much difference between domestic rearing and this) and meant in an increase particularly of endangered species on reserves, this didn't seem to be the case though. I guess it doesn't exactly generate respect for animals but then neither does factory farming domestic cows either.
  • edited April 2008
    On a more lighter note, when I went to a game reserve in SA I jokingly asked on paying for the safari, where do I collect my shot gun and was politely told that we were not allowed to shoot any animals. So I said how were we suppose to bag a lion or one of the big five...? The lady then explained politely that we were not allowed to shoot animals or carry guns/weapons as this was a game reserve for viewing animals.

On the drive round in the jeep spotting the animals; lion, giraffe, rhino etc I did keep asking the ranger whether they were good to eat and for any serving suggestions.

One funny response was the impala were considered the McDonalds of the plains as they are eaten by most of the carnivorous animals as they have the McDonalds sign - big M - on their arses.
  • Any see the Tiger programme on BBC before this?

Hope they survive :-(
  • Didnt see the programme.

I dont really see any difference between what Fat Americans are doing now to what Rich Englishman have been doing for the last 200 years.
  • or scots or welsh
  • As I am English I am happy to focus on my own countrymen.