Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Sat 7th April 1984. Charlton 1 Newcastle 3

2»

Comments

• I got Keegans autograph as he got off the coach. Still got it somewhere.

I think they were promoted (or as good as) after this result.

Finally got round to digging this out

• went to both the Newcastle and Spurs games, 2 of the largest crowds I ever saw at the Valley, the Keven Keegan factor certainly put a few on the gate, my real memory though was a group of Charlton running across the pitch and around the old Marmon stand to have a go at the Newcastle fans, it really stuck with me as a 16 year old.

The Spurs game was the night before I joined the army so my head was everywhere but I have a vivid memory of Glen Hoddle in front of the Covered End picking up coins that had been thrown at him, winking and shoving them down his socks.

So two big games and its the disorder that stands out more than the football!
  • SE7toSG3 said:

went to both the Newcastle and Spurs games, 2 of the largest crowds I ever saw at the Valley, the Keven Keegan factor certainly put a few on the gate, my real memory though was a group of Charlton running across the pitch and around the old Marmon stand to have a go at the Newcastle fans, it really stuck with me as a 16 year old.

The Spurs game was the night before I joined the army so my head was everywhere but I have a vivid memory of Glen Hoddle in front of the Covered End picking up coins that had been thrown at him, winking and shoving them down his socks.

So two big games and its the disorder that stands out more than the football!

Mary Hopkins.
  • true that, I thought they'd never end..